Question loosing power to humminbirds

I have a new xpress x19 with 175 sho, when i turn switch off to kill motor and go to restart motor the graphs will loose power and turn offf, have to restart ,anyone know what is causing this

Poor wiring and/or weak battery.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Mine did almost the same thing other than it would kick the low voltage warning on the screen! Re ran new 10 gauge wire straight off the battery and no more problems! Your’s is probably going low enough to de power the unit. Hope this helps. Thanks

4. Member
    it only happens when you turn off motor with graphs on and try to restart. if i turn graphs on first then start motor it is ok only happens after turn motor off and try to restart when starter engages power goes off to graphs,. it has a new interstate battery and new 10/2 wiring to units, my helix is showing 12.9 volts to it

5. Member
    BBW,
    My skeeter is in the shop now for the same problem.
    Their answer is to install a capacitor connected to just the graphs,
    that will hold the voltage at a constant rate no matter what else drains on the battery.
    My SHO draws 550 amps minimum at start up. ( the 27 series battery installed is rated for 675 Cold Cranking Amps)
    One of my main problems was the dealer installed the minimal 27 series battery required by skeeter.
    I bought a new Lifeline AGM 31 series to help solve this power problem. (950 Cold Cranking Amps)
    I will post the specifics on the capacitor when I get the boat back. Today makes 4 weeks without it!
    I had to send both units back to HumminBird for repair after both units lost power during the
    boot sequence. Good Luck!
    Last edited by OK_BassBum; 07-04-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    it only happens when you turn off motor with graphs on and try to restart. if i turn graphs on first then start motor it is ok only happens after turn motor off and try to restart when starter engages power goes off to graphs,. it has a new interstate battery and new 10/2 wiring to units, my helix is showing 12.9 volts to it
    You need a battery that can handle the starting amps and support the units at the same time. You are on the border line of supporting both.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    my battery is a 800 cranking amps , if capacitor was needed looks like lots of people would be having problem , don't sound right to me
    bassbum mine will start the first time with units on it is the second time after running the motor and stop, then it will loose power, is that what yours was doing

8. Member
    Yes sir,
    I had been fishing for about 3 hours, graphs running, live well.
    I do put my console unit in standby while I fish. And bow to standby when running.
    So I guess I had a good drain on this 4 month old battery. The boat maybe had 20
    trips on it. 35 hours on the skeeter motor.
    Now to be fair, they have found a problem in the wiring harness. I might have
    had a short or a draining circuit. But the shop is installing this capacitor into new
    FXR's and to anyone having a problem. I was informed Skeeter has approved this fix.
    My mechanic said he had ask skeeter to think about wiring it in at the factory.
    I just hope it solves my problem, not to mention the new wiring harness.
    Stay tuned, I will let everyone know how this goes. I missed fishing all of June!
    I spent a lot of cash not to be able to fish and I keep dropping more.
    Not to mention that I now have to go back and get my units Synced and networked again!

Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    If that is 12.9 volts while the motor is running, that shows too much voltage drop or a bad output from the motor. You should have in the upper 13V range with the motor running.
    If you are saying 12.9 volts without without the motor running, that must be a super battery of some sort.

Maybe it does it on the 2nd start because the motor is harder to turn over when it has been warmed up.

What is the voltage displayed on the unit compared to the voltage measure at the battery terminals?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

10. Member
    BBW, I would start looking at your terminal corrections. All new can still come up weak on power with a poor connection.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

11. Member
    well i think i found my problem I added a 30amp breaker to the 10/2 going to fuse panel forgot to tighten bolt on breaker it not going off now running with muff i will know weather my battery will run everything about wed or thursday. thanks bobcoy started checking all connections because of your comments

12. Member
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go