Thread: Nitro trailers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I could see that being not exactly easy if your not setup to lift the trailer and axle seperately. Imagine I would have to invest in some jackstands.
    I did mine on my garage floor with a jack and a few jack stands. It helps to have a second hand. My second set took me half the time to install as compared to the first time.

I could see that being not exactly easy if your not setup to lift the trailer and axle seperately. Imagine I would have to invest in some jackstands.
    I used blocks of 8x8" wood to go in front and behind the wheels on both sides and under the tongue. Doing half of the trailer at a time is how I did it but originally I had one side still holding weight, this is why everything moved a bit on me and maid lining up hard. I would say crib up the whole thing before loosening up anything. Maybe even stick ply wood under the off side tires to make sure they don't lower down.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Also probably wouldn't be a bad idea to launch the boat and do it in the parking lot without the extra 4000 pounds on the trailer. Then with it hooked up to the truck and 2 jack stands behind the tires is all you need. But to be high enough up they need to be large jack stands and you can't put them on the axel like you would to change a tire

Good advice I will prolly just immediately replace the bolts with the wet bolts.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Good advice I will prolly just immediately replace the bolts with the wet bolts.
    You can't just do the bolts. I think you know that but to anyone skimming through you must get the whole kit including a equalizer if you have tandem axels.

Actually I thought you could just order the bolts.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

You could do the bolts and shackles at that end it you can not do the equalizer end. Honestly I think the shackles and equalizers are what make this so good not the bolts them selves

I know we digressed from the original posting. Single springs are not a big deal to me, as along as they are beefy enough.

But dang the equalizer and wet bolt thing is some good info. Cheap to do too. Thanks Fishy
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    So back to my OP......what’s the rating for the factory single leaf springs? Can’t seem to find this info. Is the dexter kit what will help get rid of the bounce i mentioned before?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    So back to my OP......what’s the rating for the factory single leaf springs? Can’t seem to find this info. Is the dexter kit what will help get rid of the bounce i mentioned before?
    Rest assured, your springs are rated to the axle specs. That said, I had mono-leaf springs on other boats and never felt safe considering one manufacturer recalled their springs due to breakage.
    Something to consider is your air pressure. I have never run any of my trailers under the max tire pressure rating. Most boat owners grossly overload their boats then neglect to figure out their actual weight. If you are running C load tires, you could put 5 psi in each tire and go from there. If you have D load tires then you have a lot more room to figure out the right psi.
    Last edited by remaly181; 07-11-2020 at 08:21 AM.

I know it got off topic but good info on the wet bolt kits i ordered a set for my trailer today thanks for those that posted info on it.

Op topic i have been around both styles and seen both styles break. The mono ones seem weaker just because of how they look but if they rated the same they can carry the same load. I have never seen one of these boats in person with mono leafs tho.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

i believe they switched to mono springs in 2019, not sure what's on the 2021s. If your a single axle your gonna get some bounce, i agree on the air pressure comments..... that might help.

It is relatively cheap to replace the springs to whatever you want.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    So if a mono spring and a 2,3,4 leaf spring have the same rating, what would be the advantage to replacing the mono spring?

Might be lighter and cheaper is all. I was thinking about Tritons when they were having leaf spring issues. I don't remember if those were multiple leaf kind or the single.

They are commonly used.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12