Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy About to my wits end.

Long story-- Bought helix 12 G3N and a Mega 360 in Jan. Got the Helix right away and 3 months later get the 360 which the Helix would not recognize. After trying everything our resident gurus had know to remedy others. Hummingbird opened back up after covid shutdown.. Two weeks later they want to replace the 360. New one arrives; SAME thing.. By now I have HB on speed dial. After a couple of days they want the Helix. Two weeks later it's back home and it actually shows there is a 360. Went to pre fish a tournament.. Unload and the Helix will not read my lakemaster chip.. changed slots even changed chips.. after several attempts it finally loaded.. Other than bad interference everything appeared to work as designed for about two hours. Look down and I have no DI or 2D..... After trying everything I could think of on the water. I loaded the boat and removed the 360. Went back out and was able to get my 2D Di and SI to work.
    One other thing I was fishing 15-18ft Hydrilla the G3N is now having trouble getting a reading and seems worse the shallower it gets Many times I would have to ask my partner how deep the console unit showed.
    Thoughts -- Ideas-- Suggestions
    Last edited by fishnfireman; 07-04-2020 at 08:53 AM.

2. Member
    I am sure you unhappy, I would be also. I am not going to research all the posts at this point but had a question. Did you solve that interference problem? What is your noise filter setting? I have never fished Hydrilla but seems it is a pretty thick mat and would be a tough challenge for sonar. I would reduce that filter to 1 or 2 and see if that helps. The other side of that is if your sensitivity is turned up pretty high you could be getting echos and messing with the depth. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Hey Mike, I think there are just some issues with the current products and until they can come out with a SW fix, we are on our own to solve them or deal with them as best as possible. I was out yesterday and had some strange things happen so next time out I'm going to try a few things. My set up is dual Helix 9 G3N MDI units on the bow, Ultrex link, Mega 360, HB Ethernet hub, Helix 10 G2N MSI (this is the unit I bought from you!) at the console. So one of my Helix 9's is just connected to the M360 and Ethernet while the other is connected to an external MDI+ transducer on the trolling motor. A few times yesterday, my second unit would lose 2D, MDI and the only thing it would display was the map and the shared M360 image. I had a lot of different messages pop up about local M360 being lost etc. I finally was able to deselect the M360 from the network menu and it stopped it. Was frustrating to deal with on the water for sure! I've also dealt with constant pop ups on the console unit about losing/connecting to the M360.

So here is what I am going to try next time out - I'm going to remove the first Helix 9 that is the display for the M360 from the network and just use it as a stand alone. It should work fine to show the M360 and then shouldn't affect the network and my other two graphs. I probably won't get out until next Friday, but when I do I'll post back here what I found. And I do view this as a temporary change until Humminbird issues a new SW update, because I think that's what the issue is.

Not sure how your setup is configured, but if it's all networked you might try removing the Helix 12 from the network and only connecting it to the M360 and power to see what happens...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

My biggest problem through all of this has been finding the time to actually use it ON the water. I've been very busy and the nearest lake is over an hour drive. Consequently what testing I've done was at tournaments and the last thing I want is to have equipment problems.
    I now have some time and need to find out all I can before taking it to the lake.

bobcoy I've not done anything about the trolling mtr interference with the 360 as I removed the 360 when It lost 2D or DI even though it worked for a short time. When and if I get everything working I'll address that problem.
    As for the sensitivity settings in hydrilla I set it exactly like the console unit which worked just fine. matter of fact many times I had to ask my partner how deep we were.

Topwater all day I have the Helix G3N networked with the console unit.
    I have the M360 and the original G3N transducer Y'd so I can have 360 and 2D/DI -- I had it set on 360 split with 2D when it quit ( had worked for some time).. after it quit all I could get was 360 --- the 2D and DI screen would show but it was blank and did not move. I tried changing transducer selection and even reset to default before loading up and removing the 360. I took the Y out and ran original T-ducer to Helix and got back to fishing.

I'll admit the transducer selection is confusing.

With my Helix G3N-----When the M360 is Y'ed to the original transducer and you want to use 360 and DI, which transducer needs to be selected ??
    If you only want the original transducer (not built in or 360) which one do you select ??

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    My biggest problem through all of this has been finding the time to actually use it ON the water. I've been very busy and the nearest lake is over an hour drive. Consequently what testing I've done was at tournaments and the last thing I want is to have equipment problems.
    I now have some time and need to find out all I can before taking it to the lake.

bobcoy I've not done anything about the trolling mtr interference with the 360 as I removed the 360 when It lost 2D or DI even though it worked for a short time. When and if I get everything working I'll address that problem.
    As for the sensitivity settings in hydrilla I set it exactly like the console unit which worked just fine. matter of fact many times I had to ask my partner how deep we were.

Topwater all day I have the Helix G3N networked with the console unit.
    I have the M360 and the original G3N transducer Y'd so I can have 360 and 2D/DI -- I had it set on 360 split with 2D when it quit ( had worked for some time).. after it quit all I could get was 360 --- the 2D and DI screen would show but it was blank and did not move. I tried changing transducer selection and even reset to default before loading up and removing the 360. I took the Y out and ran original T-ducer to Helix and got back to fishing.

I'll admit the transducer selection is confusing.

With my Helix G3N-----When the M360 is Y'ed to the original transducer and you want to use 360 and DI, which transducer needs to be selected ??
    If you only want the original transducer (not built in or 360) which one do you select ??
    If you don't have a MEGA 360, a SI+ unit has 20 choices for Connected Transducer. The first one listed matches the transducer that comes with the unit.

When a MEGA 360 is connected and recognized by the unit, you get a different set of Connected Transducer choices. A SI+ unit has 5 choices. The first one listed is the MEGA 360 only--that is the Default setting. If you have another transducer connected via Y cable, you have to choose the Connected Transducer setting that matches both transducers.
    With a Y cable:
    If you only want HW CHIRP and the MEGA 360 with a HW CHIRP-only transducer, a Minnkota built-n MDI or MSI, or a Humminbird MEGA DI+ or Humminbird MEGA SI+ transducer= HW/MEGA 360
    For HW CHIRP and Down Imaging with a Humminbird MEGA DI+ transducer= HW/MDI+/MEGA 360
    For HW CHIRP and Down Imaging with a Minnkota MDI transducer= Built-in HW/MDI+/MEGA 360

You can tell if the MEGA 360-only is the setting because you don't get a Temp readout or Depth Readout:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

thanks.

Update.. Thanks to everyone and there help-- FINALY got this thing working as designed.. It's an awesome tool.
    Only thing is the pop ups that appear on my console unit about the 360 being out of water etc. etc. when using big motor. They are a PIA when trying to navigate with the help of GPS screen.
    Is this normal ?
    How do you make it go away for good ?

8. Member
    I found putting my bow units on standby whenever I pulled up to move took care of most of the pop up's.

Update.. Thanks to everyone and there help-- FINALY got this thing working as designed.. It's an awesome tool.
    Only thing is the pop ups that appear on my console unit about the 360 being out of water etc. etc. when using big motor. They are a PIA when trying to navigate with the help of GPS screen.
    Is this normal ?
    How do you make it go away for good ?

Quote Originally Posted by lauzon4 View Post
    I found putting my bow units on standby whenever I pulled up to move took care of most of the pop up's.
    I shut the bow unit off once just to see if it made a difference .. I still got them.

10. Member
    I shut the bow unit off once just to see if it made a difference .. I still got them.
    On mine if the bow units are off I’ll still get one pop up telling me the 360 source can’t be found and asking whether or not I what to forget it. If I choose to forget, that’ll pretty much be the end of it. When I was leaving everything on up front and not using standby, it was ridiculous, you couldn’t do anything at the console unit with all of the pop ups.

Quote Originally Posted by lauzon4 View Post
    On mine if the bow units are off I’ll still get one pop up telling me the 360 source can’t be found and asking whether or not I what to forget it. If I choose to forget, that’ll pretty much be the end of it. When I was leaving everything on up front and not using standby, it was ridiculous, you couldn’t do anything at the console unit with all of the pop ups.
    Yes sir it is ridiculous and down right dangerous on a new body of water when using the chart to help avoid under water humps in low water conditions that aren't marked.

