BPS Instore Reel Shortage-Made In China?

Took the grandkids to BPS today as one still had $120 on a gift card from a year ago.
    He got the bug yesterday as I took them out to the big pond on the golf course where we caught 25+ in a couple of hours around 10 o’clock. No big ones but they were biting the crank baits.
    He wanted a new bait casting rod and got it and some other gear.
    Other one wanted his first bait casting reel and I bought it for him.
    He got the last one available-abu Garcia cheapest one for $59.
    Help had to take it off the display handle from one of only 7 different models shown on the racks that usually have 50+ reels of all makes.
    There were multiple bait casting reels over $100 in the display case.
    Didn’t need to look at those today.
    But it hit me that Maybe all the reels and rods made in China are drying up and no longer available!
    It was weird to see the reel display area so void.
    Maybe it was the Covid and they didn’t want all to touch them-but they had some out there to handle.
    Just got to thinking that we may see a major rod and reel supply shortage sometime in the future if no chinese goods are allowed in.
    I am sure someone on this board has more information about this than me-but it was my first time in store to see such a shortage in the display area for reels and some rods.

2. Banned
    Got more than I possibly ever use guess I’m good

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    Got more than I possibly ever use guess I’m good
    +1

4. Member
    we'll show those Chinese...cut off the reel supply, yeah.

5. Member
    Maybe all those in the chit bin need to be cleaned up and fixed!
    Got some old Ambassaduers that need a little cleaning and fixing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Maybe all those in the chit bin need to be cleaned up and fixed!
    Got some old Ambassaduers that need a little cleaning and fixing.
    Have several 5000/5500. Would still be using them but the Ritius Brothers set up shop in my hands. Couldn't hold on to them for a full day of fishing.

A friend told me yesterday that they went to BPS then Cabela in OKC Wednesday afternoon to pickup somethings and he claimed they had more empty slot than ones with stuff on them at both stores and The academys was empty too..

8. Banned
    Been a week or so but the BPS in broken arrow was still pretty well stocked. Haven't been to Academy which is sad because I could walk to it.

Went to Cabela's here in Maine last weekend and the place was picked clean. All the reels on rod handles for display where gone except maybe a half dozen. Plastics , lures everything wiped out. Honestly thought they might be getting ready to close the store but guess it's just a supply problem.
    Proud Army Dad

10. Member
    If I owned a store and the government shuts me down for a few months I'm certainly no going to put my capital into stock. Internet and curb side is not going to replace lost income from in store sales. Of course once this is lifted it is going to take some time for the supply chain to get back in order.

I don't know this is just my thoughts as I do not have a clue how the retail world works.

11. #FRB
    I have enough to get me through the next several years when it comes to soft plastics. Hooks, weights, and cranks are a different story.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    BPS here has lots of vacant shelves and almost zero reels other than big ocean stuff.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    If I owned a store and the government shuts me down for a few months I'm certainly no going to put my capital into stock. Internet and curb side is not going to replace lost income from in store sales. Of course once this is lifted it is going to take some time for the supply chain to get back in order.

I don't know this is just my thoughts as I do not have a clue how the retail world works.
    You probably hit the nail on the head--but the supply problem is more serious. There aren't nearly as many cargo ships running, nor are there international flights moving. China is having issues still with production as well. My information comes from people my wife knows in the Electronics industry (Places like Arrow, AvNet, etc. who handle discrete components) but I suspect it applies across the board.

There is a suspicion, of course, that China vastly under reported their infection and death toll. I'm sure it's much, much higher myself, I don't have any real evidence, other than well, everybody lies. That and there's still the 21 million cell phone accounts that were deleted during the first few months. China blamed it on 'Lifestyle changes' because 'citizens had multiple SIM cards and they were just cutting back on usage' but I don't buy that as the whole story.

If even half of those are the real deaths--their industries would have taken a pretty big hit.

Just my two cents..might be completely off base.

14. Member
    It's a two fold problem. Lots of things, like BPS reels, are made in China and those factories were shut down for a few months upsetting the supply chain. Then with COVID here the number of Americans fishing for the first time has skyrocketed. License sales are up 20-50% in most every state. So the increased demand and the decreased supply has created the perfect storm.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    It's a two fold problem. Lots of things, like BPS reels, are made in China and those factories were shut down for a few months upsetting the supply chain. Then with COVID here the number of Americans fishing for the first time has skyrocketed. License sales are up 20-50% in most every state. So the increased demand and the decreased supply has created the perfect storm.
    Above is well stated, plus you only need one itsy bitys part that is not available to stop the production line.

16. Member
    It's not just china. Made in USA products are short in supply, as are most other countries. Tons of workers are sitting at home with nothing to do, including the folks that make fishing equipment. Go fishing to pass the time. You're burning through the supply with nobody to replenish it. Those people start going back to work, but now they're still filling backlogs. It'll be a while before they get a surplus.

17. Member
    sixgill announced they are launching a made in America reel soon
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

18. Member
    When these $600/week benefits expire July 31, you will not see the shortages of Gear & AMMO. People have extra disposable income right now and they are buying up Guns and ammo and other gear. When the gravy bowl is empty things get back to normal.

19. Member
    Just back from the Bolingbrook, IL store. Needed a 36 volt trolling motor plug and receptacle. Had the plug, but no receptacle. Amazon it is.....

Tackle shelves were MAYBE 20% stocked.
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being