Hydraulic Jackplate Worth the Investment?

I'm considering upgrading to a hydraulic jackplate on my 2012 Nitro z8 with a 250 Merc 2 ProXS. I think it will help me dial in the performance of the boat, and also allow me to feel more comfortable running shallow water in Florida. You guys that have made the upgrade, was it worth it and what did you get?

if you fish a shallow lake from what I understand yes if not no.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Put a bobs on mine this season, love it. Nice to be able adjust for different loads(full wells, co anglers,ect), also great when things get sloppy. I personally don't notice big proformace gains

4. mikesxpress
    The infinite adjustment capabilities of a hyd plate allow you to gain the best performance out of your rig as well as adjust for better ride conditions in rough water. Depending on the setup it can also aide in hole shot by varying the height for take off and then reposition to running position.

^^^ what he said^^^ wouldn't be without one.

6. Banned
    If $1000- $1500 is what your willing to spend for that extra 1-2mph, then yes it's worth it... Just be careful when you playing with engine height... Water pressure and engine temp gauges are a MUST HAVE if you hang your motor on a hydraulic plate... Dan

7. Member
    Depends on the type of person you are, if you are like me and most others that constantly tinkering with props and jack plate adjustments trying to get the most out of your rig then a Hyd Jackplate is definitely worth the money, but if you are the type that just goes fishing and never worries about getting top speed out of your boat then no you want need one. Like others have said rougher water, hole shot for heavy loads running shallow there are alot of benefits having one. I will never own a boat with one that and an ultrex are a must

For me it is. I have had an 8" Atlas on my Stratos for 8 years. I had a 6" manual JP before that. I run some shallow water and like being able to adjust the motor height according to the conditions. I also idle through a lot of shallow water and raising the plate in those situations is helpful too. Like Dan said make sure you watch your WP gauge when running and adjusting motor height.

There have been many times when I needed to raise my motor to get into and out of some back water areas off the Ohio River, then lower the motor once back in the river channel to deal with running through 2' waves.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

9. Member
    For me it's absolutely worth it but I fish from the Upper Mississippi river backwaters (and other shallow river systems) to Sturgeon Bay. I can get up on plane in less than 2' of water and then drop it down once on plane or bury it when it's rough. Being able to adjust for water depth and conditions is great, for me any extra speed is just a bonus. You've gotta learn how to use it though. Besides having a water pressure gauge you should really get the jackplate gauge too. Looking back to see how high or low you are isn't ideal and probably not safe.

I fish a few places where I wish I still had one, but for the most part I feel like for me its just wasting money. My last boat I opted for the manual plate, and never had any regrets. If I kept my boats longer I would prolly add a hydraulic to it.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team