Thanks.. I'll try that.

12. Member
    I am having the same issues with out of water pop ups on my console unit. The only way to get rid of them is go into your network source setup on your console unit and toggle over to 360 and uncheck the box so your console unit will not have the ability for a 360 readout. It will stop the pop ups but it will not save this setting so every time you go out you have to remember to go into the network source setup and uncheck the 360 box.

I am also having another issue with my console unit since the update and the addition of the Mega 360; One of my console units is always set split screen with side imaging and down imaging. Since the addition of the mega 360 my view screen will switch to the basemap. I will hit my hot key to go back to SI/DI split screen and within a few seconds it goes straight back to the basemap. Is anyone else having this issue?
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Thanks for the tip.
    Have been trying to talk to H-bird for two days now.
    I've had better luck with getting help on here and face book with these issues anyway.

I fought the issue also with trying to get the DI, 2D to show up on my other bow unit. When I stowed my TM and made a move I would fight for ever to get it all working again after employing the TM. I finally just starting stowing the TM without using standby or turning Sonar off. When I move back to the console unit it would have a message on the screen and I would just hit the exit button to remove the message instead of hitting the yes or no option on the message. When I return to the TM I just put it in the water and don’t hit any pop ups and the unit with the DI, 2D connects itself within a few minutes. So in my case, I found out the less I keep pressing all the pop up message the less the units get all out of whack.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

Quote Originally Posted by Cooker11 View Post
    I am having the same issues with out of water pop ups on my console unit. The only way to get rid of them is go into your network source setup on your console unit and toggle over to 360 and uncheck the box so your console unit will not have the ability for a 360 readout. It will stop the pop ups but it will not save this setting so every time you go out you have to remember to go into the network source setup and uncheck the 360 box.
    Believe this will work, at least in my garage with a water bucket it is..
    Another pop up that occurred when running the big motor said I exceeded 360 deployed speed limit...Except the 360 was NOT deployed. I figure by doing the above that will stop that one also. It shouldn't be this hard. wonder why some have this issue and some don't ?

16. Member
    Good to hear! Just remember when you power on your unit next time you go out you have to do it again as it won’t save that setting for you. Im assuming it just sets it as the default every time you power your unit up.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    Pop ups!!

As soon as you fire up ALL your birds go into the “network” tab on your console units, then down to “network source setup”. Scroll over to the 360 tab then uncheck the box Then exit out. No more pop ups or screens switching by them selves... Unfortunately, you will have to do this every time you start the day fishing. It’s a minor pain but it works. Note: it might take a minute for the console units to recognize the 360 so you have to wait till that happens to unselect the 360.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

Thanks-- Cooker11 suggested that and it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooker11 View Post

I am also having another issue with my console unit since the update and the addition of the Mega 360; One of my console units is always set split screen with side imaging and down imaging. Since the addition of the mega 360 my view screen will switch to the basemap. I will hit my hot key to go back to SI/DI split screen and within a few seconds it goes straight back to the basemap. Is anyone else having this issue?
    Constantly. I leave one console Helix on M360 for partner on back deck. It constantly jumps to map page. He has to jump down and reselect M360 constantly. If I put bow unit in standby, console unit quits jumping to map page.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

20. Member
    I had the pop up issue once. I started fishing on the trolling motor, so never turned on the console. Turned on the console to move locations started to get all the pop ups everyone is getting, couldn't shut them off with out removing m360 from network. I've used my units for weeks without this happening. Thought to myself, what was different? Shut all units off, powered all 3 (M360,2 bow, 1 console) back up. Hit exit on the console, then exit on the 2 front. Never had the issue again. As long as I hit exit on the console first, I will never get a message on the console. I just pull trolling motor out and go. The only time I get a message on the console is if I shut the bow units off, or power to m360, then I get the "no 360 in network" or whatever the message is, whether I hit no or yes, the pop up goes away and will never come back up during the trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast