300XS serial number location on powerhead

Looking at a pair of 300XS to purchase, serial numbers appear to indicate 20" shaft. ( 1E001988 & 1E001989 ) Engines have 25". I'm trying to locate the serial numbers on powerhead to ensure that they match. Where would they be found? I'm not finding a freeze plug. Behind ECM?14-snL.jpg13-snL.jpg4.jpg

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Black painted powerheads usually had a white decal affixed to the STARBOARD cylinder head (facing you if standing on the STB side of the powerhead).

Earlier models had the serial number stamped into the engine block at the block mating surfaces on the PORT side.

No welch-plug identifiers on these.

Definitely left the factory as 20" models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don!

4. Member
    Would the part number 897906 015 indicate a PCM for a 25" engine? Does the 20" PCM have a higher rev limiter?
    4.jpg

5. Member
    No.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    897906-15 is the 25" PCM Calibration according to the Parts Catalog. The Service Manual shows a lower WOT RPM limit for those models in Section 1-A.

CDS can be used to determine if that is actually the case.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor