Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Ghost Power Issues (Again)

So, was out this morning fishing and the Ghost just shutdown completely. Will not power back on, will not do anything.

This is about the 3rd occurrence of a power issue with this unit.

One trip it would not come on at all, then starting working once I got back to the house.

One trip it went crazy and would not stop when i took my foot of the pedal and the unit starting spinning like someone was pressing the pedal and it was making an awful noise.

Now it just died on the water.

At my witts end with this thing. I love the unit when it works but I am getting frustrated with not knowing when I will have another problem with it.

And yes, my batteries are charged at 87% and have full power to the unit.

Is there a reboot or anything on these units?

Any ideas?

Sorry for the rant.

2. Member
    Have you done the software update? Also be very sure when you are hitting the power button that you don’t touch the course lock button. I’ve done that a couple times and the boat just takes off in a random direction! As for the power issues, if your electrical connections are tight, you have good breakers, and good wiring back to the batteries, then I’d say you have a warranty issue and should return the thing. There has never been a single time mine hasn’t powered right up upon touching the on switch.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    If you have Lithium batteries, one may have gone to sleep. It has happened to me with the Ghost and Relion lithium batteries

This sounds like a power supply issue, not a trolling motor issue. Check DC Voltage at the main power input to the trolling motor.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Active Target 2 on Seelite Pole
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

5. Member
    My ghost showed power as in but nothing to pedal. It’s less than 3 months old. This happened about 4 times last weekend out fishing. Kinda sucks when wind was blowing 25mph.

I had to shut off. Then power back on.

thoughts?

BTW. Run 3 oddessy agm

Again, checkinput voltage. It may very well be low voltage causing it to kick out. If so, check connections all the way back to the battery. Best way is todo a voltage drop test much like the procedure on a starter motor circuit.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

7. Banned
    Voltage has been good every time. It is always the first thing I have checked.

I sent lowrance another email Friday. Maybe they will respond this time.

8. Member
    Which type of connector plug are you using? I was using a Marinco 12/24V Trolling motor plug and was having similar issues. By accident, I heard a crackle in my plug when I was trouble shooting it and found out that I had a poor connection in there or a bad solder joint that went out. I replaced the plug and no problems ever since.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    Which type of connector plug are you using? I was using a Marinco 12/24V Trolling motor plug and was having similar issues. By accident, I heard a crackle in my plug when I was trouble shooting it and found out that I had a poor connection in there or a bad solder joint that went out. I replaced the plug and no problems ever since.
    Good point but it is hard wired. It's a head scratcher. Guess I will see what Lowrance says.

Are you checking input voltage with motor running? If not, you are not properly checking it. If you have a weak connection, it can show Full voltage until the circuit is loaded. Connect meter at the input to the motor and watch meter while you engage the motor. If the voltage falls off more than a volt or so, you have a poor connection somewhere. If you have already monitored voltage with motor engaged then move on to the Ghost unit itself. It can be hard wired and still have a poor connection. Do the loaded voltage check.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

11. Member
    I have experienced this same issue four or five times. This last time it happed I notice the blue pedal light was still on but the pedal was dead. I moved the pedal all the way forward and then all the back and all started working again, not sure if the pedal movement really means anything. My two Interstate trolling batteries are three years plus old and I haven't gone through the wiring nor checked voltage yet. Because of this thread I now know I'm not the only one that's having this issue and I know where to start checking the system tomorrow.

12. Member
    N/A.
    Last edited by Retired Guy; 07-06-2020 at 10:39 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Dreaming View Post
    Voltage has been good every time. It is always the first thing I have checked.

I sent lowrance another email Friday. Maybe they will respond this time.
    I worked with a great group of Lowrance help desk/tech personnel on a noise issue in my Ghost. I found that calling Lowrance is the best way to work the issues with them. I always was able to talk with them with very little waiting time on hold.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    Are you checking input voltage with motor running? If not, you are not properly checking it. If you have a weak connection, it can show Full voltage until the circuit is loaded. Connect meter at the input to the motor and watch meter while you engage the motor. If the voltage falls off more than a volt or so, you have a poor connection somewhere. If you have already monitored voltage with motor engaged then move on to the Ghost unit itself. It can be hard wired and still have a poor connection. Do the loaded voltage check.
    I completely understand what you are saying but the motor will not run at all and I promise it is not a wiring issue.

It will not even power back on.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Guy View Post
    I worked with a great group of Lowrance help desk/tech personnel on a noise issue in my Ghost. I found that calling Lowrance is the best way to work the issues with them. I always was able to talk with them with very little waiting time on hold.
    I may have to give them a call as no reply to the latest email yet.

16. Member
    I may have to give them a call as no reply to the latest email yet.
    Your best and fastest chance of getting through to Lowrance is right away in the morning....I've only been on hold about one hour each time the last two morning calls, one call in the afternoon I was on hold 2 hours and they closed for the day.

I completely understand what you are saying but the motor will not run at all and I promise it is not a wiring issue.

It will not even power back on.
    Even if it will not run at all, you are not properly checking your wiring unless you do a voltage test under load? You can have perfect voltage to the motor without it running, but still have a bad connection somewhere. The voltmeter can read proper voltage even if the circuit is only capable of delivering micro amps, that is millionths of an Amp. That could happen across some really bad connections. When you do the same voltage test with the motor switched on it needs several amps delivered. If there is a bad connection, the adequate current (amps) cannot be delivered and the voltage will go down. Have you measured voltage with the motor foot switch actuated? If you have not, then you have yet to verify adequate connection.

I am not being argumentative. I am simply trying to help. If you have already measured as I describe then yes, move on. If you have not then you have not done adequate troubleshooting to this stage.

Have you measured the voltage while motor turned on? Doesn’t matter if it runs when turned on or not.
    Ranger R81
    Lowrance HDS Live 9”
    Lowrance HDS Live 12”
    Lowrance Ghost
    Mercury 175

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MBDiagMan View Post
    Even if it will not run at all, you are not properly checking your wiring unless you do a voltage test under load? You can have perfect voltage to the motor without it running, but still have a bad connection somewhere. The voltmeter can read proper voltage even if the circuit is only capable of delivering micro amps, that is millionths of an Amp. That could happen across some really bad connections. When you do the same voltage test with the motor switched on it needs several amps delivered. If there is a bad conn
    ection, the adequate current (amps) cannot be delivered and the voltage will go down. Have you measured voltage with the motor foot switch actuated? If you have not, then you have yet to verify adequate connection.

I am not being argumentative. I am simply trying to help. If you have already measured as I describe then yes, move on. If you have not then you have not done adequate troubleshooting to this stage.

Have you measured the voltage while motor turned on? Doesn’t matter if it runs when turned on or not.
    I did not mean to come across as argumentative either, my apologies if it came across that way.

I appreciate every option offered to trouble shoot as it is a head scratcher to me.

I have checked the voltage every way possible at this point. I think this thing has gremlins.

19. Member
    You are not alone. I have been having the same issue for two months now. It will be running then suddenly stop. The power light will still be lit most of the time but either the prop won't turn or the entire unit stops functioning. I have replaced the plug, hard wired it, hard wired it again externally to rule out a wire shorting, replaced the breaker, replaced the batteries, all to no avail. When the problem occurs, if I attempt to power it off then on the lights flicker but won't turn on. Then it will not light up at all. Then it mysteriously powers back up and runs like normal. It happened three times in a tournament yesterday, and I'm at wits end. Customer support was no help. They just said it was a voltage issue, even though it sometimes mysteriously starts back up when I flip the pedal upside down. The not-so-local service center says they are at least a month out and I have a tournament every weekend. If you find the solution please let me know.

20. Member
    I see now that Phoenix Dreaming has been banned, so if anyone else has experienced the same issue and found the solution, please reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast