Leaf Spring Repair?

I just replaced the tires and wheel bearings on my trailer. Found I have need to replace the bushings on the leaf springs.
    There is a trailer shop close by that told me that it's not that hard of a job to replace the bushings myself and they could sale me the parts,
    or they will be glad to do it.
    I'm debating on doing this job myself, or letting them tackle the job in case things don't go smoothly.
    They tell me getting the old bushings out and new ones in are not much of a problem; but I don't want to remove the spring from the axle because of possible alignment
    problems.
    They said I should be able to drive out the old ones with a punch or old screwdriver. Drive the new ones in with a hammer and block of wood.
    Single axle Trailstar trailer.
    Should it be a fairly simple job or not?

You might be able to install them with a big c-clamp if the fit isn't too tight.

3. Member
    The hardest part of the job will be getting the bolts loose. When I did mine I took one end of the spring loose at a time and push the old bushing out and the new bushing in. I would put the bolt in that end and do the other end.

4. Member
    YouTube is ur friend.

If I were doin all that I’d install Dexter Wet Bolts
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    I had already checked You-Tube. I had it jacked up already replacing the wheel bearings. I checked the bolts; so far I have been able to loosen the one side.
    Looking now at the Dexter Wet Bolts. I had not seen any problems with my springs; but from now on I think I will replaced the bushings every few years.
    I had more wear than I would have thought.
    Thanks for the replies.

Replace the bolts with NEW SS bolts and Nyloc nuts. Also, check the center bolt that keeps the spring leafs together. It's a pretty easy DIY project.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents