Water leak on compressor

Serial number in my signature.

I have a water leak on or near the compressor.
    Could it be the compressor cooling water hose above tthe air line?

No noticeable leaks while running on the muffs.

See pics:

20200704_085119.jpg

2. Member
    Yes.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How much corrosion do you have on the grounds straps for the coil plate, and on the Alternator? Running this in Salt or Brackish Water?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Im running it offshore in saltwater.
    The alternator may have had some
    saltwater enter being it was close to
    the leak source. I will be changing out
    the molded hose at the top of the compressor. Also found a drip from the water pressure sensor compression fitting, so I'll be changing it out as well.

I actually pulled all the port side coils and ohmed them out today. The coil ground straps didnt look excessively corroded but, I cleaned them, applied dielectric grease anyway, and rebolted to the bracket.

I'm sure some water vapor entered the engine through the intake since water was leaking while running.

Any reccomendations?
    Last edited by greauxpete; 07-06-2020 at 08:45 PM.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IF the water OUTLET hose on the compressor (under flywheel cover) is not split, cut or otherwise worn/damaged, you will need to follow the water-spots and corrosive damage to centralize an area you should be focused on. Don't overlook the possibility of o-rings leaking at a head, or a pin-hole in the block (even underneath the alternator).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    My plan was to run it at or near WOT (max water pressure) with
    the cowl off in smooth water to check for remaining leaks.

Is there a better way to check for leaks?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated?
    Last edited by greauxpete; 07-07-2020 at 02:23 PM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Visual inspections, then running engine on earmuffs/low water inlet cover to watch for any water droplets forming.

And if none can be found, the old "Lotrimin Athlete's Foot Spray Powder" trick might be useful.

8. Member
    Thanks Don.

This evening, I repaired the pressure sensor compression fitting, leak fixed (on muffs).

I cut the old zip tie off of the compressor cooling water outlet hose and installed a new (radius) zip tie.
    No leaks after a 30 minute run on the muffs.
    I think I will change the 18 year old hose for peace of mind.

Going to run with cowl off this weekend in protected water.