Looking for a new tin

Thinking of selling my 2017 198P and buying a Vexus 2080 but the nearest dealer is around 2 and a half hours away so I haven't had a chance to check one out up close and personal. Was wondering if people are happy with their Vexus. I know I will get an extra 50 HP but how does the Vexus stack up compared to the 198P layout and build quality?

Also posted this on your thread int he Tin Boats Forum.

I can't compare the 2080 to the 198P, but I can compare the 1980 to an RT188. My buddy in SC had a RT188 for 6 years and last January got a 1980. The Vexus is light years ahead in terms of ride, size of storage and dryness of the storage, fit and finish, and quality of construction.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    I can't speak for the boat you are considering but I have of of Ranger's CC aluminum boats, and if I had it to do all over again I would own a Vexus, I believe that since these guys left Ranger because of JM they have a personal vendetta against him. They are building one heck of a boat, and the issues folks are having with the Rangers aren't happening with the Vexus. I'm not necessarily talking about major things but overall. I like my boat but I really like those boats. JMHO

4. Member
    I looked long and hard before buying. Considered Ranger, various fiberglass boat, Avid aluminum boats and settled on a Vexus. The features and quality looked the best to me. I bought an 1880 because that fit in my budget but my desire was to get a 1980 with tandem trailer. Loving the handling of the 1880 so far. Only have a few hours though. The Yamaha SHO seems really strong. You won’t be disappointed with a Vexus at all! Prior to this boat I owned an Alumacraft Pro 185 And my dad had a Crestliner VT17. No comparison at all. The Vexus is in a totally different class!
    2022 Avid 20XB | 2022 Yamaha SHO 200 | Minn Kota Raptors | Hummingbird and Garmin electronics

5. Member
    Thanks for the info, looking forward to seeing one up close and personal. I also like the idea of the sea deck flooring.

6. Member
    How is the bow area around the foot pedal while fishing? Does it feel cramp? I am looking at possibly getting a Ranger RT 188 or Vexus 1880. I measured right behind the foot pedal and there is almost 60" from Gunnel to Gunnel for the RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tqisme View Post
    How is the bow area around the foot pedal while fishing? Does it feel cramp? I am looking at possibly getting a Ranger RT 188 or Vexus 1880. I measured right behind the foot pedal and there is almost 60" from Gunnel to Gunnel for the RT.
    The AVX 189 is probably more like the RT 188 than the 1880 as far as width and style.

It would be great if this measurement was posted on entire AVX line.

Not seeing a whole lot of good things posted lately about Ranger service lately but like all brands, you mostly only hear about the horror stories.

I have ran both a pre-JM ranger and now picking up my 2nd Vexus on Thursday. There is honestly no comparison between the 2 brands. Vexus offers a boat that is extremely well built and very well thought out. The performance is equal to any 18.5-19' glass boat. I was actually in Cabela's this weekend and man the quality of Rangers has changed a lot over the years. It is a shame. Buy a Vexus with confidence. The team behind Vexus truly want the owners to be happy with their purchase. You aren't seeing this in very many brands. They are very engaged with the owners and always very responsive. Tell me where you can call the CEO/President of the brand and bounce questions and/or ideas off them about their boats? You think Johnny will pick up when you call? I am not bashing the JM brand, however in terms overall quality, they aren't on the same playing field.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

9. Member
    I was able to measure a 1980 near the pedal back of foot pedal from gunnel to gunnel was 50".