Factory Deep Cycle Battery Recommendations

What deep cycle batteries does Bass Cat recommend?

The heaviest ones you can find...

expanding on that is enough is enough, thus not everyone needs an excessively large battery and using one often just loads the cost and also the replacement cost. It’s all about how much and how often you use one, if you care for it and whether or not you store them in winter.

There is a lot to any battery decisions.

3. Banned
    "THE HEAVIEST BATTERY YOU CAN FIND"
    should be stapled to the underside of the bilge lid

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angleiron View Post
    What deep cycle batteries does Bass Cat recommend?
    what model boat? what model TM? fish lakes or rivers?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

It could really be that simple for the sizes of case you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    what model boat? what model TM? fish lakes or rivers?
    New Pantera Classic.MK 24V Ultrex. Mostly rivers. I was looking for a best brand as the dealer put in lead cells for the TM, but put in an AGM for the starting battery (he had to...long story). Well the charger that was installed will not charge a mixture of batteries as there is a programming cap for lead cells, a programming cap for AGM's, and a programming cap for gels. There can only be one cap in place. I realize there ain't that many battery manufacturers but the reviews are all over the place.

7. Member
    I use Interstate 31 series, usually last about 4 years.

8. Member
    Sounds like you have the Merc 4S which requires an AGM for cranking. Likely your standard charger wasn't upgraded to the MK. With the MK you can select the type of battery for each bank. If you don't want to change chargers now, and your crank has to be an AGM as you already have, then your best bet and bang for the buck will be to go to Sam's and get the Duracell AGM's. The 31's are 179 dollars, and the 27's are 159. No other AGM's are that reasonable and they are good batteries with very reasonable reserve capacities for the troller. Other places carry those same AGM's, but Sam's is the cheapest. I have the same boat and Ultrex with a Merc 4S, but with the MK charger, I have an AGM for cranking and wet cells for the troller.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    Get Duracell 31 series AGMs from Sams.
    Best value for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Sounds like you have the Merc 4S which requires an AGM for cranking. Likely your standard charger wasn't upgraded to the MK. With the MK you can select the type of battery for each bank. If you don't want to change chargers now, and your crank has to be an AGM as you already have, then your best bet and bang for the buck will be to go to Sam's and get the Duracell AGM's. The 31's are 179 dollars, and the 27's are 159. No other AGM's are that reasonable and they are good batteries with very reasonable reserve capacities for the troller. Other places carry those same AGM's, but Sam's is the cheapest. I have the same boat and Ultrex with a Merc 4S, but with the MK charger, I have an AGM for cranking and wet cells for the troller.
    I did order the MK charger, but that is not what was installed and it was not Bass Cat's fault as the dealer wasn't paying attention when he placed my boat order so I ended up with the ProMariner. I am finding out that batteries are hard to come by at the moment as apparently the dealer had issues too. Instead of putting a dual purpose AGM in for the starting battery I ended up with an AGM that is made for semi trucks and agricultural tractors because that was all he could find in a 31 AGM. The (2) deep cycle batteries that were installed were some off brand batteries that won't even take a charge, and when I put a meter on them they both are in the 10'ish volts range so I can't even use my boat to fish out of right now. When I looked up the deep cycle batteries that were installed the rating on them was horrible. Dealer told me he put these in because they were all he could find but the trolling motor was never tested nor the batteries even charged. The starting battery was at 11 volts when I measured it before plugging in on the charger.

The dealer is going to let me buy new batteries of my choice but I am not going to try to take advantage of the situation. Normally I buy quality middle of the road batteries as far as cost but ones that have been proven to last a few years. Batteries Plus has some 31's that are dual purpose AGM's with a 30 month replacement warranty that are not that much more than Sam's but they are 14 days out from being available. The Sam's by me does not have the AGM's that you speak of and when called they have no idea when they are going to be available. Bass Pro does not have an AGM that is a 31...only a 30. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but the starting battery needs to be a dual purpose (starting/deep cycle) so it can start the engine but also run the depth finders, pumps, jack plate, etc. Also marine batteries are constructed differently than other batteries to handle the vibration and abuse.

11. Member
    AGM's are considered to be dual purpose. If the Batteries Plus Ultra Platinum AGM is the battery that you are looking at, it is the identical battery as the Sam's Duracell. O'Reilly's has them too. They are made by Deka/East Penn. The BPS AGM looks like some unfamiliar off brand, and I would stay away from that one for sure. What is the crank battery that your dealer installed (brand, size, specs)?
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Odyssey PC 2150M for Cranking

Sam's AGM or Interstate for the TM.

Make the dealer put the correct charger in too.

Good Luck
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    "THE HEAVIEST BATTERY YOU CAN FIND"
    should be stapled to the underside of the bilge lid
    Why is this the recommendation? I know very little about batteries.

14. Member
    I run 3 batteries plus lead acid 31's for the TM. They are Duracell but made by Deka and they make good batteries these days. I am on my 3rd season with good routine maintenance and proper charging. I use a MK440PC charger do not leave them plugged in for long periods of time after they are up. I run a Deka Intimidator 31 AGM for the big motor and electronics. Heavy ? yes but my puma likes the weight in the back anyway. I typically always have 1/2- 2/3 fuel in the rear tanks as well.Seems to lift and handle better. I am sure BCB intended it that way. Lithium is so expensive and I really don't trust them yet.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Why is this the recommendation? I know very little about batteries.
    Heavier translates into higher Reserve Capacity which is the important spec for trolling motor batteries. Higher reserve gives you longer run time and longer life of the batteries. Of course lithium is the exception
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

16. Member
    Angleiron, is your charger the ProSport 20 Plus? If it is, it is important to note that there is one set of leads labelled specifically for the crank battery. I had one of those chargers in one of my Cats.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Angleiron, is your charger the ProSport 20 Plus? If it is, it is important to note that there is one set of leads labelled specifically for the crank battery. I had one of those chargers in one of my Cats.
    That is what was installed, and I will find out soon when I swap out all of the batteries that were installed by the dealer.

18. Member
    Angleiron, had to satisfy my curiously today. When I had the ProSport 20 Plus in my 2015 P2, the AGM and flooded setting were one and the same, so I could mix the two types if I wanted to. However, when I was at BPS today, and looked at the new ProSport 20, I see what you mean. The settings are separate for each battery type, and you can only use one kind. Seems like a step backward. In any case, if possible, like suggested above, since the dealer messed up, it would be worthwhile to see if he can upgrade you to a Minn Kota PC. Much better charger and battery types can be mixed.

If not, and batteries are hard to find, then try your local O'Reilly's. The link below that I include is the identical battery to the Sam's Duracell and the Batteries Plus. They are all the same 31 AGM made by East Penn. Even though it says farm and fleet, it is a rebadged Deka Intimidator 8A31DT as all three are.

What starting battery did the dealer install???

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...p+cycle+&pos=4

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc.../sli31dtmagmdc
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Most any 27 series deep cycle battery will work for the trolling motors on most boats. The cranking battery has been the big challenge for over 25 years. Ever since graphs went larger, Loran systems started getting used and that turned to GPS in the mid 90's, we have had requirements for more cranking battery.

BCB

20. Member
    Mercury forum has a great resource for choosing recommended batteries for the cranking needs of their engines.