Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    So question...I have a GPSMAP 1022 with LVS 32 transducer coming tomorrow. Sounds like i should leave all updates alone. Is that what you guys would do if you had it to do over again?

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Jim.
    1. About a forced backup damaging your system. Any software update, forward or backward could possibly theoretically brick a system if anything goes wrong. Most companies that produce software, when dealing with support calls will insist you first update to the latest version. It's easier for them if everybody runs the latest version. I don't buy that it might damage your system. Garmin says there there are no remnants of the new software left when you retro a forced update. It can't be both ways. It didn't damage your system when it was a current upgrade. I have not seen one report of a bricked system doing a current or forced update.
    2. I have an 8616, 1242, 2 boxes and 1 LVS32

Roy.
    1 Disappearing brush pile. I've not see that. By altering pointing, I pick targets back up. I don't doubt your reports about what you've observed. In addition to setting TVG and NR OFF, try gain on Auto Low and Auto Medium. It's going to be messy, but I'd like to know how that affects the weak area and pointing.

mdhacker444. Choose what best suits how you fish.

Gene.
    You lost me. I thought your point was that you did see a difference based on water depth.
    Yes. Harder bottom does seem to be a factor.
    Yes. I think your switching boxes makes a convincing case about the box.

brettw. A couple of differences. I think SI on 455 kHz of GT54 is good. I've not been able to find performance differences between v2.20 and v2.41. Not sure what to do to see the differences you and others report. Not disputing it. Just haven't seen it.

Where some of us may likely differ:
    1. Retro forced update is the same as original
    2. Ghost trees have always been there.
    3. Weak area has always been there. It's also there in v2.20
    4. Waiting for better LVS software? Might be a long wait. A completely new LVS with different or more elements may be a better bet.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I have 2 systems one old and one new update they can’t bs me .

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    I have 2 systems one old and one new update they can’t bs me .
    Old 2.20 ?

5. Member
    windchester,i must have been on wrong page,yes at deep water can see jig all way in,sorry for confusion

6. Member
    By myself it was hard to film.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adventurejack View Post
    So question...I have a GPSMAP 1022 with LVS 32 transducer coming tomorrow. Sounds like i should leave all updates alone. Is that what you guys would do if you had it to do over again?
    You will most likely have the new software.

8. Member
    Trystanking please post you settings if possible yea your system does look good .Don't think I've seen your seeings might have missed it.

9. Member
    I'm not near my system but for forward, noise high, tvg off or low, gain 30-60, color gain 80-100. The new update as stated by others runs very hot Imo. I used to be at 60-80 with the gain. And im sure that you guys all know that there is alot of tweaking just like Si, if I'm fishing shallow rocks and then slide over to sand and weeds the settings change quite a bit. Direct 10 guage wire to a dedicated battery.

10. Member
    Even when I had the older software I never found it very easy to
    Follow a jig back to the boat, Atleast my unit had a hard time. Even when I was Ice fishing if there was a jig 30-40' out the difference from being in the. Cone or out was like a 1/4 inch turn. I can follow the lure in but I fish big water and at what point are you spending more time trying to follow the lure rather than just fishing

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trystanking View Post
    I'm not near my system but for forward, noise high, tvg off or low, gain 30-60, color gain 80-100. The new update as stated by others runs very hot Imo. I used to be at 60-80 with the gain. And im sure that you guys all know that there is alot of tweaking just like Si, if I'm fishing shallow rocks and then slide over to sand and weeds the settings change quite a bit. Direct 10 guage wire to a dedicated battery.
    Mmmmppp0ppppp

12. Member
    jim,i have found out that it is not so much that we do not have unit adjusted right,all units are different as well as lakes,as for adjusting ,garmin livescope is the unit to adjust,gain ,noise,color,and if you are not deep water fishing keep tvg off,many are making it sounds like you just need to do a little more adjusting,not so,i do say make sure unit is proper install,however i don't believe it have to be as level as many are making it out to be,it still is going to be pointed somewhere and will give you the reading that it receives,i understand the bottom will move up and down some on a flat bottom if not level,but still a picture of what it is pointed at, trystanking,it looks like you just happen to get one of the better boxes but as far as following one's bait far out,it takes much practice,not easy ,the easy way imo is on shalf of tm without tilt of ducer,hands free.btw is your lake a hill land lake or a flatland lake,flatland lakes has a softer bottom making it easier to adjust to see fish and jig

13. Member
    i meant garmin livescope is the easier to adjust than any other company

14. Member
    My unit is on a home made pole that is all over the place as far as level. I can intentionaly throw it out of level and Still get good readings.

15. Member
    Trystanking and Genec Thanks I'm going to try these suggestions . Maybe it will help.

16. Banned
    Try find me a brush pile and post it. No turning the scope just straight over the top on a constant heading.

The new system I ordered made no difference using either transducer.

You boys keep blaming your lack of ability to set it correctly and they will never care. I ran mine for many, many hours with nothing like I see now.

17. Member
    I only went out for a little while today. No I didn't take any pictures. Did a few of the adjustments suggested here, they only made things worse. Every brushpile today would have a dead zone through it when it was 20 to 30 feet away from the transducer no matter how I turned the transducer or whatever adjustments I made. All my brush was in 20 to 30 fow. I could turn the gain up really high and the dead zone was still really apparent. When the brush was closer than 20 feet or in the 30 to 40 foot range of showed up really well but between 20 and 30 feet it was really bad. As bad as it was before Garmin replaced my black box and transducer. Guess I'll give Garmin a call but I'm beyond frustrated with something that WAS excellent and now you have to try to work around this issue.

18. Member
    pfisher,when you said [ you boys ] hope you were not referring to me because i am saying, it is not so much in the adjustment as it is in the box,i could adjust mine before updates and can get my friends to do a fair adjustment,not like my first unit but liveable,thanks guys,still waiting for a decent update.Roy sorry to hear your's getting like mine,i took it off boat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast