carb bowl overflow????

Gentlemen,
    I need some help.
    I rebuilt the carbs on my 1996 Johnson Venom 200 (j200stledm), all 6. Now I have 1 carb that is leaking from the brass overflow. I have checked the needle and seat, even replaced it with old ones to check it, but it is still leaking. I have set the float by holding it upside down and the free end is just ever so slightly higher than level. I also tried blowing air thru it to make sure nothing got past and that it was free when it should be open. Everything seems to be right. I put everything back together and if you pump the bulb until firm and start the engine it will flow fuel out of the overflow. It boggs down and even dies if you don't rev it a couple of times.

What I am wondering is can there be a problem with the bowl? Is it possible to tighten the carb to much and distort things enough to cause problems? All the other carbs seem to be working properly. This is the top right carb looking at it from the carb side. I have ordered another bowl to replace this one but I am not sure if that will fix my problem.

Thanks in advance everyone
    JoJo
    1994 Skeeter SX200
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 J200STLEDM

2. Member
    Did you get the rod, that the float is on, placed in the correct position? It is easy to get off a little in the slot and still get the hold down screw tight. This will cause the needle to sometimes stick. Short explanation, I hope it makes sense.

I had a float that the tab was cast into the float upside down once, took a couple of times looking at it to find that.

The float and needle and seat are what keeps the fuel at the correct level, did your carbs need the gasket under the seat or not?

Bowl with needle lip.jpg

This one did not need the seat gasket.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

4. Member
    Gentlemen,
    I switched floats and the problem seems to have gone away. I had checked the rod, float adjustment, needle and seat many times before I switched the float out. When I got the rebuild kits they came with floats so I am not sure if maybe I grabbed an old float when rebuilding that carb, or maybe it was just bad from the factory. Either way, I think everything is working correctly now.
    JoJo
    1994 Skeeter SX200
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 J200STLEDM

It sucks when your float don't float.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......