150XR6 intermittent electrical loss

Hi all, looking for someone that might have some specific suggestions on how to track and find where an electrical loss of power is occurring. Serial number OG939407.

I have a 1999 150XR6 with a jet pump on a tiller handle with ignition key in handle and push to choke. Since it is a pump it is not feasible to to run unless I'm at the water. I do have a giant tote I will submerse the pump in so I can run in the driveway, but that is currently at another location The motor itself runs perfect, but I am having an intermittent cut out of electrical power to the engine.

The engine will start fine. Generally it seems to idle ok, and usually will throttle up without cutting out, but not always. Sometimes I can run for 10-15 minutes before it starts cutting out. I thought this was a fuel delivery issue, and went through all of those steps. Yesterday I ran on portable tank and it ran for about 10 minutes. When it starts running rough I thought I was getting multiple beeps, but it turns out is is the longer beep followed by 2 beeps that you get when you turn the ignition on initially before cranking over. After cutting in and out for awhile, I shut the key off when running rough. I then tried to turn the key back on and has nothing. No beeps, no trim/tilt, just a dead stick. I used my kicker to get back to the dock. During this time I left the key in the "on" position. While pulling the boat out, it started to beep again like I had just turned the power on. Just like as if the key was on, and I flipped the battery switch on. Trim and tilt worked, and engine turned right over. It was at this time it dawned on me that the rough running and beeps were clearly related to losing all electrical power to the motor. The beeps are clearly just the initial startup beeps.

So.. usually electrical steps so far.... Checked both batteries. (switch for 1, 2 All) Checked terminals and grounds at batteries and in engine compartment. Everything is good. Checked main fuse. Connections at starter solenoid look fine. Next was going to pull apart ignition switch and crack open harness connection.

I feel very confident that there is simply a cutoff of power somehow and the dead key and TT demonstrates that. It isn't a kill switch as there would still be turnover and trim/tilt.

Any other advice? I'm not positive how power routes in. Another friend said that he thought it had to be on the ignition/key side but didn't know if there were any relays or anything else that may be there that could potentially cutoff power to the engine. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    remove batt switch first to eliminate that possiblity
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................