2020 Metanium vs 18 Bantam MGL

Ive fished nothing but Curado 200E7's for the past 10 years now. I recently ventured out and picked up a Chronarch MGL and 2020 Metanium. The Metanium is by far the smoothest reel I have ever put my hands on! My question is, now that the metanium is solid core and has brass gears, what is the difference between it and the Bantam MGL (other than weight and magnesium vs aluminum body)?

2. Member
    The 2020 metanium has the new Mgl spill similar to the Antares 70. It casts great !

3. Member
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but shimanos website doesnt give much on the specifics of its technology. The bantam also has a mgl spool, are they different? is the new spool worth the $70 difference?

4. Member
    The spool is slightly different, but I can't find much difference in performance. Metanium may have a slight edge under 1/4. Biggest difference is the top plate is a smidge narrower on the Metanium.

5. Member
    I don't have the 20 Met but have a few of the previous models, a couple Bantam MGLs, a Aldebaran MGL, and a Chronarch MGL. Like a review I read the Bantam is like the Met (previous version) and Calcutta had a baby together. That being said the Chronarch MGL is a great bang for the buck if you're spending that kind of money. But again I don't have the 20 Met yet.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    My entire standard baitcasting arsenal is the 2020 Metaniums, love em'....!

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

7. Member
    I got the chronarch in about a week before the metanium. It is light, the retrieve is leaps and bounds smoother over my curado E's, and MGL spool makes pitching effortless. But after receiving my metaniums, there is no comparison! The Chronarch almost has a hollow cheap feel too it. I guess my question is will the metanium hold up with my heavier set ups, 65lbs braid/frog or heavier punching setups. Just curious if the bantam would be better suited for those applications.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattbeaugh View Post
    I got the chronarch in about a week before the metanium. It is light, the retrieve is leaps and bounds smoother over my curado E's, and MGL spool makes pitching effortless. But after receiving my metaniums, there is no comparison! The Chronarch almost has a hollow cheap feel too it. I guess my question is will the metanium hold up with my heavier set ups, 65lbs braid/frog or heavier punching setups. Just curious if the bantam would be better suited for those applications.
    Metanium is all metal with brass gears. If you take care of it, it should be fine for another decade.

9. Banned
    http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanometaniummgl150.html

Exactly what you're looking for here. An in-depth look at the Metanium vs. Bantam.