Thread: License

License

Haven't been in few years. To fish up river above the bridge, is a va and dc license all I need ? Where is best place online to get a dc license.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    Haven't been in few years. To fish up river above the bridge, is a va and dc license all I need ? Where is best place online to get a dc license.

If you mean the Woodrow Wilson bridge, you will need a DC license. If you are referring to the 301 bridge VA or MD will work until you get to the WW bridge.

3. mikesxpress
    DC waters Potomac river.

Ensure you have all the required marine safety equipment as the USCG checks boats there frequently. Be particularly aware of all the no wake zones up there. Both DC cops and USCG enforce that.

The District of Columbia Harbor Patrol currently has a mandatory education requirement that requires all boaters on District of Columbia waters to carry a Boating Safety Certificate with them while they are on the water.

Get DC license here:
    https://doee.dc.gov/service/get-fishing-license
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-04-2020 at 05:48 AM.

4. Member

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    DC waters Potomac river.

Ensure you have all the required marine safety equipment as the USCG checks boats there frequently. Be particularly aware of all the no wake zones up there. Both DC cops and USCG enforce that.

The District of Columbia Harbor Patrol currently has a mandatory education requirement that requires all boaters on District of Columbia waters to carry a Boating Safety Certificate with them while they are on the water.

Get DC license here:
    https://doee.dc.gov/service/get-fishing-license
    yes WW bridge. Is a flare gun required for a 520 ranger. Th ink everything else is normal lake stuff.

6. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Munchie, if you have a Va. freshwater you will be good from the WW bridge down to the 301 bridge. As stated you will need a DC lic to fish above the WW bridge, I use to get mine online or some of the few tackel stores in NoVa and Md. use to sell them also before I retired and moved to the Kerr area you also needed a FIP ( Fisherman Identication Program ) number it was Free and could get it online from Va. DNR ( not sure if still required).

Below is copy/paste from PRFC web site. If you are buying Out of state VA license and using only for Potomac, look at the saltwater permit. It covers more area and will save some $. If you will make multiple trips to the Potomac or have multiple people fishing look into the PRFC Pleasure Boat license.

• Below the 301 Bridge - you are required to have one of the following:
      1. Potomac River Fisheries Sport Fishing License, or
      2. Virginia Saltwater Recreational License, or
      3. Maryland Bay (Tidal) Sport Fishing License.

Above the 301 Bridge - you are required to have one of the following:
      1. Potomac River Fisheries Sport Fishing License, or
      2. Virginia Saltwater Recreational License, or
      3. Maryland Bay (Tidal) Sport Fishing License, or
      4. Virginia Statewide Freshwater Fishing License.

Above the Woodrow Wilson Bridge:
      1. You are required to have a District of Columbia Fishing License.