Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wheel bearing grease

Changing from oil to grease in my hubs, recommendation for grease.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

2. Member
    I suggest marine grease for sure. There are several out there and all are better than standard grease. I like Lucas marine. You can find many places, auto, big box, online you name it!

3. Member
    Changing from oil to grease in my hubs, recommendation for grease.

Lubrimatic and or Lucas in a calcium sulfonate base are probably the easiest availability and has the best performance with water integration into the hub.

https://www.amazon.com/LubriMatic-11.../dp/B000LNRY3M

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/marine-grease

Menards carries the Lucas calcium sulphanate.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/a...993-c-9104.htm

I use Lubrimatic Marine Grease for my boat trailer and utility trailer. Drop point 550*F.

Pick a grease a stick with it.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Member
    Lucas #2 Red and Tacky. If your moving from the hybrid vault “stuff” in the manual it even recommends Lucas Red and Tacky. I just converted from Vaults to Bearing Buddies so glad I did.

Edit: And you can purchase Lucas Red and Tacky almost anywhere, Walmart, Autoparts stores, Lowe’s etc.

I like Lucas however any MPG (Multi Purpose Grease) #2 marine grease will do. Mystic JT6 and Lubrimatic are also quality lubricants.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Amsoil synthetic Marine Grease #2

8. Member
    I just changed my hubs from vortex to bearing buddies, which use traditional grease. I asked my trailer guy what grease he likes to use, he likes hi temp axle grease (disc brakes get hot). Not sure if it is true, but he said the only diff between regular grease and marine is that they add bees wax to marine grease. It is his opinion that I don't need to use marine grease in AZ, because it never freezes. He could understand if I lived in the cold ne. Just passing it on.

I have a 2006 marine master trailer that I am wanting to change from oil bath to buddy bearings/grease. ? Did you get new hubs? Where did you get your parts? Thanks
    2006 Triton TR186, 175 Optimax,

Quote Originally Posted by SPOTREMOVER2 View Post
    I have a 2006 marine master trailer that I am wanting to change from oil bath to buddy bearings/grease. ? Did you get new hubs? Where did you get your parts? Thanks
    I converted mine from oil bath to grease. No need to replace the hubs. I used the UFP Trailer Buddy’s on mine.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Lucas marine grease has been the best so far that i have tried. Its good stuff.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Lucas #2 Red and Tacky. If your moving from the hybrid vault “stuff” in the manual it even recommends Lucas Red and Tacky. I just converted from Vaults to Bearing Buddies so glad I did.

Edit: And you can purchase Lucas Red and Tacky almost anywhere, Walmart, Autoparts stores, Lowe’s etc.
    Ran tacky red in my last trailer for for 11 yrs. Towed many long distance destination's, never an issue. Just replaced seal and repacked once a year as PM. It is water resistant, high pressure. New trailer runs Vault.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOTREMOVER2 View Post
    Sorry I missed your post, I used the same hubs but mine had the screw in caps. Luckily for me Bearing Buddy makes a screw in cap!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Lucas marine grease has been the best so far that i have tried. Its good stuff.
    I’m with this.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

15. Member
    Ill put in another vote for Lucas red and tacky. The thing i like about it the most is it stays put so if you loose a cap it does not sling all over the place. Back in 2008 i lost a bearing on my brand new trailer that had less an 1000 miles on it. After i fixed it i towed it home 200 miles with no cap and no rear seal( The disc was destroyed and they just fell off) and i hardly lost any grease. very little slung on the fender or boat and when i took it apart when i got home the hub was still full just as i had packed it in the parking lot when i fixed it.

On a side note, the reason the bearing failed was the crappy bearings and races tie down engineering used back then. I took the other side apart and had my father who was a metallurgist look at them and he showed me under a microscope the cracks from poor heat treating. I also had him look at the brand new ones that came in the new disc i needed to buy, same deal. It was destined to fail when it was built. I ended up replacing everything with FAG brand bearings, they are made in Germany and are super high quality. Those are still in the trailer to this day.

Been using Mobil1 grease for over 20 years now. Started using full synthetic due to its resistance to water dulution and higher heat tolerance. This was when there were few "marine" lubercants to choose from. Never a bearing problem, seal failure or heat realated issue. Autozone has it. This being said both Lucas and Amsoil make quality products and I would not hesitate to use them.

17. Member
    I spent a pretty good bit testing grease and valvoline cerulean was winner. Havent had issue with any bearing or heavy equipment part since using only that
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dk239 View Post
    Sorry I missed your post, I used the same hubs but mine had the screw in caps. Luckily for me Bearing Buddy makes a screw in cap!
    Would you happen to have the part number for the buddy bearing screw in caps? Where did you get them?
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

We just finished changing out my buddies oil to grease on a 2005 Ranger Trailer, we using to Lucas Marine Grease #10320 which was recommended by Waymire Distribution in Indianapolis, in addition to their recommendation I found their staff extremely knowledgeable. Had a hard time finding wear sleeves for a Tie Down Trailering System, spoke with Chad he knew exactly what I was looking for, had them next day. They will be getting my business from this point forward.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

20. Member
    Went from Vault hubs to Bearing Buddy. Lucas Red and Tacky grease. Same grease in my 8500lb travel trailer bearings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast