Preserving PFD's?

Hello all,

Does anyone use scotch guard or a water repellent of any kind to try and preserve life jackets, just trying to think of ways to prevent mold and also preserve? Any tips?

Thanks

2. Member
    You could spray some aerospace 303 fabric guard on them. When not using them keep them out of the sun helps a lot

3. Member
    Whenever you get home, open the compartment they're stored in to let them dry, even if they didn't get wet. A LITTLE sun every now and then is a good thing, too much is, well, too much. Mold and mildew hate sun, air and Lysol.
    Last edited by granite; 07-04-2020 at 01:18 PM.

4. Member
    I take my life jackets out of the boat when I get home and hang them up. If I have been on a trip and they are soiled I will clean them with soapy water and a cloth, dry them then spray with a fabric guard.

5. Member
    I have been kicking my inflatables around in my boat for about ten years. I had mine on last year when I fell in at the dock. I was going to easily make it back to the portion of the ramp where I could walk, but I pulled the "Jerk" handle anyhow just to see if it worked. It did.

6. Member
    Best bet is to remove them from the boat and hang them up somewhere until the next trip. I’m lucky that I can hang mine off the garage door framing above my boat. This helps them to dry out whether it’s from rain or sweat and they don’t get that musty smell like if they were left in a locker.