Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dogfish_Jones

Why we keep doing this to ourselves?

By this I mean we buy all these new gadgets, graphs, trolling motors, 360, power poles, talons to our boats, then it seems all we do is keep readjusting them or finding out ways to make them work right.
    Case in point with me. I am still frustrated that I am still getting RFI on my bow graphs. Is it coming from the electric head from my Ultrex, maybe from the transducer, maybe from a bad connection wherever. I’ve bought so many RFI reducing collars that Every 4” I have clamped on.
    Then a jack plate you keep adjusting to find where you are not chine walking. Always trying to adjust your transducers to get them to read clearly or while on plane. How about getting all your graphs networked together.
    I do not have any poles or talons but you hear this is bad or that is. The trolling motor section has threads filled with this unit is not working.
    I guess sitting here thinking I need to raise my jack plate another 1/4” got me to thinking of why do I keep having to tinker on everything on my boat.
    I’m not really complaining here, just wondering why we put ourselves through all this? I kind of envy those in a row boat with a Zebco 33 and a can of worms sometimes.
    I guess I am just gullible to think everything should work right from the start. Those damn crankbaits even need tuning to make them run straight in the water..........

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    My Ulterra still works perfectly after 3 years.....I have one depth finder with interferrence and new shielded wires coming to fix that......I LOVE my life on the water.....

3. Member
    maybe not always easy and right at first but on the water slowly graphing with SI a structure i think i kind-a-know with 2d and finding new stuff + fish is something i dream about since i did not wet the boat yet and tuning props and ptp to get best performance out of my first fiberglass boat and being amazed how this thing feels on the water is what i live for these days , maybe you need a brake or another hobby or passion , i got my hands full with this now and when i read all the stuff guys try and put on their boats it amazes me to what extent the tech will bring us , bring it on i need to dream !

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danlaboucane View Post
    maybe not always easy and right at first but on the water slowly graphing with SI a structure i think i kind-a-know with 2d and finding new stuff + fish is something i dream about since i did not wet the boat yet and tuning props and ptp to get best performance out of my first fiberglass boat and being amazed how this thing feels on the water is what i live for these days , maybe you need a brake or another hobby or passion , i got my hands full with this now and when i read all the stuff guys try and put on their boats it amazes me to what extent the tech will bring us , bring it on i need to dream !

“The more things you own, the more your things own you.“

Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day

Teach a man to fish, he will complain that you stole his fishing spot.

These kinds of frustrations are why man invented Golf.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

7. Member
    Guess I just got lucky with my boat.

8. Member
    I hear you. I bought a simple 16' Crestliner aluminum bass boat three years ago. Just had 5" birds put on in the console and bow. A Terrova trolling motor and called it good.

I just want to fish. It was a good change.

I dropped out of the rat race and let the rodents win. Picked up my fly poles again. Not exclusively, but most of my fishing these days. Much more relaxing. If someone beats my ‘best 5’? Good for them.

I have discovered since I started fishing on my grandfathers farm ponds and the KY river that ran beside it the older I got and more I got into it the more expensive and complicated it became. I cannot imagine trying to have a boat with all the things my son has on his and he to is always tinkering, adjusting or changing something. I am a simple person and still fish my simple way. Bass fishing technology and competitive tournaments have passed me by but that’s ok I still enjoy it in my own way.

11. Member
    Changed out my 4 blade prop for my 3 blade to impress a friend with speed. Walked back to the house and remembered my friends weight. Went back and put the 4 blade back on for the hole shot.

12. Banned
    Reminder.. knock, knock, knock...

If You read any fishing literature or watch any fishing shows, You'll be reminded that You are 'lacking' every few pages and about 12 minutes per show, YouTube™ right before the segment.

Toypuller- Your friend Charles appears to know the Tao Te Ching

13. Member
    I went very simple for a while and only kayak fished. Recently got a Skeeter to provide more fishing range. Going to keep electronics simple. My method for finding fish is “looks fishy to me”. Works amazingly well. I have caught up to FIVE fish per trip.....

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    These kinds of frustrations are why man invented Golf.
    My thinking exactly... Dan

15. Banned
    I don't have that problem. New Tracker has an Edge trolling motor, 1 trolling motor battery, 1 lowrance depth finder, 50 hp Mercury, 3 rods and a tackle bag. Simple set up.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    My Ulterra still works perfectly after 3 years.....I have one depth finder with interferrence and new shielded wires coming to fix that......I LOVE my life on the water.....
    Nice to see a positive Ulterra review...this broken down body is about ready to get a "press of a button" model!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

I have a lot of gadgets on my boat. Luckily they all work great and I keep it simple. I fish a lot more than I do spending time trying to get that extra .004mph out of my boat or try to see a fish at 413yds rather than 412yds.

Its only as complicated as you make it.

18. Member
    Lot of truth to the old phrase: “You own your stuff and your stuff owns you”.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

19. Member
    I try to keep it simple but I also enjoy tinkering with stuff in the boat.

20. Member
    The people in the fishing gadget business are very smart and have analyzed the brain of the competitive bass fisherman. They have determined that whatever they make Joe Profisherman will have to have it so not to be out done by his fishin buddies, so the gadget business will make lots of money. The analytical departments are usually ran by women.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast