Thread: Night Fishing

Night Fishing

It's that time of year again for me, I hate the heat. I'm going to Lake Griffin early Sunday morning, probably arrive at the ramp at 3am and be off the water around 9:30am. Anyone else been fishing at night or super early morning lately? I miss fishing the East Lake Toho and the Winter Park Chain night tournaments, but driving from Ocala and paying those tolls sucks.
    Brad Krone

2. Banned
    You ever try Lake Deaton?

How many cans? Of BugSpray? Just chasing Armadillos out of the neighbor's yard and I am inundated by bugs..

3. Member
    No bug spray, hate that stuff..lol. Never tried Deaton. I might have to.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    Been doing the 3am to 9am for awhile on Tarpon. It's getting better weekly. Today only got 4, but all were 3 - 3 1/2 lb range. Night fishin gets harder with age, but so does that heat! Didn't get a single skeeter bite, and no spray!
    Water temp at 3am today was 89.9 to 90 degrees.
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

5. Member
    There are good night lakes closer to you.

Orange, Lochloosa, and Santa Fe lakes use to be excellent night lakes. For Orange and Lochloosa, the Musky Jitterbug use to be especially effective for big fish. I personally saw a 13 lb bass that was caught out of Lochloosa on that big Jitterbug.

I often thought that Lake Weir would be a good night Lake and that is closer to you.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 07-03-2020 at 07:30 PM.

6. Banned
    I night fish in the Everglades down here. I like it better personally. Girlfriend comes with me too. We watch the sunset and fish till whenever.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    There are good night lakes closer to you.

Orange, Lochloosa, and Santa Fe lakes use to be excellent night lakes. For Orange and Lochloosa, the Musky Jitterbug use to be especially effective for big fish. I personally saw a 13 lb bass that was caught out of Lochloosa an that big Jitterbug.

I often thought that Lake Weir would be a good night Lake and that is closer to you.
    Use to fish Lake Weir at Nights for many years. Use to spend time every summer as a kid on Lake Pierce and Lake Weir.
    I was thinking they closed the ramps at night.

8. Member
    Those lakes are closer and I will try them too. Thanks. I think the lake weir ramp is now at night too.
    Brad Krone

9. Member
    Tourn.every Wednesday from 5-8 at Scott driver in okeechobee.

10. Banned
    We used to fish night tx's on Orange Lake and Rodman Reservoir all the time back in the 80's and 90"s. We'd start at 7pm and weigh in at 7am. June, July and Aug were the months involved. It was a lot of fun and we had any where from 15 - 40 boats. Id run from one end of Rodman to the other at 2 in the morning. If you have ever seen Rodman, Its a massive stump field that averages 4-7 ft with deeper water in the channel but they used to crush it at night. I will say staying awake while driving home was difficult due to the fact that we would wrap up weigh around 8:30 and then go have breakfast. We wouldn't be on our way home until 10:00 the next morning.... and still have an hour drive home. The rest of the day was like walking through a fog bank, that's if you didn't sleep the rest of the day away that is.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 07-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.

11. Member
    Damn running rodman at night. I would be puckering. I miss the old weekly summertime tourneys on East Lake. They were from 7pm until 1am. 20 pounds bags routinely won it. I remember flipping the reed lines at night and buzzbaiting the back waters. It was a blast.
    Brad Krone

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    We used to fish night tx's on Orange Lake and Rodman Reservoir all the time back in the 80's and 90"s. We'd start at 7pm and weigh in at 7am. June, July and Aug were the months involved. It was a lot of fun and we had any where from 15 - 40 boats. Id run from one end of Rodman to the other at 2 in the morning. If you have ever seen Rodman, Its a massive stump field that averages 4-7 ft with deeper water in the channel but they used to crush it at night. I will say staying awake while driving home was difficult due to the fact that we would wrap up weigh around 8:30 and then go have breakfast. We wouldn't be on our way home until 10:00 the next morning.... and still have an hour drive home. The rest of the day was like walking through a fog bank, that's if you didn't sleep the rest of the day away that is.
    St Johns club used to fish a double night tourney on East Lake every summer. Drive down from Jax Friday night for 10 PM to 7 AM, and return Saturday night 7 PM to 7 AM. Drive back to Jax Sunday morning.

Used to fish a friday night tournament on East Lake Toho inthe late 80's.If you lined up the Aircraft light towers from the airport you could run on plane straight down the canal to the fish camp.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

14. Member
    I started fishing East Lake Toho in 1965 while stationed at McCoy AFB. I met an old man at a bait shop and after a few minutes talking he invited me to go night fishing with him. His name was Griner (Griner Lures) and he made top water blade baits and chuggers (as he called them). He took me fishing on East Lake. That night I caught 3 bass of more than ten pounds. He had me hooked on night fishing. Over the years I was fortunate to catch more than 150 bass above 10 lbs. on East Lake. We launched out of Bradley's Fish Camp or Maxi's Fish Camp. Mr. Bradley leased his fish camp to Leon Patrick and the camp was re-named Patrick's Fish camp and when Don Bell bought the property re-modeled the camp and re-named it Boggy Creek Camp Grounds. Maxi's closed when Don Bell moved in.

I have had some great fishing on that lake the past 55 years. I caught three 13 lbers and a 14 lber. there this past spring. They just finished the drawn down and removal of invasive trees, plants and grasses and are now refilling the lake. Happy fishing.