Thread: Z520 to VX20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z520 to VX20

Has aAnyone gone from a Z520 to VX20
    I drove a VX20 this week and did not come away just chomping at the bit to order one. Don’t get me wrong,it was not bad, I was hoping to be completely blown away
    If you have a VX20:
    1.What kind of top speed can I expect with a 250 ProXS
    2. With the trolling motor down how stable is it. I felt it was not as stable as my Z520
    3. What are your pros and cons
    4 Do you regret your decision

I have a green light to get what I want and after 3 Rangers I am thoroughly disgusted with what has happened to them. My only choice for a nearby Ranger Dealer is Cabela’s and that is not a good choice. I have done that before and it was not good.
    The Vexus Dealer is a plus. I want to like this boat, but I would really like some opinions from VX20 owners.

Thanks in advance for the opinions

Willie
    Last edited by wdubuis; 07-03-2020 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

I just looked at a Caymas 21 and left underwhelmed as well. Looking at the Vexus next week. What did you find lacking? I am currently in z521.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    I just looked at a Caymas 21 and left underwhelmed as well. Looking at the Vexus next week. What did you find lacking? I am currently in z521.
    It wasn’t lacking, I can’t really put my finger on what it was
    The boat felt gigantic.it’s a different beast not bad just different.
    The only negative is that I felt the boat was not as stable as my ranger with the trolling motor down

Quote Originally Posted by wdubuis View Post
    It wasn’t lacking, I can’t really put my finger on what it was
    The boat felt gigantic.it’s a different beast not bad just different.
    The only negative is that I felt the boat was not as stable as my ranger with the trolling motor down
    Part of the issue I think is that I have been so thoroughly impressed with my Z I find it hard to give up minor fit or finish differences between companies. I want equal or better in that department. Like you I also love the stability when fishing as well.

5. Member
    i think most companies are putting out the best product they can, so improvements from 1 to the other are just incrimental. the internet has changed thing so much the past 20 years. if a company puts out junk, everyone & their mother knows about it in 5 minutes.

we may have come into an era where diminishing returns is very obvious.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdubuis View Post
    Has aAnyone gone from a Z520 to VX20
    I drove a VX20 this week and did not come away just chomping at the bit to order one. Don’t get me wrong,it was not bad, I was hoping to be completely blown away
    If you have a VX20:
    1.What kind of top speed can I expect with a 250 ProXS
    2. With the trolling motor down how stable is it. I felt it was not as stable as my Z520
    3. What are your pros and cons
    4 Do you regret your decision

I have a green light to get what I want and after 3 Rangers I am thoroughly disgusted with what has happened to them. My only choice for a nearby Ranger Dealer is Cabela’s and that is not a good choice. I have done that before and it was not good.
    The Vexus Dealer is a plus. I want to like this boat, but I would really like some opinions from VX20 owners.

Thanks in advance for the opinions

Willie
    Willie, I went from multiple Z520's to the VX20. I will respond to your four questions below. I have been out in my VX about 6 times and drove/fished out of one several times prior to buying the VX. There is no comparison to the ride and handling...VX hands down. In swells and chop, Z boat would slap and jar...not VX. It rides above waves etc. since V comes all the way to the front. Lower center of gravity on VX since gas tank runs from bow to stern instead of from side to side under seats in Z. Attention to detail...no comparison...each component has been engineered to overcome common short comings in other brands.

1. I get 70 easy with two people and better alone. However, on the TN River, with barge wakes, pleasure craft, etc. few boats can safely run that fast safely. The real key is that in the soup, I can out perform/run other brands due to the rough water capability of the VX.
    2. My VX is more stable than the Z boats I've had in the past. Due to the low center of gravity mentioned before, it does not get pushed around by wind or waves and when fishing ledges, requires much less attention to fish while running TM. You are higher on the bow than on a Z and maybe that is why it feels different. However, it fishes flat.
    3. I honestly don't have any cons at this point. I could go on and on about the rough water ride and handling and fishability. Storage is awesome and the seats take any jarring out of rough water ride that the hull does not handle.
    4. I do NOT regret my decision and will be running a Vexus from now on.

