Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for a new tin

Thinking of selling my 2017 198P and buying a Vexus 2080 but the nearest dealer is around 2 and a half hours away so I haven't had a chance to check one out up close and personal. Was wondering if people are happy with their Vexus. I know I will get an extra 50 HP but how does the Vexus stack up compared to the 198P?

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Why would you spend all that $$ on a Tin w/ a 200?
    I would look at a BCB or Triton package if I wanted to bump up to a 200...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

3. Member
    I think you may need to ask some questions on the Vexus board.

4. Member
    Liking mine so far. It’s is the AVX 1880. I had a hard time with justifying the cost of a 2080. I think the 1980 would be the best buy in my opinion. I went with the 1880 to keep my payment down but 1980 was very appealing. So far I just finished up 2 hr break in. I’m liking how it handles! The finish and features of the boat are impressive.46085C4B-F643-4EC4-A079-D1726DB6DA83.jpeg28C29D02-1D58-483A-AD4E-B8F98BC7CFE4.jpeg45E82D54-4006-49C3-ACC5-ECE6377A4CA7.jpeg
    2022 Avid 20XB | 2022 Yamaha SHO 200 | Minn Kota Raptors | Hummingbird and Garmin electronics

5. Member
    I also own a Vexus AVX 1880 tin, LOVING IT!! But as Texoma mentioned to the OP, go over to the Vexus board. There are several 2080 owners on there that will gladly share their experiences with you. Best of luck boat shopping.
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    I have had glass Rangers and a Stroker but am getting older and a tin is much easier for me to tow and take care of and at this point in my life i'm fortunate to not have to care how much it costs. Also I don't need to go as fast as I used to but still want to be able to get up and go.

I can't compare the 2080 to the 198P, but I can compare the 1980 to an RT188. My buddy in SC had a RT188 for 6 years and last January got a 1980. The Vexus is light years ahead in terms of ride, size of storage and dryness of the storage, fit and finish, and quality of construction.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I can't compare the 2080 to the 198P, but I can compare the 1980 to an RT188. My buddy in SC had a RT188 for 6 years and last January got a 1980. The Vexus is light years ahead in terms of ride, size of storage and dryness of the storage, fit and finish, and quality of construction.
    Just curious, what is the approximate price comparison?

9. Member
    The 2080 equipped the same as my 198P is around 9 grand more but that's according to the build price on the Vexus web site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    Just curious, what is the approximate price comparison?
    I can't say, as I never asked my buddy what he paid and he never volunteered the information.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post

Did you really suggest a Triton? While including it in the same line as a BCB?
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

12. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    I never claimed to be a very smart man.....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

This boat is a lot cheaper then I see a lot of the used Vexus boats out there.....

https://www.boattrader.com/boats/mak...model-cx-18ss/

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Whats your issue with a Triton? You really are a hypocrite with your comments, cry if someone comments about Vexus with anything but rave reviews and rail against other brands. Vexus makes a nice rig, poster was just giving options. Im not a brand loyalist, like my boat, and has great value. All he was suggesting. Spare me your vexus warrior reply.

15. Member
    Only on BBC can a thread asking about tin boats, in the Tin Boat forum nonetheless, become a pissing contest about fiberglass boats.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

16. Member
    Ha, not a pissing match - i didnt bring up the options. Just tired of seeing jones whine about vexus detractors and do the same thing to other brands. Sorry i didnt mean to take away from the thread, just tired of seeing his BS. All good brands, i am not a hater. Been in both the 19 and 198, the vexus is a better option in my opinion, and differences from the 19 to 20 for me dont warrant the extra money. Think the poster was just implying at these prices you can also find a glass boat for around the same. If glass is of no interest then just disregard it.

Next boat will be an aluminum, so i am not pushing glass.
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 07-11-2020 at 07:15 AM.

17. Member
    Nothing wrong at all with a Triton product. Heck, the boat Roy got not too long ago is a dream boat if you ask me. I'd be darn proud to tow that behind my pickup anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Ha, not a pissing match - i didnt bring up the options. Just tired of seeing jones whine about vexus detractors and do the same thing to other brands. Sorry i didnt mean to take away from the thread, just tired of seeing his BS. All good brands, i am not a hater. Been in both the 19 and 198, the vexus is a better option in my opinion, and differences from the 19 to 20 for me dont warrant the extra money. Think the poster was just implying at these prices you can also find a glass boat for around the same. If glass is of no interest then just disregard it.

Next boat will be an aluminum, so i am not pushing glass.
    Amen to that. Good post couldnt agree more its 200% truth. If you want to spend that kind of coin on a tin thats your choice. For me that kind of money on a repurposed beer can is not a cost effective choice. Doesnt make it right or wrong just whats right for me. The quality is primo and most on here know im picky especially those that have bought accessories from me fit finish and rigging is outstanding i made very few changes so yea i will say Triton in the same sentence as Basscat. I got to look at 2 vexus boats up close they are far from perfect. Nice rigs but not flawless.
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 07-11-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Thinking of selling my 2017 198P and buying a Vexus 2080 but the nearest dealer is around 2 and a half hours away so I haven't had a chance to check one out up close and personal. Was wondering if people are happy with their Vexus. I know I will get an extra 50 HP but how does the Vexus stack up compared to the 198P?
    If you asking the folks who have purchased a Vexus if they are happy of course they will say it is the best boat they ever bought.

If you asking the folks who have purchased a Ranger if they are happy of course they will say it is the best boat they ever bought.

Back in 2004 I have a G3 Eagle 175. This "fiberglass like ride" that everyone talks about with these V boats is nothing new. My old boat was smooth as silk and had a stepped, solid hull.

Another thing you keep on hearing is "it is a dry ride". You know what. My 2006 Grizzly Tracker has a very dry ride due to the hull and size of the gunnels. And like all the other boats out there when you get into certain situations your dry ride is now a wet one.

Any time you rivet, form, weld or bend aluminum it becomes weaker. Some boat makers have gotten really good at this, some not so much.

When it comes time for me I am not going to spend my hard earned money on a rig that is as good as a fiberglass boat. There's just too many great options out there right now in the glass market.

20. Southern Cross Crappie
    ​
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    If you asking the folks who have purchased a Vexus if they are happy of course they will say it is the best boat they ever bought.

If you asking the folks who have purchased a Ranger if they are happy of course they will say it is the best boat they ever bought.

Back in 2004 I have a G3 Eagle 175. This "fiberglass like ride" that everyone talks about with these V boats is nothing new. My old boat was smooth as silk and had a stepped, solid hull.

Another thing you keep on hearing is "it is a dry ride". You know what. My 2006 Grizzly Tracker has a very dry ride due to the hull and size of the gunnels. And like all the other boats out there when you get into certain situations your dry ride is now a wet one.

Any time you rivet, form, weld or bend aluminum it becomes weaker. Some boat makers have gotten really good at this, some not so much.

When it comes time for me I am not going to spend my hard earned money on a rig that is as good as a fiberglass boat. There's just too many great options out there right now in the glass market.

Apparently you haven't seen some of the Ranger owners posts! That being said, I do love my new 198p.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast