115 Etec Hot alarm?

115 Etec HO
    Serial 05490488

water pump/tstats /filters are less than 1 year old.
    dressed Powerhead 1 year old. (replaced after having faultyEMM)
    Have had motor since new (2017) on RT188. WOT RPM 5850 =/-. no issues at all leading up to this. gas is always eth free 87/91

Put in at dock, started/warm up for 2-3 min . Ran up river WOT 2 miles. Let motor idle for a minute before turning it off. fished for 90min. In 10 FOW, turn key and fired up motor, gague light immediately lights up "HOT" on gauge and solid alarm. motor in slow /limp mode. turned off and checked LU intake,nothing blocking. water pressure in neutral is normal, peeing water fine and it isn't really too warm. cowling off and no signs of anything abnormal visually. Troll about 100 yards out of backwater and tried again -no alarm. ran up river 5-6miles wot no issues.RPM/water psi/speed all perfect. fished another spot-same issue....hotalarm. water psi normal/perfect stream not runningrough. pulled cowling, trimmed motor up . turned key on to check for alarm-nothing. started her up, ran back to dock no issues. left motor running atdock to put on trailer. EV diagnostics has engine temp exceeded code per the dealer. I still have 7 years of B.E.S.T left so i'm not concerned...yet. Anything I can look for before he gets it in next week?
    Last edited by iabass8; 07-04-2020 at 05:47 PM.

If you fished for an hour then there is a good chance the engine was not hot when you started it, if you have a system check gauge it could be faulty, the gauge drives the horn, so a false warning light would make the horn come on.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    If you fished for an hour then there is a good chance the engine was not hot when you started it, if you have a system check gauge it could be faulty, the gauge drives the horn, so a false warning light would make the horn come on.
    I do indeed have a system check gauge. Would a false warning light also cause the motor to go into guardian/safe mode though?

It should not set SAFE but stranger things have happened, if it indeed stored a code that will lead the technician to what need to be inspected.

5. Member
    It should not set SAFE but stranger things have happened, if it indeed stored a code that will lead the technician to what need to be inspected.
    got my hopes up! lol. dock wasn't far from dealer. we hooked it up and it stored 2 separate engine temp overheat codes. I don't know which ones specifically i Just got a glance at it and sayit said engine temp exceeded. He thought it could be the sensor that I think is located under cylinder 1? but he can't get to it until next week. he said there's a few things it told him to look at.

The biggest thing is you had set there for an hour and your description said it set the horn and light as soon as you started it, that engine could not be hot even if you were fishing in the dump water of a steam plant the engine should not be hot.

I'm betting on something like a pinched wire or a bad sensor or something strange.

7. Member
    Guess when hooked up it shows all sensors showing 32 degrees at 0 rpm....dealer thinks its the EMM. Waiting to get through to evinrude.

That could be the issue, I'm sure its above 32 degrees in Iowa right now. Please have patience as the number of people available to answer dealers inquires are limited.

9. Member
    That could be the issue, I'm sure its above 32 degrees in Iowa right now. Please have patience as the number of people available to answer dealers inquires are limited.
    ha, yeah it’s averaging about 105 in the heat index since this happened through today and we just got 4 inches of rain yesterday so it’s really not a huge inconvenience. I’ll miss a couple tournaments but it’s not that big it’s so darn hot. My local dealer is awesome. I just hope he doesn’t have to wait weeks from us and he can have it next week

Should not be weeks, if he started a case, which is the best way to reach them, and he doesn't hear anything in a couple of days have him add a comment to the case, it brings it back to the top.