Yet Another "Ultrex Losing Spotlock" thread

Folks, the thread title says it all. I know this topic has been covered in detail but I have tried every suggested remedy. No dice, the dang thing loses Spotlock constantly. 2020 Ultrex 112 45" with three brand-new batteries and it has been used twice. Meticulous installation, the pedal has been indexed as level as a pool table, absolutely no obstructions under the pedal, pedal raised up in tray to allow full front-down travel, GPS puck has a clear view of the sky, puck paired with motor, heading sensor calibrated 3x and sensor offset performed etc etc etc. Today I was out on a lake with Spot Lock on....the pedal was level, no obstructions etc and it simply went out of spotlock. Another instance, the boat was holding reasonably steady when suddenly the motor did a 180, pinned the pedal to the rear and it went out of spotlock. It does both of these repeatedly.

This is really a bummer because I had a 2018 Ultrex on a river jet boat and it was magnificent. Hit spotlock and it would hold the boat in all but the worst current, no more heaving and retrieving a 30lb river anchor. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, thanks.
    Rich
    Hackettstown, NJ
    fishing66@optonline.net
    phone: nine seven three six four one zero one zero seven

2. Member
    I forgot to mention, the boat is a G3 176 and is a pretty light hull. The reason for the 112lb motor is that we have a lot of electric-only lakes in NJ. Would changing the boat scale setting be worth a try? I just read about that setting/feature. My prior river jet was a heavy beast as it was armored to literally hit rocks and bounce off.
    Rich
    Hackettstown, NJ
    fishing66@optonline.net

Yes try to set boat scale at -2, it may help it from over powering itself off.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    Even though it's a 2020, make sure it has the most recent updates. Sometimes they have hotfixes for things like spot lock.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Yes try to set boat scale at -2, it may help it from over powering itself off.
    this helped mine..........now mine rarely does it...............it has only kicked off once recently........it works as it should 99% of the time......the other 1% ????????

6. Member
    Thanks for your input folks and I will change the boat scale setting and check for software updates. In a miraculous development, a G3 dealer only 15 minutes from my house is now an authorized Minn Kota service center. I last needed service on a Minn Kota in 2016, the closest service center was 90 minutes away and the guy only worked one day a week. I have had worked done by the nearby G3 dealer in the past and they are Grade A 100+.
    Last edited by fishing66; 07-05-2020 at 05:59 AM.
    Rich
    Hackettstown, NJ
    fishing66@optonline.net

This was the first symptom of my motor starting to get sluggish due to water intrusion. At first, spotlock was perfect and then it slowly started to struggle to hold and would get farther away and get real jerky. Eventually, it couldn't hold in wind or current and it would kick out. Not sure if they fixed the water intrusion in the newer motors or not, mine was a 2018 vintage. Be careful on how you go about checking for water intrusion, you can void your warranty by opening up your lower unit. You can check if the bolts are loose under the prop or see if you can turn the rear housing by pushing on the skeg one way or another. If its loose, the housing will turn pretty easy.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACQUART21 View Post
    This was the first symptom of my motor starting to get sluggish due to water intrusion. At first, spotlock was perfect and then it slowly started to struggle to hold and would get farther away and get real jerky. Eventually, it couldn't hold in wind or current and it would kick out. Not sure if they fixed the water intrusion in the newer motors or not, mine was a 2018 vintage. Be careful on how you go about checking for water intrusion, you can void your warranty by opening up your lower unit. You can check if the bolts are loose under the prop or see if you can turn the rear housing by pushing on the skeg one way or another. If its loose, the housing will turn pretty easy.
    FWIW, here's the specs on those 2 bolts

thrubolt.png