Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 225 pro xs on Stratos 200 XL

I just put a new pro xs on my 2008 stratos. The trim limit does not allow the bow to come up and reach full performance. Any ideas on what to do?

2. Member
    Trim wedges. 5 degrees from bobs machine

Ur prop
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R Warner View Post
    Trim wedges. 5 degrees from bobs machine
    this will not work as I understand. Have tried and the motor stops earlier to compensate for the increased angle. One of the reasons I dont want to repower my Champ, it NEEDS the increased angle to run

5. Member
    That is insane that there isn't a way to adjust the trim limit!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentmcneal View Post
    That is insane that there isn't a way to adjust the trim limit!
    Yes, it seems you can't "fool" the computer with trim extenders or wedges. IF it is indeed limited by the computer and you can't have it changed via programmer... That would be a deal breaker for a lot of people planning to repower.

7. Member
    I wish I knew that was an issue before I bought the engine. Not real happy with that.

its not....
    change the prop

9. Member
    What prop do you recommend? I tried a 23, 24 and 25 pitch fury.

a 3 blade fury doesn't have the lift ... try a 4 blade...
    my favorite and highest suggestion would be a odd pitch bravo xs...
    25 or 27p bravo xs...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    this will not work as I understand. Have tried and the motor stops earlier to compensate for the increased angle. One of the reasons I dont want to repower my Champ, it NEEDS the increased angle to run
    Hmmm. So trim wedges can be used for adding more positive or negative trim by simply flipping them over.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R Warner View Post
    Hmmm. So trim wedges can be used for adding more positive or negative trim by simply flipping them over.
    NOT between the engine and the Jackplate (prohibited via Service Bulletin).

There are jackplates that have built-in increase angle (Rapid-Jack for instance... see these on some Bullets for the last few years).

Also, the Tilt Limit and the Trim Limit ARE adjustable (up to the maximum angle permitted) via the G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System.

Be sure to check all of the mounting hardware and jackplate hardware (not uncommon to see -2 to -4 degrees TUCK due to loose or improperly torqued hardware).

If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Don. Aren’t wedges supposed to be installed between the plate and transom? What I was saying is that wedges can be used to change the angle for more positive or more negative trim.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That question has been asked repeatedly of Mercury- who has Revised the original bulletin to make the situation as clear as possible (The Mounting Fasteners are to be used ONLY for mounting the engine to the jackplate or the Jackplate to the Transom... no other devices should be on the fasteners). Reference Mercury SB 2013-15R1 for more information.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    NOT between the engine and the Jackplate (prohibited via Service Bulletin).

There are jackplates that have built-in increase angle (Rapid-Jack for instance... see these on some Bullets for the last few years).

Also, the Tilt Limit and the Trim Limit ARE adjustable (up to the maximum angle permitted) via the G3-2019 Computer Diagnostic System.

Be sure to check all of the mounting hardware and jackplate hardware (not uncommon to see -2 to -4 degrees TUCK due to loose or improperly torqued hardware).

If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!
    Good to know that it is adjustable via computer. How does the maximum trim angle on a 250 pro xs 4 stroke compare to the maximum trim angle of the 2 stroke? Same range?

16. Member
    Serial number for my motor is 2B776215. I didnt see that as a requirement, my bad. Hopefully I can get this problem figured out!

I cant see why I cannot use a 3 blade fury prop on a 20 foot stratos and get appropriate lift and performance. Surely Mercury has had this issue with other boats getting re powered. My dealership suggested trim extenders, so we are going to try that.
    Last edited by brentmcneal; 07-07-2020 at 05:08 AM.

17. Banned
    Stratos' love Tempest... Not sure if the 4 stokes have change that... Worth a try... Dan

18. Member
    My stratos 201 I have both a fury 3 and a tempest. Maybe my tempest isn't up to par it was in my boat when I got it . My fury 3 runs way better. I scarred it up so I'm going to try a fury 4 or bravo. I wonder what would normally have more lift a fury 3 or fury 4. Might be a good question on the prop forum.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IMHO... the Fury 3 seems to have more consistent lift.

20. Member
    The trim extenders didn't help. Why can't I just bypass that trim limit switch? How do you do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast