live wells over flowing

Why do I have overflow hoses on my live wells and they still over flow if I have fill turned on? While trying to keep fresh water on some big smallies last Sunday I noticed the live wells soaking my carpet around the lid this was after my auto bilge kicked on. How are you guys getting fresh water into your fish?

2. Member
    You're using a 500-750gph with a 3/4" hose to fill/add water to the livewells. You're over-flow is also a 3/4" hose w/o a pump. There's no way the over-flow drain, being gravity operated, can/will prevent over-filling the live wells. Far as I know there's only one, logical, way to fill the livewell or add fresh water and that's with the fill pump. I can usually, sometimes, hear the water coming out of the over-flow port. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes the livewells over-fill. Sometimes the bilge pump reminds me to turn off the fill pump...

3. Member
    I always run my pumpout and my fill pump at the same time to change to fresh water in mine. I never fail to over fill my livewells every time I fish a tournament and get water all over the back deck.

U can’t run it on Fill all day...
    just add fresh water every hour or so if you need...
    keep the aerators at wide open...
    add some ice
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

5. Member
    Just like the aerators are on a timer you can put the fill pump on the timer. I do that from time to time when I want to add water and not worry about over-flow.

6. Member
    Thanks Guys.. : )