Changing motor mounts?

My new boat has a 200 Pro XS. Spent yesterday putting the first 2 hours of break-in, and so far I am surprised by the performance of the engine as this is my first 4-stroke. Boat jumps on plane instantly, and the overall performance is good so far. Before I get into what I am going to ask I am putting it out there that I know how to drive a boat. I have owned Allisons, Strokers, Gamblers, etc. and have driven a boat to 93.6mph gps speed. So I know all about chine walk and what is needed to drive a boat as all boats will chine walk above a certain speed.

My boat chine walks as expected when I get close to the 70mph mark...problem is the steering feel and control is bad. The motor mounts are too soft which do not allow the control that is needed to run the boat the way that it should be run. The boat manufacturer installed the Mercury power steering on the boat (long story and I did not ask for this to be installed) so I am also having to deal with that as well but even at moderate speeds when I looked back at the engine there was a slight wobble. So take the slight wobble and when it starts to walk there is no way (in my head) that I would ever be able to drive this boat the way I should be able to. Its the tail wagging the dog.

Does anyone know if the upper mounts were changed to the Merc R mounts that is would be any issues with warranty?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Your question: Yes. You can contact Mercury Customer Service and ask them, but the Warranty Exclusions have specific wording that excludes "Modification of the Product".

Can we get a picture of the steering pump and cylinder?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Motor Sn# 2B778607

Here are the pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No doubt- that's definitely the Mercury Power Steering system. I would be getting it back to the Selling/Rigging Dealer to have the system BLED, and discuss what can be done to safely handle the boat.

There are several here that are using Power Hydraulic Steering- most of them went through a learning-curve (and I believe several also changed wheel diameter as well).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    No doubt- that's definitely the Mercury Power Steering system. I would be getting it back to the Selling/Rigging Dealer to have the system BLED, and discuss what can be done to safely handle the boat.

There are several here that are using Power Hydraulic Steering- most of them went through a learning-curve (and I believe several also changed wheel diameter as well).
    Power steering was installed at the factory...and I didn't know that it was until after the fact. Boat was originally going to have an Evinrude...covid 19 happened and the Evinrude goes belly up. Boat was already built with the Evinrude in mind so the factory put in the power steering because I guess that was easier than trying to install the hydraulic steering after the fact. So I have read that the motor mounts are softer than the previous Pro XS engines which doesn't help things. In order to bleed the air from the system the engine either has to be running (which did not happen at the factory), or the power steering primer kit was used which would have involved a battery at some point but the dealer put the batteries in after the boat was delivered.

The power steering reservoir is full, an AGM starting battery is in place so it is not a voltage issue as I have read that can cause problems. I have ZERO experience with a power steering system on a boat, and I have read conflicting things like the steering does not respond unless there input...and I am not sure I can wrap my head around that? The steering wheel will turn manually and there is slop in the steering but I am not sure if that is because there is no power to the steering or it is an indication of air in the system? Like I noted when I was breaking in the engine I would look back and at 40mph I could see a slight wobble in the engine already. I have the manual and bleeding the air out is not that different than doing so on a hydraulic steering system...other than the motor has to be running or the primer kit is available.

So that is why I asked about changing out the mounts, as softer mounts is not going to help with what is going on. I have a call into Mercury...waiting for a call back.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Steering should be bled with the correct Primer Kit. Rigging Dealer is responsible for doing this (not the boat-builder).

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Steering should be bled with the correct Primer Kit. Rigging Dealer is responsible for doing this (not the boat-builder).
    Even if the engine and power steering was installed at the factory (boat manufacturer)?
    Last edited by angleiron; 07-06-2020 at 05:23 PM.

8. Member
    Yes.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes sir.