Pulling a tube with puma/cougar. Need prop advice.

2011 puma with 250 proxs. Looking to pull the kids around on a tube or whatever water toy they choose. As of now i run a 26 fury and know its not gona work well. Anyone else pulling tubes that can give me some advice on what pitch? Just going to put a cheap aluminum as this will rarely get used. Thanks

Might be able to find a used 24/4 fury for that, should have alot of hole shot and lift... but if you wanna fish with it may get near the limiter not pulling things. I dont know that theres a really cheap option, I would think that prop would get you a on plane speed with the right loads around 15-18 mph. I ran a 25/4 on my 17 puma with poles and it got up good.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Drop to a 24 and tell em to hold on.

4. Member
    High 5 23 pitch

Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    High 5 23 pitch
    This. Also get the Y harness with the float otherwise you are asking to get rope into the prop. Also BE VERY CAREFUL in reverse. I try to avoid it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    I have a ski pylon headed here from basscat. Have had one on every boat i have owned. Never had a 250 before and dont want to drop the pitch so low i have to worry about rpm all the time. It would be a prop only for pulling. Not going to try and make any long runs or air it out. Will switch it out to fish.

A 23 High 5 should not put you on the limiter. A five bladed prop is going to pop you up on plane, and be able to tow a skier or tube easily. You can leave it on to fish, it will just limit your top speed.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    my boat throws the rooster tail right in the kids face when tubing, so it was a one time deal then never again
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    I pulled a tube ( up to 52 even lol ) with my stock prop on my Sabre, 23p tempest at the time. Pulled them just fine so I don't think you'll need to drop down to a 5 blade, that's drastic.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerworm View Post
    I pulled a tube ( up to 52 even lol ) with my stock prop on my Sabre, 23p tempest at the time. Pulled them just fine so I don't think you'll need to drop down to a 5 blade, that's drastic.
    26 fury is not the prop needed for this. Sabre vs Pumas not apples to apples.

11. Member
    Being the Puma/Cougar, Eyra models tend to nose high during hole shot, you cant beat the 23 High five prop. Its perfect for tube, knee board, type pulling.
    Its not a cheap prop, but it will make the task of pulling more enjoyable for you and those on the tube.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    26 fury is not the prop needed for this. Sabre vs Pumas not apples to apples.

TRUE. But I was thinking maybe a smaller pitch 4 blade, that way he can pull a tube good enough and use it in other situations, instead of a tube prop only. High 5 if you tube often is fine too.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    my boat throws the rooster tail right in the kids face when tubing, so it was a one time deal then never again
    hilarious! I should have done that with my Cougar!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    A 23 High 5 should not put you on the limiter. A five bladed prop is going to pop you up on plane, and be able to tow a skier or tube easily. You can leave it on to fish, it will just limit your top speed.
    This is GREAT info, and spot on. I kept a 23 HI Five for years across several engines. It is the best tow/ski prop you'll ever run, and in the spring time, or in rough water, it will put you on the pad RIGHT NOW, and hold the bow up at insanely slow speeds. If you don't care about top end, or are in situations where hole shot and holding power is more important, it is the best prop Mercury makes. Never had any rev limiter issues with mine, and I ran it on a 200, a 225, and several 250's. A buddy has it now on a Puma FTD that we often put a shad tank in. Doesn't even blink coming out of the hole.

15. Member
    You will have a lot more fun with 21-22" pitch. Makes it easy to go moderately slow while keeping the motor up in RPM a bit. Will prevent a painful driving experience if you pull a slalom skier, as they tend to pull hard in corners pulling you off pad, then when crossing the wake you speed up too much. A good 21p prop will make that a fun drive. Just don't run it down the river at WOT or you will be all over the limiter.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200