Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Riding Mower for Trailer Backing

I was talking to my buddy and he was telling me his neighbor used a riding mower to get his boat in and out of the garage. I Was wondering if anyone uses a riding mower too pull there trailer in the driveway. If so what size mower.

I used a rider to pull my old aluminium boat around. Not sure it would hold up to the tongue weight of my current boat.

350-400 lb tongue weight ( glass boat) is a lot of tongue weight for a rider

Transmission in a lawn mower is not designed to handle that much stress unless it is a serious commercial grade mower

5. Member
    There was a guy near Great Moose Pd in Hartland, ME who used to haul his bass boat to the launch with his JD but that was a full-size tractor.

As to the original question, I would have no issue using a rider to move a boat on level ground. I've always used mine to haul firewood, pull the lawn roller, etc. Once you have any slope involved, all bets are off though. The question I have is how you plan to hook up to the trailer? A standard hitch is much too low on a rider

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Using a John Deere X730 now, 22 h.p. engine. For 18 years before this one, I used a JD 435, which was 20 h.p. I had a buddy fabricate a front hitch for me, which fit existing holes in the front of the frame on both tractors. All my boats have been 20 and 21 foot Rangers with tandem trailers. Just take it slow getting moving, so as not to hurt the tractor transmission. Has not damaged either of my tractors at all, and I move my boats at least 100 feet going into the garage. A little mower that costs $1200 might not fare as well, but my JDs [big enough to mow 3 acres, with 54 or 60 inch decks] are more than strong enough for the task. The front hitch puts the ball at exactly the same height as my truck hitch, too.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Banned
    I move mine around with an x580. It's not your typical home depot John Deere though.... it's got a transmission stout enough for ground engaging work. I think you would shorten the transmission life considerably on a model not designed for such. Also, the weaker transmissions for mowing-only now days are usually not serviceable - can't change the fluid in them. And when the trans goes, it's usually not cost effective to replace.

images.jpeg-7.jpg
    1586477525473.jpg

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelmin5 View Post
    Transmission in a lawn mower is not designed to handle that much stress unless it is a serious commercial grade mower
    Indeed
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Member
    Local uses an older JD that had a front mount deck with HYD deck lift. They fabed a hitch to fit the lift arms. works very well moving boats in and out of shop. Not saying you need a one purpose unit setting around.

10. Member
    I used to move an aluminum boat with mine. Glass boat too much weight for it. Bought a Trax 6000, moves it with no problem.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

11. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    I use an electric golf cart. I can pull it around my whole yard. I know others who launch and retrieve their boat with theirs.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

I have mirrors on my truck. They work pretty good.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

13. Member
    Depending on slope and distance, a boat mover might be better. I currently have a non-power one that I use to move a 19' Skeeter. Does NOT work with any grade at all. Once I get older, will have to switch to a battery powered model.

I have seen several people use larger riding mowers to move trailers.

14. Member
    X740 John Deere tractor with Yanmar Diesel engine, front hitch...................have moved MANY things with it with no problem.

Just put a ball on the front of your truck.

16. Member
    I do I have a diesel JD riding mower with a ball on the front. Works great on my Phoenix 919 I have exactly 3 inches of clearance on each side of my garage and my drive is not exactly a straight shot.

17. Member
    I wouldn't think moving a boat would be any harder on a rider then blowing snow with tire chains ramming a hard snow bank, or tilling garden....We pulled a 13hp 60" Swisher behind a (cheaply built)JD Saber for 12 years with no problems...

18. Member
    Not a rider but Ive used an ATV to move mine

I seen a side by side launching and pulling a boat out before..

20. Member
    Just curious, why not just use your tow vehicle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast