Oil everywhere whats your opinion.

Engine is a 2018 Mercury 200 Pro xs SN: 2B123564

A month or so ago, I was on a fishing trip and lost all engine power the engine would not idle it just shuddered and died every time I started it. I figured it was the compressor and while looking at the engine I also discovered that the oil pump was leaking. So i take it to my dealership where I bought the motor and told him what was up, he replaced the compressor and replaced the oil pump. I got the engine back 3 weeks later, ran it and it ran great. I get home and I have oil pouring out of the engine. I open the engine up and find oil all over the engine from the top to the bottom. The top cover is completely covered with oil. I take it back to the dealership they say that the cap on the oil reservoir is stripped and needs to be replaced. They replace the reservoir and run the engine. I run the engine up river and back when I get to the ramp I again have engine oil pouring out onto my jack plate. Open the engine again and Oil is from top to bottom and again all over the top cover. I take it back to the dealership and they tell me that the new tank was bad and needs to be replaced so I am suppose to pick it up this afternoon after they test run it.

My question is, if the oil tank on the side of the engine is leaking oil, how does it go up two feet and get to the top of the engine? The dealership is saying that there is so much wind created under the cowling that it goes everywhere, but it is not all over my cowling.

I guess I am just looking for someone who has had a engine oil tank leak and if they had oil on top of their motor.

Any opinion is welcome, and I hope I run the boat tomorrow and all is well, but I am afraid I will have the same results.

Thank you.
    '03 Ranger 519 VX

2. Member
    The oil is under pressure, so it will go everywhere.

How full are you running the remote oil tank, not to the top I hope
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As Savage stated- it's under pressure and will be all over the place if the oil tank cap leaks.

That being said- it usually doesn't end up ON TOP of the engine. If indeed there is oil ON TOP of the engine, I would be checking to see which one of the Air Compressor Oil Line (or Return Oil Lines) didn't get connected properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Got it figured out. It was the new compressor leaking from the seal. When I got to the dealership I found out that the lady up front told me the wrong part they replaced. That was the only reason for my post I couldn’t believe that the oil was getting where it was from the oil tank. Thanks for the advice guys have a great 4th of July.
    '03 Ranger 519 VX

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor