Do I need a new spindle?

Went to hook up last night and realized I had lost a seal. Pulled the wheel and it appears a bearing exploded and gouged my spindle. Should I replace it or do you think this is ok?

Thanks.

Wannabe...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dress it up lightly with a file or sandpaper to get the burrs and high spots off.

Then, if the inner race of the bearing still fits close use it. If the inner race is a little sloppy on the spindle replace it.

3. Member
    Thanks! Just wanted a second opinion.

Wannabe...

Make sure the outer bearings fit and change the wear ring!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

5. Member
    I damaged mine and as long as the bearings are not sitting on that gouge you should be ok.
    If they are, sand would be ok, but if a deep gouge would be on my mind on every trip unless I replaced the spindle.
    Also, I would definitely remove that penny before reinstalling the bearings.

just get some emery and dress up the bearing fit, change the wear sleeve and O ring under it and you're good to go.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

7. Member
    You don't need a new spindle. You need a new axle. Since it is just a simple straight axle, it shouldn't be expensive. No brakes or anything to worry about.

If you change the seal surface and dress up the outer race area it might work. You don't want the axle side races to have excessive clearance, they should be a tight slip fit.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You don't need a new spindle. You need a new axle. Since it is just a simple straight axle, it shouldn't be expensive. No brakes or anything to worry about.

If you change the seal surface and dress up the outer race area it might work. You don't want the axle side races to have excessive clearance, they should be a tight slip fit.
    Please enlighten me what outer race area has anything to do with a spindle??? Outer race area is in the Hub!

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Please enlighten me what outer race area has anything to do with a spindle??? Outer race area is in the Hub!
    I was describing the outer bearing, that closest to the nuts on the wheel. The nuts. NUTS. Spindle cap.

The outer bearing. The inner race of the outer bearing.

The most damaged area in the (really good) photographs. The inner race of the OUTER bearing has probably got so much material damaged that the inner race OF THE OUTER BEARING will not anchor.

Anchoring of the respective races is important for the following QUOTE and to properly set up end play:
    Proper fitting of bearing races to shafts and housings is necessary for satisfactory bearing performance and longevity of these machine components. The proper fits require very accurate machining or grinding of shaft journal O.D.s and housing bores. Allowed tolerances are only slightly larger than those of the mating bearing components. Surface finishes and deviation from the form are also an important concern. Proper shaft O.D.s and housing bores provide two important functions:

1. Prevent race rotation relative to the shaft or housing and resultant fretting and galling.
    2. Provide proper support to the relatively thin bearing races. Without proper fits, the bearings may have to be removed from service sooner and the shaft and housing surfaces may need re-conditioned before replacement bearings can be installed. https://www.amroll.com/internal-clea...practices.html

On slow moving low loads, such as food handling equipment, such tolerances might be tolerated, but on a high load high speed bearing, such as a boat trailer which can strand you far from home, this is much more important.

Slide the outer bearing over the spindle and see if it will hang up. If it does, then file or emery the high side until it will slide AND spin freely, FREELY !! If you do use it again, check on it frequently to make sure the outer SEAL does not leak.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Slide the outer bearing over the spindle and see if it will hang up. If it does, then file or emery the high side until it will slide AND spin freely, FREELY !! If you do use it again, check on it frequently to make sure the outer SEAL does not leak.
    Spot on!

12. Member
    You dont want the bearing to spin on the spindle, you want a snug fit. The bearing is hard and the spindle is soft. If the bearing spins on the spindle it will wear and keep getting sloppy and mess with your end play. If its really sloppy on the spindle take a center punch and put a bunch of punches around the spindle to tighten up

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketbilly View Post
    You dont want the bearing to spin on the spindle, you want a snug fit. The bearing is hard and the spindle is soft. If the bearing spins on the spindle it will wear and keep getting sloppy and mess with your end play. If its really sloppy on the spindle take a center punch and put a bunch of punches around the spindle to tighten up
    An old machinist's trick, swelling the metal. Similar to knurling a piston skirt to remove excessive clearance.