Opti Max Oil vs Mercury DFI

I have a 2006 200 HP Opti Max. I have always purchased Opti Max Oil. Can I use Mercury Quick Silver DFI Oil? I recently heard it is the same as Opti Max Oil.

2. Banned
    It's a brown colored oil, right???... Yes it's the same oil... One packaged under the Mercury label and the other under the Quick Silver label... Mercury label sold by authorized Mercury dealers, Quick Silver sold by Walmart, Auto Zone... Dan

3. Member
    Label must indicate DFI.

4. Member
    Yes, exactly. It is the Quicksilver.

5. Member
    Thanks Savage

6. Member
    There's not much saving between Mercury Optimax oil and other aftermarket oils. I used aftermarket oils, but then I went back to Mercury Optimax. Mercury oil makes the outboard run smoother, start easier, and quieter, and less smell, too.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevechumo View Post
    There's not much saving between Mercury Optimax oil and other aftermarket oils. I used aftermarket oils, but then I went back to Mercury Optimax. Mercury oil makes the outboard run smoother, start easier, and quieter, and less smell, too.
    Quick Silver dfi oil is not an after market oil,it’s made by/for Mercury.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Mercury Optimax/DFI Oil and Quicksilver Optimax/DFI Oil are the exact same product, just different packaging.

See FAQ Section for more information.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    so help here please. I have a 2017 PRO XS 200 [sn2B401890] dealer has me run Optimax/DFI-black jug. Since I have moved the dealers are split as to continuing to use Optimax oil or switch to DFI [silver jug] I think I remember reading about using the DFI if you do a lot of low rpm? Thanks

10. Member
    I think the black jug is mercury ‘brand’ and the silver jug is Quicksilver ‘Brand’. I believe Mercury Optimax Oil in a black jug is identical to Quicksilver DFI oil in a Silver Jug.... At least that is my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by hoytkimbershimano View Post
    I think the black jug is mercury ‘brand’ and the silver jug is Quicksilver ‘Brand’. I believe Mercury Optimax Oil in a black jug is identical to Quicksilver DFI oil in a Silver Jug.... At least that is my understanding.
    Correct.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

12. Member
    See reply #8.

Mercury Optimax/DFI Oil and Quicksilver Optimax/DFI Oil are the exact same product, just different packaging.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Also... dabass, be sure to take a moment to review the Forum Announcements. One engine per post/topic/thread to avoid confusion (and thread hi-jacking). Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Thanks Don!