Fuel Type, Additives?

All,

I recently dropped a new powerhead in my 2002 Mercury EFI 200HP (SN#0T443994).

What type of fuel, additives should I run after the break in period for the long term?

It seems like there are some guys running 87fuel & a small ratio of oil added directly into gas tanks.

Some guys running 87fuel & additives.

Some just runnning higher 92 ocatane.

Any thoughts regarding my motor are appreciated.

Thanks

2. Member
    No additives for me, I just go to the lake once or twice a week and dont let it sit for long periods of time in between trips.
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

3. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thanks.

Would the below portion of the thread work be acepatable with my 2002 EFI? Or Even just thinking about going 87 octane with the 150:1 extra oil added to gas tanks?

"Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).

5. Member
    I would certainly stay away from ethanol fuel unless you plan to burn through all of it in short order.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeim8 View Post
    Thanks.

Would the below portion of the thread work be acepatable with my 2002 EFI? Or Even just thinking about going 87 octane with the 150:1 extra oil added to gas tanks?

"Mercury Component Cocktail"- for EVERY tank of fuel, whether or not your fuel contains Ethanol: (Chemically, this works much the same as the previously recommended (and now to avoid alcohol content) cocktail, and requires less components.) This is Don's Preferred "Cocktail":

-1oz Mercury QuickCare +
    -1oz Mercury QuickLeen
    ----------------------------
    Per 5 Gallons of Fuel (in EVERY TANK).

In addition to the above, it is acceptable to add 150:1 mix of Premium PLUS in the fuel tank (for OPTIMAX engine models). This has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown).
    That last paragraph is for Optimax engines only, not that it would hurt anything in your EFI, but it won't help anything either.

For your EFI - 1oz each Quickare and Quickleen to 5gals fuel for regular use under 30days, if more than 30days, add 1oz Quickstor to 5gals for amount of fuel being treated.

As to fuel, follow the recommendation, in order specified, under Fuel Selection and you'll be fine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    I use all three mercury additives according to Don and always non ethanol fuel. I have an 03 XR6, never had any issues with my motor.

8. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................