Thread: Trim help!

Trim help!

Boat worked great all day yesterday. Got home put it away like usual, go to get it out today and the trim won't work. The boat is fully charged, checked and reset all breakers numerous times. Seems to be an issue with the lift button on the motor. The lift button doesn't click, whereas the bottom button does. Is there an easy fix? Won't be able to get it to a shop for a while. Motor is a etec 115 ho g2.
    2020 White Vexus AVX 1880 Evinrude G2
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI
    Helix 9 G3N MDI w/ MEGA 360

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    What about the trim switch on the throttle?

3. Member
    Tried all three. Bow, gear control, motor. No dice
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI

4. Member
    A temporary fix might be to switch the wiring for the trim switch. Worth a try anyway in case it is just the switch or a bad connection.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Could be the "up" tilt relay. Definitely sounds like a warranty item, don't know that I'd jack really with it. I'm sure dealers could be looking for reasons to deny claims since Bomb's manufacturing shut down. Might pose the question in the OMC/Bomb motor forum and see if you can get consensus. Could also just be a plug on the relay come unplugged. I'm not familiar with Etec, but have a long electronics background, so that is where I'd start.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Make sure everything is connected under the cowling. I once had trim stop working simply because a plug came loose, it was an easy fix.

7. Member
    K. I'll double check tomorrow. It's just weird it quit working over night and that thre lift button no longer clicks like it should.

Thanks everyone for ideas.
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI

If no button clicks like it should then its an issue at the trim relays. You can post over in the evinrude forum and get a simple fix.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Member
    Now this morning I tapped on the trim switch at the motor and it started trimming all the way up. Trim switch at motor still didn't work, at the shifter it did but when I let off the down trim, it would immediately trim back up. The lift trim button on the motor still does not click like its supposed to. Seems stuck in.
    Ultrex 80 MDI iPilot
    Helix 9 G3N MSI

Try disconnecting the bow trim switch and see if it works at the drivers seat.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

11. Member
    If your ever on the water and it wont trim up, but it will go down, and vice versa, swap the relays to identify bad one, and take it out. Then place the good one in which ever slot you need action, either up or down. This will get you back to the ramp and on the trailer. Dont know about Ole' Evinrude, but is, or used to be simple on Mercs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pickel View Post
    If your ever on the water and it wont trim up, but it will go down, and vice versa, swap the relays to identify bad one, and take it out. Then place the good one in which ever slot you need action, either up or down. This will get you back to the ramp and on the trailer. Dont know about Ole' Evinrude, but is, or used to be simple on Mercs.
    If the up button is stuck a relay swap wont help. Youd have to swap the blue and green trim wires going to the trim motor after all the switches. He cant get to any trim component on his particular motor

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector