Over rev symptoms?

If you over rev your engine, what exactly does it do? The reason I am asking is twice while pretty much at top end my motor has shut down momentarily and then seems to run fine. All I have is the inaccurate RPM console gauge, so I really don’t know what the RPMs are, but I’m wanting to make sure there is nothing else wrong. Both times I was near 70 mph trimmed up. The motor basically shuts down just for a second, then everything seems normal. Water pressure according to my gauge was still fine. What’s odd is I’ve been at these same speeds prior without this occurring, not very often and certainly not for any extended amount of time. I’m hoping it’s nothing other than possibly reaching the RPM limit, I need to get vessel view so I know for sure where I’m at. All that said, does this sound like the symptoms from over rev? 2019 Mercury 200 HP V8 Pro XS
    thx

I haven’t heard or felt the limiter but their is a post in the Basscat section that says it’s very subtle and almost unnoticeable
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Banned
    My experience with the Rev Limiter on 2 stroke is it feels like your running out of gas. Engine hesitates for a split second then takes off again... Hopefully a 4 stroke guy will chime in... Dan

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

RPM limits are progressive and really should be viewed as a "window" of perhaps 300-400 RPM's. Depending on numerous conditions, power limitation may occur earlier, rather than later (LOAD being one of the primary factors).

Strongly recommend you get some form of Smartcraft Display (even the VesselView Mobile will provide digital RPM information that is reliable). Many engine overspeed scenarios were removed from the fault lineups (though still present, they simply enable Guardian which then limits the Available Power).

If you are "flirting" at or near the limit, you might perceive it as a momentary loss of power (and if RPM's decreased to within acceptable parameters you might not otherwise know or see any evidence).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor