Thread: UFP A60

UFP A60

When hooked to electric only it lights the trailer backup lights. When totally hooked up it sometimes lights the trailer backup lights ... other times
    the brakes don't release. The manual lockout disc works some times. What am I missing?
    ufp.jpg
    What is this all about? Excuse my ignorance.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    The black cap is the master cylinder reservoir where you can add brake fluid.

Could you clarify what "hooked to electric only" and "totally hooked up"means?

I am a little confused by those terms.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    The black cap is the master cylinder reservoir where you can add brake fluid.

Could you clarify what "hooked to electric only" and "totally hooked up"means?

I am a little confused by those terms.
    Hooked to electric only means the trailer is not connected - not on the hitch - only the 5flat electrical connection is pugged in - to see if the trailer backup lights activate when the truck is put in reverse.
    "totally hooked-up" means that the trailer is totally hooked up and ready to drive away - chains, electric connected, you know, totally hooked up.

I recently had the brakes redone - maybe lost some fluid.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

4. Member
    Got it

Sounds like a wiring/ harness problem the ground if intermittent.

The ground should not come through the ball/hitch connection.

The brake solenoid and reverse lights are powered though the same wire connection.

The solenoid ground is usually supplied by the solenoid mounting bolt to the frame ground.

Check the frame/ground screw connection and/or clean with a wire brush.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Got it

Sounds like a wiring/ harness problem the ground if intermittent.

The ground should not come through the ball/hitch connection.

The brake solenoid and reverse lights are powered though the same wire connection.

The solenoid ground is usually supplied by the solenoid mounting bolt to the frame ground.

Check the frame/ground screw connection and/or clean with a wire brush.

I have seen some that grounding by the hitch does complete the ground

6. Member
    I have seen some that grounding by the hitch does complete the ground
    You may have seen it work, intermittently, but is not considered an acceptable method to maintain a ground connection to the trailer from the tow vehicle.

Have never seen that as an acceptable ground method in any manuf. manual.

Have the "ground through hitch" in print anywhere handy to post a pic or link for review?

Truth be told I'm not in the physical shape to be crawling around on the ground checking wiring. I can get down there but moving around and getting up and down again is not fun. When I was a young man … no problem. I took the trailer to the shop that did the brakes... R A Adams Trailer in McHenry, IL. They will diagnose the problem and fix it. Then I can report what they found. Maybe its the solenoid... maybe a bad wire or intermittent ground - beats me. I look much better leaning against the butt seat or standing next to it. I appreciate your input

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

OK- so the end of the story is a wire connecting the 5 flat to the trailer wiring was loose at the connector. Got it reconnected and the issue was solved.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

9. Member
    OK- so the end of the story is a wire connecting the 5 flat to the trailer wiring was loose at the connector. Got it reconnected and the issue was solved.

Thanks for posting the resolution.