Powertech BRV5 prop info

I finally got some better info from powertech on the BRV5 that I am running and recommended for some others to try. I have 1 and ordered another BRV5in a 30 pitch and happykamper ordered one in a 26 to try on his 300R and we both got props with no PVS holes. The one I have already been running is a 28 flared barrel and has 5 pvs holes. Part numbers were identical from what I have and what I ordered so I expected to receive the same thing I have just taller pitch but when my new one arrived and was totally different I knew something wasn’t right.
    i talked to Stephen there when I got my prop and was asking why is it different and his first answer was they do not do pvs holes in these props but he was wrong because I have one already. He did not give me anymore info about it, all he said was for me to run it and see if it would work and if not they would drill it to fix it. I tried it and holeshot was not good and would not run like I expected. I spoke to Clay at powertech yesterday and he provided better info on the BRV5 and is going to exchange my prop for what I was expecting to get. He told me they have a SF version and a LF version and the difference is, the SF is a shorter barrel with no pvs holes in it, the LF is a long barrel with a croxton flare and 5 pvs holes. I was also told the SF starts as the same barrel as a hydromotive. When I and happykamper ordered our props there was no designation on different barrels at all. I assume they bettered their info and maybe added that info after I fussed about it first and said there was a problem and it needs fixed. If kamper would have gotten the “LF” barreled prop I don’t think he would be dealing with his issue he is dealing with but it wasn’t his fault since the description didn’t specify different versions. Powertech should have caught or questioned our orders to start with.

I tried my 30 earlier this week and it doesn’t have the lift my 28 does and the difference is the SF barrel on the 30 and the LF barrel on the 28 and couldn’t turn it over 56-5700 rpm at 74mph where I can run my 28 at 61-6200 and 84mph by myself and 79-80 with 2 people and a bunch of crap. I am having them send me a 29 pitch LF version barrel this time and see how it does. Being on the XRS boat I think the flared barrel helps with the holeshot and it lifts the boat better than the SF version. I don’t have as much seat time in a Bullet that others do so i am still learning the boat and what differences these props are doing but I am happy with mine and the 28 flared BRV5 so far for a loaded boat with 2 people. Just wanted to share this prop info in case anyone else decides to try one I would suggest you to tell who ever you order one from whether you want the SF or LF barrel so you get the right one to start with.

Keep the info coming...we’re workin on a 300R/21XRD.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Keep the info coming...we’re workin on a 300R/21XRD.
    clint21xd on here is running the BRV5 30 pitch and really likes it. According to his info he has the SF model with no pvs. Maybe he’ll check my post here and chime in for ya. He made comments about it in the hydraulic jack plate post also. Personally, but then again I’m still a greenhorn, I don’t think the 300R motors really need the PVS plugs like the 2 smokers do. I could be wrong too, my wife always tells me I am, lol.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    clint21xd on here is running the BRV5 30 pitch and really likes it. According to his info he has the SF model with no pvs. Maybe he’ll check my post here and chime in for ya. He made comments about it in the hydraulic jack plate post also. Personally, but then again I’m still a greenhorn, I don’t think the 300R motors really need the PVS plugs like the 2 smokers do. I could be wrong too, my wife always tells me I am, lol.
    I'm running a 21rdc/300R with the 30 BRV5 no PVS holes. It did very well for me out of the box with a good hole shot and would run low 90s loaded with 2 people. I did have some issue with it being very sensitive to trim to the point I had blow out in the 80s on a couple occasions. I sent it to Josh at Steves props to have this addressed and he B and B and added tip cup to it. I havent got to really open it up since getting it back with all the boat traffic but have got it to 83 at 5300 RPM . Taking into account the tip cup added that is only %6 slip so im thinking its going to do really well and again that is with 2 people and a heavy load.
    Josh is a dealer for PowerTech and can work a prop for your setup before shipping to you.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clint21xd View Post
    I'm running a 21rdc/300R with the 30 BRV5 no PVS holes. It did very well for me out of the box with a good hole shot and would run low 90s loaded with 2 people. I did have some issue with it being very sensitive to trim to the point I had blow out in the 80s on a couple occasions. I sent it to Josh at Steves props to have this addressed and he B and B and added tip cup to it. I havent got to really open it up since getting it back with all the boat traffic but have got it to 83 at 5300 RPM . Taking into account the tip cup added that is only %6 slip so im thinking its going to do really well and again that is with 2 people and a heavy load.
    Josh is a dealer for PowerTech and can work a prop for your setup before shipping to you.
    My BRV 5 is en route from Josh as I type, should have it this pm or in the morning, will run it Wed-Thurs to see what it will do.

Anything with powertech is a crapshoot from orders to props. You can get 2 identical props that will make you think you changed motors when you changed props. You can order 2 identical props and get 2 that the secretary would notice was wrong.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

7. Member
    Alli SS

What your saying combined with a owner that was an absolute ass to a potential customer speaks volumes imo...If they built a prop that would make my boat run 200mph, I wouldn’t owe it on a bet..
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

I have seen a lot of boat issues get solved by replacing one. The new xpress boats come factory with them and ive seen boats get 7mph by taking them off and putting a good prop on there

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Member
    Well I ran mine today, never had a chance to air it out but the hole shot still sucks. I think I am going to look for a 175 gear case, do they make one in a sportmaster ?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Well I ran mine today, never had a chance to air it out but the hole shot still sucks. I think I am going to look for a 175 gear case, do they make one in a sportmaster ?
    Yes they do, that is what is on mine and what came on the 300R’s when they first hit the market. The 1.60 that you have came out April last year.
    Last edited by Sleepy111; 07-10-2020 at 07:40 PM.

11. Member
    I was thinking about trying BRV5 but with the reviews and after talking to them I believe I am just going finish trying the inventory I have. Then pick out a good back up prop and buy a Max 5. I have really not heard anything bad about the Max except for the price. Thank you to all for sharing experiences....
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Yes they do, that is what is on mine and what came on the 300R’s when they first hit the market. The 1.60 that you have came out April last year. A new 1.75 SM lower unit retails right at $10k. I have a complete extra 1.75 SM lower unit I have thought about selling.
    I am going to try a 25-26 Pro Max prop as soon as I can find one, if that does not work then I am seriously considering changing lower units. I was told by Josh at Steve's props that the pro max would not be any good for my set up , I am not getting my hopes up. I am not certain that I am getting 100 % WOT, the tech tested it and he said it was at 100 %, I was told if he did not verify that it went back to zero after i let off the throttle then I am not getting WOT, he did say that my highest rpm's were 6100, I had been running 27 and 28 Bravo 1 xs props, and that was in the cooler months.

13. Member
    Hydromotive makes a 5 blade prop. I don't know anything about them but they are a tad bit cheaper than a max 5
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I'll add my info in and prob really confuse the issue. I have a 20xdc, with a flashed 250R (325hp), 1:75 sportmaster, 14" hydraulic jack-plate, (1) 24v lithium battery and (1) lead crank batt. I have tried so many props I have lost track. Biggest issue being a very doggy hole shot to not even getting on plane. And I'm not running big pitch props, 28's, 29's and a 30 are the biggest I've ran.

The best prop I have ran so far was a 29 Bravo Lab. Boat was insane with that prop (but it wasn't for sale) and it had mods done that I'm not sure what all had been done.

The prop I'm trying now is a 30 pitch proto type Signature, 5 blade. It resembles a Max5 a lot. Full tank of fuel, full live well with just me in the boat, it comes out of the hole "ok" (not great) and runs ~95 at 6500 rpm's. Thought I was very happy, until..........I added my 180lb partner and the boat literally will not get on plane....just dogs along. Partner can sit on front deck and boat breaks over easily.

The prop didnt come with any PVS holes, so sent it to get drilled, will get it back today and going to try it out tonight (with my fishing partner and everything including the kitchen sink).

I have been running this same boat since 2003, started out with a 2.5 Drag then went to a 250 Sport XS, had no issues setting those engines up, but for some reason this 250R is really moody, and defies all outboard logic at times.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sowenssw View Post
    I'll add my info in and prob really confuse the issue. I have a 20xdc, with a flashed 250R (325hp), 1:75 sportmaster, 14" hydraulic jack-plate, (1) 24v lithium battery and (1) lead crank batt. I have tried so many props I have lost track. Biggest issue being a very doggy hole shot to not even getting on plane. And I'm not running big pitch props, 28's, 29's and a 30 are the biggest I've ran.

The best prop I have ran so far was a 29 Bravo Lab. Boat was insane with that prop (but it wasn't for sale) and it had mods done that I'm not sure what all had been done.

The prop I'm trying now is a 30 pitch proto type Signature, 5 blade. It resembles a Max5 a lot. Full tank of fuel, full live well with just me in the boat, it comes out of the hole "ok" (not great) and runs ~95 at 6500 rpm's. Thought I was very happy, until..........I added my 180lb partner and the boat literally will not get on plane....just dogs along. Partner can sit on front deck and boat breaks over easily.

The prop didnt come with any PVS holes, so sent it to get drilled, will get it back today and going to try it out tonight (with my fishing partner and everything including the kitchen sink).

I have been running this same boat since 2003, started out with a 2.5 Drag then went to a 250 Sport XS, had no issues setting those engines up, but for some reason this 250R is really moody, and defies all outboard logic at times.
    Thanks for sharing!