Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex in the weeds?

Is it just me or is the Ultrex not as good in the weeds? My old minnkota would just power thru. My new ultrex gets weeds wrapped around the head and bogs down. Most of the time I have to put it on power 10 and lift the head to get out of the weeds. Are others experience this too?

2. Member
    We have a lot,of pads down here with a rope like stem,they love to wrap around the prop and the shaft but I don’t think it’s any worse than my old Fortrex. I don’t really see any worse problem in regular grass though. I just lift the motor and rev it up on high to blow them off. Been thinking about getting one of those ninja blades for it.

Precision Sonar is running a free shipping special on the NGB

4. Member
    I have a Ninja Grass Blade on mine and it seems to do a good job and I fish a lot of shallow weeds.

5. Member
    I have the 80lb thrust motor and have been in thick weeds and it can get bogged down with the stock prop. In some cases, have had to remove prop and clear the grass.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

6. Member
    my ultrex is much worse in weeds than the fortrex. I think it has to do with the slow start up feature . I think the fortrex claimed to have it also but I never noticed it like on the ultrex.

7. Member
    I just tried my Ultrex for the first time on southern Champlain in heavy milfoil. I installed the NGB 2 before it ever hit the water and I never had any grass on the motor when I pulled it out of the water, I replaced a fortrex with a NGB on it as well and I did not notice any real difference between the two in the grass. I love to fish slop so this is a must have imo, and for the money it is worth every penny and then some.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

8. Member
    I had the same experience as cwalsh above. Had a Fortex with one NGB and then went to an Ultrex with one NGB and found no difference. I added a second NGB on my Ultrex and I can get through anything. Lots of heavy vegetation in the lakes I fish.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

cwalsh - catdude28 - db220 - guys I can't thank you enough for the kind words about the Ninja Grass Blade. Anglers like yourselves help spread the word and it means so much more to the average guy. By word of mouth there are over 12000 NGB being used today.

10. Member
    Never tried the NGB, but am willing to give it a shot. I do have one question about installation. How good is that tape? Id hate to purchase one only to have the tape fail and loose my NGB. Do you guarantee the tape method?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfish1 View Post
    Precision Sonar is running a free shipping special on the NGB

I put a TH Marine Grass Goat on my 112 Ultrex and have not had any problems with dollar pads or grass since? Just m.j make sure you order the right one. The 112 & 80 take different ones.
    Scott Inman

I’ve had the ninja grass blade on my Terrova for three years now, and it’s awesome. Hardly ever any weeds on the prop, and the tape has held as strong as the day I put it on.
    Triton Tr17, Yamaha 130
    Lund Pro V 1900, Optimax 200
    Smokercraft Pro Mag 182, Suzuki DF140
    Helix 9si, 10si mega
    Minnkota Talon, Terrova

13. Member
    Tape holds up really well. Be sure to clean the area with alcohol before application and you will be fine.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    Is it just me or is the Ultrex not as good in the weeds? My old minnkota would just power thru. My new ultrex gets weeds wrapped around the head and bogs down. Most of the time I have to put it on power 10 and lift the head to get out of the weeds. Are others experience this too?

If you’re referring to the hydrilla at Choke, then I don’t think much is going through that crap. It’s way too thick for anything to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    If you’re referring to the hydrilla at Choke, then I don’t think much is going through that crap. It’s way too thick for anything to get through.
    Or Amistad or Hubbard creek.. I tried a few different products then made my own. It will still get bogged down under the right conditions but for the most part it chops hydrilla like a vegomatic.
    For the OP--- I've not noticed it being much different.. have to turn the power up on all of them.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Or Amistad or Hubbard creek.. I tried a few different products then made my own. It will still get bogged down under the right conditions but for the most part it chops hydrilla like a vegomatic.
    For the OP--- I've not noticed it being much different.. have to turn the power up on all of them.

I haven’t been to amistad in awhile, so I’m not sure how thick it is now. Choke is getting bad, real bad. I know hydrilla is good, but we are about to start losing entire coves there. Might be time for me to buy a push pole!South and West, needs some rain (as usual).

Look for YouTube videos on NGB in thick hydrilla

If you search YouTube videos for "Ninja Grass Blade" you will see the NGB in some pretty thick hydrilla in several videos (one by me and two from NGB owners). Also, look for the video of me trying to take the NGB off and testing the 3M tape supplied.

18. Member
    I have a lot of experience running in really thick hydrilla on Choke Canyon. I also have two Ninja Grass Blades installed on a 52" 112 Ultrex. To get the best performance I adjust my TM to run just a few inches below the surface. If I run the TM too deep too much grass gets wrapped around the shaft and the prop has an issue with too much grass above and below the blade. There is nothing that will make it through heavily matted hydrilla except a push pole.

Also of note, I tried a 3 bladed prop and it did not work near as well with the NGBs. The 3 bladed prop out performed the MK prop in all other areas though and with a lower power setting.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Good call. Yeah I figured its just about impossible to go thru Choke. What about the blade grass at Bastrop? Familiar with Bastrop?

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by natchomamma View Post
    Good call. Yeah I figured its just about impossible to go thru Choke. What about the blade grass at Bastrop? Familiar with Bastrop?
    No sir, I have never been there. Is it the cabbage grass/weed (this stuff is also at Amistad and I don’t know the proper name of it, Fishnfireman might) milfoil or hydrilla? The cabbage stuff is pretty tough to cut too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast