seastar cylinder

225 four stroke mercury pro xs 2b776205. Noticed steering felt loose checked today seastar cylinder moved up and down. The main bolt and nut is loose this probably been since install. How tight should this bolt and nut be. Plus all of the other fasteners be. Should I remove the bolt and check for wear? Just replace.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tiller bolt to Tiller Arm: 20 lbs/ft.

NUT should be tightened against the bottom to lock tiller bolt in place.

Larger Nuts (3/4" Socket required): 50 lbs/ft

Smaller Nuts (actual shaft through cylinder- (5/8" Socket Required): 35 lbs/ft

Bennie: I'd be getting in touch with those folks that sold/installed this engine, and INSISTING that ALL of the hardware (Jackplate, Engine Mounting, Steering, Prop, etc) be rechecked. Not naming any names... but I'd honestly quite surprised. For Safety's Sake: Get them to go through it.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don will bring to another dealer closer to home. Will have them check everything.

4. Member
    Don, done deal closer dealer took care of it and said I was very lucky thanks again for the info.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    SMART move. Hopefully you're in for some smooth-sailing now.

On a side note... I would encourage you to put in a phone call to the selling/rigging dealer and let the Service Manager know what happened. Not so much from a "witchin" standpoint as making sure they are aware so that it doesn't happen again. Might save someone from getting hurt down the road.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Lost a really close friend several years ago because of that same thing