Help Me Understand COVID Unemployment Benefits

My wife was fired back in April because of the economic downturn related to COVID. Her employer told her she could file for unemployment and, without question, would be eligible. She applied and received only around $600.00 in benefits from the State before finding work in mid June.

We recently got a letter from the Department of Workforce stating that they had overturned her Determination of Eligibility and that we must repay them $789.00. It also stated that their decision could not be appealed..!

I could understand paying back the $600.00 (even though she had no income for more than 8 weeks)?? but I cannot wrap my head around their logic that we owe them $189.00 more than what she received?? I'm almost wondering if someone else is filing under her name??
    Has anyone had experience contesting these type of things? I'm not sure if we have any options here but to just grin and bear it. This is like a runaway train.

2. Banned
    Seems to be happening over here in Ohio also. Read an article in the local paper about other people in your predicament... They didn't provide any insight just highlighted their situations... Hope you get it figured out in you favor... Dan

3. Banned
    I got paperwork in my office last week concerning people that never even worked for me.

4. Member
    Something doesn’t sound right. She was laid off so she should b eligible for benefits. Sounds like maybe someone at her workplace screwed up or more likely in the state unemployment office. I would contact your state attorney general office.

5. Banned
    I'm thinking this is going to happen to a lot of people once this all gets caught up.
    My wife is dealing with employees trying to game the system. I know you didn't OP but there's a lot of abuse going on right now. With states being broke something tells me they're going to look into these claims later on.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    I'm thinking this is going to happen to a lot of people once this all gets caught up.
    My wife is dealing with employees trying to game the system. I know you didn't OP but there's a lot of abuse going on right now. With states being broke something tells me they're going to look into these claims later on.
    The $1200 stimulus money was sent to a lot of dead people. When the IRS figured it out, they said they'd provide and envelope for the return of that money, but likely not go after it. Probably what will happen here with most of those fraud cases.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditch_Pickle View Post
    The $1200 stimulus money was sent to a lot of dead people. When the IRS figured it out, they said they'd provide and envelope for the return of that money, but likely not go after it. Probably what will happen here with most of those fraud cases.
    Something tells me the states need the money more than the feds. Guess we'll wait and see.
    I just can't wait for July 31. Lots of people talking with no skin in the game. Let's see what happens when unemployment runs out and they have to deal with the public.

8. Banned
    Last items I read that upwards of $30 Billion siphoned off/diverted/erroneously mailed...

Some places never quit operations and all the employees never missed work and they split $7.5m between 14 employees

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Last items I read that upwards of $30 Billion siphoned off/diverted/erroneously mailed...

Some places never quit operations and all the employees never missed work and they split $7.5m between 14 employees
    When it came to the fed small business loan program I know two people that never shutdown. They both got the loans and bought toys with it. Well, not with that money, they used there own and used the loan funds to pay the bills.

Lots of crazy stuff going on. Americans have more money in savings than ever.

10. Member
    Sounds like her previous company didnt want to pay so they are wanting the money back. I would lawyer up. Its BS saying you cant appeal.

11. Banned
    I fired a guy last August. He started his own business in September and has since been posting pics of his work on Fascistbook on a weekly basis. We got a letter in mid June that he had filed for unemployment against our business in late April. The timing coincided with the extra 600 bucks a week. I'm certain that his wife saw the extra money and pushed him to file for that extra money. We contested the claim and sent the info to them of his Fascistbook postings of all of his work. Now we wait and see what happens. Hopefully, they nail his sorry ass to the wall for fraud and make him pay back any monies he recieved.

It looks like you can appeal as did the person in the article.
    https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/...nt-system.html
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    I would lawyer up.
    Over $189?

14. Member
    To the OP, there’s a significant difference between fired and laid off. You said she was fired. Is that accurate?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Sounds like her previous company didnt want to pay so they are wanting the money back. I would lawyer up. Its BS saying you cant appeal.
    Unemployment benefit payments are paid while you are employed, so the money is already paid in or no money to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    To the OP, there’s a significant difference between fired and laid off. You said she was fired. Is that accurate?
    That’s what I was wondering. If you are fired you get zero benefits.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    My sister worked for Active Day adult
    daycare.They sent every employee a
    letter of termination because of the
    covid shutdown.They will be
    required to rehire IF they even
    reopen.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    It's possible that different States have different unem laws....but I had a boss that never fired anybody. Instead, he would brow-beat them and harass them until they quit. If THEY quit, they did not qualify for unem, so he'd get his contribution back at the end of the year. If he fired them, they could draw unem after very little waiting period. If he had laid them off, there was a waiting period of 2 weeks, as I recall. But likely different in different States.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Yeah fired. Her employer told her because it was due to COVID she could file for unemployment. That's what you get when you trust the people you work for I suppose.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BackLash625 View Post
    Yeah fired. Her employer told her because it was due to COVID she could file for unemployment. That's what you get when you trust the people you work for I suppose.
    She was fired over the virus? That isn’t something that would prevent her from drawing unemployment. I wouldn’t pay anything back until I had my opinion heard.