Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trailer problems

The boat is 5 years old. For a year now I been having issues with my Phoenix trailer. The main issue is it keeps blowing tires. I have blew 6 tires in less than a year and have now blown a tire that is only a week old. I can't figure if there is a problem with the trailer or are the tires are trash.

It doesn't seem to cause adnormal thread wear. The tires just come apart at the seams. The last tire I blew was a week old and it was a mixxis m8008 D load rate.

The other problem i am having with the trailer is the brakes keep falling apart. 3rd set of brakes and the shoes keep breaking in half falling down and clanging around in the rim. I am beginning to think the whole trailer is junk.

Its not the same tire that keeps blowing all have

I have a 2015 and found the plastic brake line was bunched up and pinched inside the swing hitch. It caused the brakes to stay applied longer than normal. Pads wore out fast and fell off causing metal to metal issue. Hand to pull out the bundle of brake line and uncoil pinch point. Installed new rotors and pads and serviced wheel bearings. May want to check the brake line.

4. Member
    Are the tires on the same axle? or same side?

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

Quote Originally Posted by GBhoss View Post
    Are the tires on the same axle? or same side?
    All four have blown at least once in a year. The last two weeks the two that have blown were on the back axel opposite sides.

When the one blew last week I replaced all 4 now the one on opposite side blew. The tire that blew today was a week old

It's not possible you have a spring sagging issue causing fenders to contact tires since they are shredding.

So now I'm checking my trailer and find the passenger side rear tire is visibly closer to fender. Don't think they are close enough to rub the fender yet but if you check the mounting screws for the carpeted inner fender some are longer than others. I'm going to remove all for wheels and cut them all back. Only takes one screw to cut down a tire. Can you tell if the tires were damaged from the inside? This could be the problem.

9. Member
    It’s definitely not bad tires! You blowing that many tires....there’s a serious issue going on. Sorry stating the obvious but you asked if it could be the tires.

Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    It's not possible you have a spring sagging issue causing fenders to contact tires since they are shredding.
    There is nothing anywhere close to rubbing the back of the tires.

I am gonna talk to an alignment guy to see if they can check the alignment.

When I spin the hubs everything seems ok I don't think there's a problem there.

Keep us posted on the outcome. I'm probably going to have the passenger side rear leaf spring replaced. Figure it's due to the heavy lead batteries more on pass side.

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by gaston13 View Post
    I have a 2015 and found the plastic brake line was bunched up and pinched inside the swing hitch. It caused the brakes to stay applied longer than normal. Pads wore out fast and fell off causing metal to metal issue. Hand to pull out the bundle of brake line and uncoil pinch point. Installed new rotors and pads and serviced wheel bearings. May want to check the brake line.
    I pulled that line out and have it looped on top of the spare. I had problems with my new trailer from day one with only getting brakes to apply on one side of the trailer. Called MM and they recommended adding a bleeder to each caliper. This solved my braking problem but after a lot of headache trying to bleed the system with the one bleeder. It didn't work.

I still have electrical grounding issues with the trailer.

In the OP's case, I'm wondering if the brakes are applying too hard and the tires are shredding under abnormally high braking loads.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    Any screws or bolt heads from the fender skirt where its carpeted sticking out??

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Any screws or bolt heads from the fender skirt where its carpeted sticking out??
    No I checked that yesterday

16. Member
    What is air pressure in them and what is the class tire?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    What is air pressure in them and what is the class tire?

The 3 remaining tires were at 55 psi. The psi rating is 65 max. All the research I done suggests I should run them at max psi. So the shop that installed them shorted me 10psi.

Does this account for a blowout? I didn't check behind them.

They are D load rate

19. Member
    Check your springs for cracks between the u bolts is usually where they fail. Also is the load rating on the tire correct?
    Please release me,let me go.

They are D load rated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast