Youghiogheny Dam 7-2-2020 Great Day

This was the first trip out for my wife. She took today and Friday off. So I was excited to get her out and my hand was doing better. You really have to fish the Youghiogheny on a weekday. We were not in a hurry and got tonthe lake around 9AM. There were not that many boats in the water from the dam launch. I did see that Steiny was on the water. Scott is really a nice guy. When we took at last week had asked my if I needed help as he knew I was still having problems with my wrist, thanks Scott.

We did have a brief talk with him around the RT 40 area and he had caught a couple of fish.

So today was hot, boat traffice light. The story is we hit fish and big fish like I never did before.

The first fish I caught was large and I mean large. I fish with light tackle, always did. I struggle to get the large small mouth o the boat. My wrist is killing me and makes it that much harder. This fish was just dancing on the surface. Of course the net is in the locker and my wife could not get the latch open. I play it and struggle to get it to the side of the boat. Then i make a mistake. I grabbed the line so i could try to lip it. SNAP. I Lost it that fast.

Well I get the net out and about 10 mins later I can not believe it I'm into another even bigger small mouth. I am being honest I have never seen this big of a fish. This has a sad ending, but it was ok. I struggle to get it to the boat again my wrist just hurts like heck. My wife swipes with the net. Before I could say anything she misses and the line comes up and over the net and goes snap.

Hey it was still fun, I was out with me wife and she got to see two of the biggest bass I ever hooked. We caught a total of 12nnice size bass today.

Ok here are your tips. I was using a big Purple with Red flecks Senko with just some little weight. You have to fish these slow and feel the bottom. We were in shallow water will go over that later. My wife was using a brown crawdad soft bait with a little weight.

Hit every tree that is sticking out of the water near the shore. Go to the MD side. The lake forks. Take the right fork where the eagle nest sits on top of the telephone pole. Hit the first single tree on the right side that sits a little distance from the bank. Next cross the lake and find where the tree with green leaves has fallen into the water. This is where the big bass was holding.

Hit the shallow point where the foundation is out of the water. Work the bank and flat slowly, very slowly to the flag with the rock.

Last try to Rt 40 bridge. Hit the supports just of the left bank as your going toward the dam.then hit the second one out.

Last there is a small cove as soon as you make the first turn from the dam launch. You can't miss it there is a bouy. The small cove is directly across. Go to the end and toss some jigs into the lumber on the right. You just might find a big surprise.

Have fun I'm off the water for a few days. Just have plans for the weekend.

Look trust me one time. Use a Senko, the big one. Purple or Blue. Weight on so you can feel every pebble. Fish slow then slower. You will not get an explosive bite. It will feel like a snag or dead weight. You know your working it correctly when you can see wear on the hook. If you use red hooks it will take all the paint off.

2. Member
    Sounds like you did very well. I was also out today, put in early 5:30 AM and was done by 1:00 PM. I too totaled about a dozen nice fish with 4 being very nice. Did all my damage with the trusty drop shot working water from 15' out to about 30'. Searched around deeper but didn't have any luck. I have a hard time putting the drop shot down when I am on the Yough after the water starts to warm in the late Spring. 3" & 4" senkos are one of my staples as well as a few other Yamamoto baits on the drop shot. Isolated boulders and rock piles always hold a nice fish if you can get them to play. I have been staying north of Rt. 40 lately but did play around south of the bridge before I left. Good luck next time out, I am staying away from the Yough through the rest of the weekend, may hit the rivers through the holidays.

3. Member
    You know I mean to look for you but I forget every time. I blew by the 40 bridge and did not get back to it until around 1pm today. Yes the weekend starting Friday should be goofy on the lake. I actual have a wedding on Saturday, my best friends daughter so I have no choice. Then I'm off to Little Washington my daughter just moved into a new townhouse so I have to do the dad thing and visit.
    Last edited by Fx20 2011; 07-02-2020 at 05:09 PM.

4. Member
    Thanks again for the kind words FX it's always a pleasure to chat with you also. I have not been catching a lot of fish on the yough the last couple of weeks which is my own fault i am playing with different things on the water more than just doing what i usually do. My usual stuff i know catches fish but if i catch one fish then go play with stuff out of the usual then i am happy. Just trying different stuff. We buy all this tackle and still go out and use the stuff we know catches fish. So i have been doing different things and trying different spots. It's not that i don't know how to do the different things it is that i have it and just don't use it. Also it is that i know where i can catch fish and just trying spots that i am sure have fish that are not getting the pressure that other spots are getting.

5. Member
    Don't feel bad I wasn't doing all that well up to this last trip. I will be able to get out more during the week days. I just bought a dark grey RAM 1500 Crew Cab. So now I have a tow vehicle for the weekdays.

6. Member
    I know i can catch fish at the yough on the bank so i have been exploring and finding some other stuff to fish. I always wanna make sure i catch 1 fish so i am not skunked but then i have been playing with new things just to play in those spot that don't get touched. Its fun playing and trying new areas and you have to understand in doing so that you run the risk of not catching the numbers that you normally do and i am ok with that if i am learning.

7. Member
    20200707_152043.jpg
    This is the new RAM, it's gray. So if you see a Skeeter trailer behind its me. The Jeep was pretty easy to spot as it was a limited color. Hoping to go tomorrow or Thursday

8. Member
    Looks good. Congrats. Good luck not sure i will get out or not, if i would it would be in the evening because my vacation is over and i am back to it. I still have some vacation to use this year so i have more time yet to spend on the water.