Question my graphs turn off when you start moter

I got a xpress x 19 with 175 sho after i cut engine off and leave electronics running and go to restart engine the graphs loose power , i have to restart power to graphs, any one had this to happen

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Your battery is likely too small for your outboard or is failing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Also possible is a bad connection if the units are not wired directly to the battery.

4. Member
    Definitely a voltage issue. Your graphs should be able to display voltage.

Mine shipped with a group 24 Interstate battery. After about 6 months I started having the same issue you’re having. Pulled that battery (It already had a dead cell) and replaced it with a larger one. Interstate swapped it on warranty and I paid an extra $15 for a group 27. No problems after that but I’m still putting a 31 AGM in next time they’re on sale at Sam’s.
    Last edited by ajw18; 07-04-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Bigger wires on a dedicated circuit to the graphs.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

6. Member
    i have a group 27 interstate battery 800 cold cranking amps my graphs have 10/2 wiring direct to them. it seems when you turn key to start motor it just cuts power to graphs, all is new 2021 boat

7. Member
    It may be new but what everyone is getting at is the graphs are shutting off because the voltage is dropping too far at the graphs when the motor is cranking. It only takes a split second and they shut down... the motor might crank just fine and the equipment be all brand new. Could be anything listed above, but it’s definitely the units seeing low voltage.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

No idea what kind of electronics youre running but if its some of the big screens and even better a livescope the 10ga wont cut it.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Member
    it is doing it with one humminbird helix 9 that came on boat, everything cut off, what i don't understand if i turn graph on and then start motor it is ok only after running and turning motor offf and trying to restart is when it kills power to graphs, i may have bad battery going back to dealer Monday

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    it is doing it with one humminbird helix 9 that came on boat, everything cut off, what i don't understand if i turn graph on and then start motor it is ok only after running and turning motor offf and trying to restart is when it kills power to graphs, i may have bad battery going back to dealer Monday
    Sounds like you're on the right track. In my experience the Interstate batteries that ship with these boats are not great. To their credit, the local Interstate battery store has been great about warranty service but I'll soon have 3 Duracell Group 31 AGM.

If it only does it after your motor is warmed up it sounds like you have a heat soak issue. Its taking more amps to start when hot

12. Member
    what is a heat soak issue never heard that term before

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw18 View Post
    Sounds like you're on the right track. In my experience the Interstate batteries that ship with these boats are not great. To their credit, the local Interstate battery store has been great about warranty service but I'll soon have 3 Duracell Group 31 AGM.
    Boats typically don’t ship with batteries. That is a dealer installed item.
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    what is a heat soak issue never heard that term before
    Its when your motor gets warm and the term most use is “vapor lock”. Its harder to turn over basically and usually signifies you need a new water pump. Next time try letting it idle after a run for a minute or so and youll see the temp drop quickly. After a long run then just turning it off causes this. The heat keeps building because theres no more cooling. Give it a try and let us know

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Its when your motor gets warm and the term most use is “vapor lock”. Its harder to turn over basically and usually signifies you need a new water pump. Next time try letting it idle after a run for a minute or so and youll see the temp drop quickly. After a long run then just turning it off causes this. The heat keeps building because theres no more cooling. Give it a try and let us know
    IIRC, this is a new boat.

16. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Vapor lock is excessively hot fuel lines causing fuel to vaporize in the line and has nothing to do with cranking or voltage. It’s unlikely to occur with an outboard where the fuel lines are not in an enclosed area with the engine for long runs.
    nothing else matters.​

See it all the time on outboards. Usually the older carbed ones though. A search will turn up some examples.

18. Member
    found a loose connection on 30 amp breaker on the 10/2 going to fuse panel fixed that and it is not doing the turn off anymore running with muff at my shop will carry to water later this week, hope that was problem