Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is a good fisherman a good fisherman?

Is a good bass fisherman going to be a good crappie, bream, trout, etc. fisherman? I have a couple of friends because of age or shoulder injuries that no longer bass fish, but now fish for bream or crappie. They were good at bass fishing and after a little time at bream and crappie fishing, are good at that. Does the converse apply? Would a good trout fisherman be good at bass fishing if they changed over? Why are some fishermen better than others? Is it physical or mental or both? Just like in any other sport, some guys seem to just be naturals. It seems that most fishermen have a favorite species and concentrate on that fish. I enjoy an occasional bream or crappie trip for a change of pace or a good meal, but I wouldn't want to do that all the time unless it was all I could do. I think if I lived where I could, I would be happy fishing for redfish all the time. One final thought: Is it the species or just being able to get out and fish that really matters? The day is coming for all of us that just getting out is going to be a challenge. Have been fishing several times recently with an older friend that is having some health issues and struggles to get in the boat. But once on the water, he still loves it. He's about 10 years older than me and it makes you wonder what the future holds. Really makes you stop and think. I sure hope it holds many more fishing trips.

2. Banned
    yes, those good at one species can excel at other species. Same goes for hunting vs fishing. Some people "think like a fish" and that helps them excel.

3. Member
    Some guys just have "IT" when it comes to fishing, regardless of species. Others will spend the time to learn the habits and locations of the species they are targeting. I enjoy just fishing, yes I like to target bass more than any other species but I still will take some worms for gills, chicken livers for catfish, dough ball for carp at times for variety. But just getting out there to enjoy nature, the fight of a fish on the line, etc...

4. Member
    What is the meaning of a "good" fisherman? What defines a good fisherman? Just curious what guys think.

5. Member
    A good trout fisherman that is good at fly fishing will be very good at it. Fly fishermen understand water, water movement, lure placement and cover better than most.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    What is the meaning of a "good" fisherman? What defines a good fisherman? Just curious what guys think.
    That's a "good" question. Someone who regularly catches a lot of fish or larger fish. One who on a given day catches more or larger than most other people did that day on the same lake. Someone who just about always does well, even on the tough days.
    Anybody that beats me.

Yes, a good fisherman is just that, no matter the species, I believe. It may take a bit to figure out a new species, but it will happen. I used to think i was a good fisherman....been wondering about that lately tho��

8. Member
    Ehhh, its also called time spent on the water. The more time you spend on the water the more the fish can be predictable.

I dunno...I pretty much suck at all techniques for all species...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 218_fishing View Post
    Ehhh, its also called time spent on the water. The more time you spend on the water the more the fish can be predictable.
    I agree that time on the water makes a difference, But if someone consistently catches fish, there are additional factors. Time on the water alone does not put fish in the boat

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    To me good means successful at both finding and catching fish targeted whether numbers or size on a consistent basis no matter the weather conditions or time of year.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’ve always believed that there are 3 main factors to catching fish, in this order: finding fish, lure selection, and technique, which includes getting the bait into the strike zone and playing/landing the fish. If you can’t find them, you’re done. And if you can’t figure out what they’re biting, results will be mediocre at best. And if you can’t get the bait where they’re living, or get them in the boat once you do, that’s not good either. *Adapability* is paramount in each of these 3 cases, and good memory also helps, sometimes. Anyone better than average in all 3 areas is a good fisherman, in my book, and changing the species doesn’t change the underlying traits or challenges, just the day-to-day specifics that need adjustment.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

13. Member
    My closest friend and I started fishing the last day of 7th grade back in 1971. We have fished nearly 50 years and he can catch anything that swims. He started at a young age with his dad and brother. Just has the ability.

The best club fisherman I knew started as a trout fisherman. But what made him better than most was the fact he was an excellent hunter. Top that off with a solid blue collar work ethic. He wasn't the highest skilled bass fisherman but he would out work most everyone.

14. Member
    Honestly I'm an average fisherman at best. I screw up a lot of hook sets, I miss a ton of fish...

But when it comes to fishing I am super lucky. Every other aspect of my life I have neutral luck, but when it comes to fishing I am lucky.

On average I get 2-3x as many bites as anyone I've ever fished with, I catch giant random other fish every trip. Every single time I go out I catch a drum or a catfish on bass lures.

Me and 2 other guys in same boat, casting same spot, same lures I will catch the fish and they will not. Maybe I'm lucky at guessing where to cast or how to present, but damn do my coanglers get annoyed.

Skill gets the fish. Luck determines whether its a 2lb'er or 5lb'er

I wouldn't know.

I have a old buddy the fishes the season. Bass Bream Crappie and Reds and Specks in the winter. Yes he catches them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    A good trout fisherman that is good at fly fishing will be very good at it. Fly fishermen understand water, water movement, lure placement and cover better than most.
    Totally agree! All bass fisherman would improve there game by learning to fly fish. Lots to learn in the fly fishing game and once learned it crosses over very well.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I don’t consider myself “good” but I’m Ok. I took time away from Bass fishing when I burned out on tournaments and I started law school. I just didn’t have the time. I started bow hunting and became obsessed! I was able to get a bay boat a little later and became pretty decent at trout, redfish and especially snook!

When I came back to bass fishing, the hunting had made me SO much better. I’m SO much more aware of what’s happening around me, when nature is awake and moving, how weather affects all animals. So, yes, I believe a good fisherman can learn whatever species he/she wants to target
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    As an experienced fly fisherman, that’s a load of crap, because all their fish are facing the same direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast