Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    I looked at the smallest model fiberglass rigs offered by Nitro, Ranger and Triton and the 18.5' "cookie cutter" tin rigs from numerous manufacturers including Ranger, Tracker, Lund, G3, Crestliner, Lowe and Alumacraft. This size aluminum offered much more in the fishability category than the small fiberglass rigs (the Nitro was close) in my opinion so I opted for the aluminum over fiberglass.

Out of all the tin brands mentioned, I thought the Ranger was by far the "nicest" all around. The Tracker probably would have rode the best. The Lund had the largest decks. Each brand seemed to have something, but the Ranger easily won all around. Others were lacking in areas whether it be finish, detail, carpet, seats, storage, trailer, etc.

Mine is a 2018 purchased new and still has the Ranger made trailer. I think that the boat fishes great, has adequate speed for me (46-47 MPH) and adequate storage. I can fit 8 1/2' musky rods in the rod locker. I do wish the front side compartments ran the entire length of the deck however. I can't really think of any negatives regarding the boat or the trailer so far.

I guess that I have been lucky in the fact that my storage is "nearly" completely dry after the heaviest of rains.

If I stick with tin, I will get a Vexus next time. My dealer was also a Vexus dealer and I looked at a couple when I picked my boat up and also looked at them at a show. Very nice tin boats for sure.
    Murph,

I'm curious what boat did you buy? Why would you think "the Tracker probably would have rode the best"? I had a PT-190 and it sucked for running and handling. The best thing about it was the 90 Optimax and the fishing platform. The Rangers and Tritons that I looked at back in the fall of 2018 were really nice as far as fit and finish I could see. It's what you don't see that I'm interested in knowing about. Thanks
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

2. Member
    Got my RT178 from Rudy at Dixie Marine he beat everyone else’s price.Had my boat a few weeks and noticed there was no navigation lights in the lockers called Rudy and had a set at my doorstep in 3 days.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Murph,

I'm curious what boat did you buy? Why would you think "the Tracker probably would have rode the best"? I had a PT-190 and it sucked for running and handling. The best thing about it was the 90 Optimax and the fishing platform. The Rangers and Tritons that I looked at back in the fall of 2018 were really nice as far as fit and finish I could see. It's what you don't see that I'm interested in knowing about. Thanks
    Al, I ended up buying the RT188. In regards to ride, I just assumed that the more "V" style of the Tracker hull would be a smoother and drier ride than the jon boat style hull on the others, particularly in some chop. I do get some spray when it's a little rough. I'm not used to that as I have previously always ran a deep V like many others here in the upper midwest.

I hope you're enjoying your G3. For sure you can't beat that Yamaha on the back!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    And I love how they sit so Level in the water. Probably the best hull to fish from with the TM down IMO. I have even noticed the Vexus tend to be a little bow high when sitting still, nothing major but still I personally would prefer a more level Hull while at rest, and Ranger did a very good job in that regards.
    100% agree with this. My Tracker PT175 was like fishing during a log rolling competition as the hull design made the front deck very unstable to move around on while on the TM. My RT188 has been everything I hoped it would be and now with the lithiums and the incoming Ghost, I just don't see myself needing anything else for a long time! After owning a Tracker before this, I would not own a post JM RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Murph,

Having owned both a RT188 and now a Tracker 195 I can tell you first hand if you dont like the Tracker ride, dont buy a Ranger. The Tracker is a much better rough water boat, hands down. Now fit and finish, trailer(I had a Ranger trailer), fishability all go to Ranger. I like this new Tracker a lot but it has shortcomings but so did the Ranger, especially the crappy paint job that flakes if you sneeze to hard.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Having owned both a RT188 and now a Tracker 195 I can tell you first hand if you dont like the Tracker ride, dont buy a Ranger. The Tracker is a much better rough water boat, hands down. Now fit and finish, trailer(I had a Ranger trailer), fishability all go to Ranger. I like this new Tracker a lot but it has shortcomings but so did the Ranger, especially the crappy paint job that flakes if you sneeze to hard.
    I did not like how high the bow sits on the Tracker. That boat sits very uneven and I think that is what causes the thing to tip so much side to side. It is just not stable. It rides better than the Ranger in rough water, they are both fine in medium water, But down here the lakes are not big for the most part except Big O and fishing with the trolling motor is much more important than riding around. Most of my time in the boat is with the TM down. The Ranger is not a bad ride but the 195 is better in rough open water.

I think you must have had a bad paint job. Maybe it was not prepped properly. I have other friends with the RTs and I admit that the paint will scratch but you are the first I ever heard say it flaked. None that I know about do, but they will scratch.

In our club, I have been around some of each brand .... Two things I notice - one is that the Ranger had a LOT less little things go bad as the quality is better....two is that if you want to ride around in open rough water that the Tracker rides better and if you want to fish that the Ranger is a much much better front end to fish from. I mainly fish.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 07-07-2020 at 07:06 PM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

7. Member
    I like the console on the RT better for mounting a graph flush or with bracket and for laying rods alongside it.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I did not like how high the bow sits on the Tracker. That boat sits very uneven and I think that is what causes the thing to tip so much side to side. It is just not stable. It rides better than the Ranger in rough water, they are both fine in medium water, But down here the lakes are not big for the most part except Big O and fishing with the trolling motor is much more important than riding around. Most of my time in the boat is with the TM down. The Ranger is not a bad ride but the 195 is better in rough open water.

I think you must have had a bad paint job. Maybe it was not prepped properly. I have other friends with the RTs and I admit that the paint will scratch but you are the first I ever heard say it flaked. None that I know about do, but they will scratch.

In our club, I have been around some of each brand .... Two things I notice - one is that the Ranger had a LOT less little things go bad as the quality is better....two is that if you want to ride around in open rough water that the Tracker rides better and if you want to fish that the Ranger is a much much better front end to fish from. I mainly fish.
    As I noted fishability was better in the Ranger mainly because it sat near level in the water. I went from a 70# in my Ranger to an 80# TM on the Tracker and I believe it helps a lot but it isn't as good as the Ranger was. My paint like many on here with the first year or two ranger have had paint issues, the Tracker is powder coat, much tougher. A 195 has a 98" beam so no it doesn't tip even when I stand next to the gunnel and I weigh 300#'s, the wide beam is very stable. I have owned and operated both, I wanted the RT198 when we upgraded and the coin box made me lose as the wife wanted a third seat. We went to buy that day, she won but I have no regrets.
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    This is where the problem is.... The RT is not perfect, but it is a very good boat. This is in large part because of the people building it, and the customer service from Flippin. I doubt very many of these people sold their homes and moved their families to Lebanon. So the issue is WHO is now building the boat and with what type materials. I very much doubt they offer a factory tour so you can see. I toured the Ranger glass plant and the aluminum plant on 3 or 4 occasions. They were proud to show you what they were up to and WHO was building their boats. They had pride in their work.

They probably just moved the Ranger machinery, which was state of the art. The pride probably stayed in Flippin.
    This is correct. The employees are low payed for tig and Mig welders at all the plants in Lebanon Missourie. Tracker, Lowe, G3, Landau. These guys leave one plant and move to the other from year to year. This is a very poor erea that is held up by mostly those four boat builders. Would not shock me to see the Ranger Aluminum line be deleted from the ranger lineup shortly. Their are very few in that town that care about quality. When the interior of the RT ranger boats decline and they will just as the other builders in that town. That pricey boat will not sell just because it says Ranger on the side.

10. Member
    This is my second summer with my 2018 RT188 which was purchased new. I love the boat but it is not without it’s (minor) issues. I am disappointed in the following;

Bow step plate (plastic) cracked
    Plastic trim piece under the rod locker door cracked
    Small areas on both the front and rear decks where the carpet glue has failed

The lockers ARE NOT water tight! If it rains hard or for any length of time, the contents will get wet. I once got caught in a downpour on the way home from the lake and didn’t want to cover the boat wet and in the rain. The next morning, I had to use a shopvac to get all the water out of the rod locker.

Having said all that, I still love the boat and am very happy I chose it.

Quote Originally Posted by texoma View Post
    This is correct. The employees are low payed for tig and Mig welders at all the plants in Lebanon Missourie. Tracker, Lowe, G3, Landau. These guys leave one plant and move to the other from year to year. This is a very poor erea that is held up by mostly those four boat builders. Would not shock me to see the Ranger Aluminum line be deleted from the ranger lineup shortly. Their are very few in that town that care about quality. When the interior of the RT ranger boats decline and they will just as the other builders in that town. That pricey boat will not sell just because it says Ranger on the side.
    I don't like to read stuff like this but, I wonder if that's why I have a problem. I have a 2018 G3 Sportsman 17. I bought the boat in Nov 18 and really didn't use it until spring of 19. One day on the water, the floor came up, hard to explain but it kind of buckled and it teeter tottered back and forth in one spot in front of the passenger seat. As I used the boat the floor seemed to settle down and you couldn't always feel the buckle in it. Anyway talking with G3 who assures me they will fix it, they think they missed a weld in the flooring and it will be fixed. I'm just waiting on a dealer who jus took on G3 boats and he assured me they will take care of it. I did look at the Ranger and Triton beck before I bought the G3 but with having two previous G3 mod V's and they were flawless, I went with another one.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

12. Member
    Be in the market in 3 years because my twins will be boating age by then, till then my son and I will continue in our Triton. Was really considering the Ranger VX1888 because I need something that can handle a family and fishing. BUT, if the quality goes down the price sure wont. May have to look at the Lund or Alumacraft down the road. Sure do like that Ranger though, has some cool features I don't see on other rigs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12