Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Mercury Premium Plus oil in an Optimax motor

I'm sure this has been discussed before but Opti oil is suddenly hard to find in my area and while I have some on order can I use Mercury Premium Plus in my 2004 Optimax 90 hp motor? Or do I wait for the Opti oil to arrive?
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus are an acceptable substitute AND completely compatible with DFI so you can mix them. It is unknown whether Pennzoil or Citgo Premium Plus are compatible with DFI oil

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You must be in Ontario currently?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You must be in Ontario currently?
    I wish! Not allowed to cross the border. For some reason the marinas around Smith Mountain Lake are all out of Opti oil. I have a case coming via Amazon late next week. Ontario has always been a tough place for me to find Opti oil so I always take a few gallons with me even though that is supposed to be a no-no. I don’t expect to see Ontario this year.��

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus are an acceptable substitute AND completely compatible with DFI so you can mix them. It is unknown whether Pennzoil or Citgo Premium Plus are compatible with DFI oil

Thanks

6. Member
    I use Pennzoil premium plus in my 2010 Optimax. That's what the previous owner had used since it was brand new with no issues so I will continue using it.