7. Member
    Talked to a guy running the DVX20 this year after running 620’s for the past 15 years (tournament fishes and trades every year).... He said the boat has impressed him day after day in both ride, storage, and layout. I know it’s not apples to apples but he said he’d never go back.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

8. Member
    I have made the switch and took delivery of a VX 20 in mid-November. Due for the 100 hr service on the Merc next week.....so enough opportunity to really get used to the boat. By way of background, I started with Champions, went to Ranger and now the Vexus. My team tournament partner flexes toward the fast boats (Bullets et al), so a decent range of ride vs fishability experience....

So preamble aside, I love the Vexus. Some of the items they 'sell" like the rod ledge in the rod locker....are nice, but are not the type of things that would make me buy a boat. Some other items (like the storage in the trailer fender wells) are totally useless.....not putting tools in boxes that aren't waterproof. But, there are areas where the boat really excels and are why I would by another in a heartbeat:

1) The ride is really special....better than the old Champions....drink your coffee in a three foot chop type of ride
    2) The seats, part of the ride....they do hold up and no metal bar across your backside....assuming your 520 has enough hours that this has happened
    3) The boat is very stable to fish....heavy like a Ranger, need to get off the trolling motor much earlier than say the Bullet to pitch or flip something slow....not that either boat is a real skinny water boat, but so far have not been impacted....even after being in very shallow water in the spring
    4) It has only been 7 months, but component quality has been very good, no real challenges. A couple of small bubbles in the sea deck....but that happens generally with sea deck boats
    5) Not a fishing point, but now that the heat is up in SC, I am finding that the cooler is the Real McCoy....still ice left at the end of day
    6) Live wells hold a ton of water.....thought that might be hole shot hell....but with the small props on the 4 strokes, not so much of an issue.... in fact, when just me in the boat it runs faster with full live wells. I think that is more of an issue with how I have the weight distributed in the boat, which I am trying to resolve.

Couldn't be happier with making the "new" decision. In fact, the big area I blew was in sticking with something I knew versus going new. I chickened out and went with Lowrance for electronics due to familiarity...over the last six months it has become clear that others are kicking their butts....since this is around 10% of the cost of the boat, big miss on my part.

If your would like any specific comparisons, please feel free to DM me and I would be happy to respond.

greg

9. Member
    Chuck & Greg,

Thanks you for taking the time to respond, I appropriate you taking the time to let me know your thoughts

Willie

Greg, you mentioned about the shallow water fishing. In Florida much of what we have is shallow water, so wondering how the boat drafts in the shallows? Did you have any issues or pretty much fishes as most bass boats do in the shallows?

Thanks
    2021 Vexus VX20, Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    I think it is pretty much the same....at least the same as the ranger I had before

My Son-in-law bought a new VX21 earlier this year, and I've fished several times with him. It feels like a big boat, which it is. It handles rough water very good. I think it has a deeper draft than my Skeeter, but we've fished some pretty shallow water and had no problems. I really like the EPDM flooring in the console and step areas, much better than carpet. As said above, the ice chest is the real deal and holds ice, even in this Texas heat! Layout is great with a lot of storage.

I have noticed that the boat seems to roll more than I'm used to when fishing in waves. The factory shipped it with a Group 27 650 CCA and 815 MCA starting battery, which is the minimum Mercury calls for. With 3 Solix's and the 360 (all factory installed), it is getting low voltage after a few hours of fishing causing the graphs to shut down when you start the engine. He's gone round and round with the factory, and they still won't admit it is an issue. North Texas Marine, Gainesville (TX) is taking care of it, however, by putting a Group 31 Optima Blue Top in it to resolve this issue this week. He's had a few other small issues, but the dealer has been very good about taking care of him!

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of the Vexus, and especially the dealer. I have no skin in the game, and this is based on what I've personally experienced.
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 07-13-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    My Son-in-law bought a new VX21 earlier this year, and I've fished several times with him. It feels like a big boat, which it is. It handles rough water very good. I think it has a deeper draft than my Skeeter, but we've fished some pretty shallow water and had no problems. I really like the EPDM flooring in the console and step areas, much better than carpet. As said above, the ice chest is the real deal and holds ice, even in this Texas heat! Layout is great with a lot of storage.

I have noticed that the boat seems to roll more than I'm used to when fishing in waves. The factory shipped it with a Group 27 650 CCA and 800 MCA starting battery, which is the minimum Mercury calls for. With 3 Solix's and the 360 (all factory installed), it is getting low voltage after a few hours of fishing causing the graphs to shut down when you start the engine. He's gone round and round with the factory, and they still won't admit it is an issue. North Texas Marine, Gainesville (TX) is taking care of it, however, by putting a Group 31 Optima Blue Top in it to resolve this issue this week. He's had a few other small issues, but the dealer has been very good about taking care of him!

Overall, I'm impressed with the quality of the Vexus, and especially the dealer. I have no skin in the game, and this is based on what I've personally experienced.
    What other issues has he had?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    What other issues has he had?
    Following?

15. Member
    Thanks for the information.
    According to the "Build Mine" on the Vexus website a group 31 AGM is is the standard starting battery on a VX 20
    I finally got all of my ducks in a row to order my VX20 now I just need to pick the color combination
    I will have 2 Solix 12 MSI at the helm
    A solix 12 & a Garmin Echomap 126 with Panoptix at the bow

Now I will need a 10 year old to teach me how to use them

The boat really has had very few problems. Analog display tach reading 0 at an idle. Leak in the bilge area, probably a hose connection - the bilge pump comes on every couple of hours when fishing. He had a problem with one of the transducers, but that is not the boat's fault and could happen at any time.

On the positive side, the air ride seats are very comfortable in rough water. The the passenger console glove box is massive and has a very sturdy door. The compartment lids open easily and don't leak. I'm glad they decided to correct the battery issue!

One other thing, the net storage behind the seats is great!

I would check out the integrated boarding ladder. It appears to swing way under the boat when deployed, and there is really nothing on the deck to grab hold of if you ever need to use it. My Skeeter has a heavy duty chrome grab handle on the transom area, the Vexus doesn't.

I have yet to figure out how to use the hold down for the passenger console rod storage. The thing has a lot of little fingers that grab the fishing line on the rods, and is just hard to use when you have 4 or 5 rods in the holders. When I've been fishing with him, I just don't tie my rods down, wrap a piece of velcro strap around them, and keep an eye on the rods to make sure they don't fly out of the boat.
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 07-11-2020 at 08:46 AM.

17. Member
    My son and I went to N. Texas Marine in Gainesville to grab some parts for my 25 year old boat and saw a VX21. What I nice boat. If I had the money it would be in the running with a Ballistic. Those seats in the Vexus are top notch. The room you have in the cockpit area is unreal. I do like that boat but what they have it at is more than I paid for my house sooooooo I won't be getting the approval to upgrade.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post

I have noticed that the boat seems to roll more than I'm used to when fishing in waves. The factory shipped it with a Group 27 650 CCA and 800 MCA starting battery, which is the minimum Mercury calls for. With 3 Solix's and the 360 (all factory installed), it is getting low voltage after a few hours of fishing causing the graphs to shut down when you start the engine. He's gone round and round with the factory, and they still won't admit it is an issue. North Texas Marine, Gainesville (TX) is taking care of it, however, by putting a Group 31 Optima Blue Top in it to resolve this issue this week. He's had a few other small issues, but the dealer has been very good about taking care of him!

Any idea why it would roll more in waves? I am looking to get into a bass boat but not sure I am willing to give up the stability of my ranger 621fs

It's a deeper V hull than my Skeeter ZX, is the only thing I can see, and I've fished my boat for quite a few years. It wasn't that bad, and the time I noticed it there were a lot of wake boats on Lake Cypress Springs. It takes running in rough water better than the ZX hull does. Just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it is a very "fishable" boat!

I made an incorrect statement. The boat was shipped with a 31 series Pro Guide 31AGM battery, but it had 815 MCA and 650 CCA that I mentioned in my previous post, and claims a reserve capacity of 245. The spec sheet on their web site does not match the tag on the battery so I'm kind of confused. I'm anxious to see how the Optima Blue Top performs.

Kyles Battery.jpeg
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 07-13-2020 at 08:53 AM.

With the comments about riding better than the early Champions, it must have more transom deadrise than typical bass boat. That would account for more rolling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast