Anyone regret not going bigger?? 819/919/PHX19 vs all debate

Well the time has come for me to really get serious about purchasing my new rig. My last boat was a 2004 Ranger 521vx, it was a great boat but very dated... I had a deposit on a 2014 Legend 211R that fell through, Ive ALWAYS been a Legend fan boy but I'm now taking that deal as a sign that it wasn't meant to be and I would really like to get into a boat that is still in business. So I believe I want to be part of the Phoenix family. I would be hunting for a 721,920,921 etc. but the more I think about trying to cram that into my garage I'm not sure if I even want to deal with that.

That being said, good friend of mine has a 2019 819 Pro and we fish tourneys together, that is a hell of a 19' boat! We got into some very high winds and big rollers last week and I'm still amazed on how well that boat took that stuff! Boat also goes plenty fast for me and with the 20' garage I can notch the back wall and pull the thing in perfectly straight without having to fight the tandem axle trailer every time I want to go fish. My one fear is that I'm going to regret I didn't go bigger. Don't get me wrong this probably wont be my last boat (I'm 30) but I'm in a spot right now where I can get something used and go big or look for something very slightly used or even new maybe and stick in the 19' class. I really, really want that 4stroke merc too!

Any regrets from guys that went 19 and wish they went bigger?? Thanks guys, to shed some light I primarily fish east Texas lakes (Fork mainly)
    Last edited by tjbev13; 07-02-2020 at 07:09 AM.

2. Member
    I run an 819 and love it as well. Fishes better than many 20' boats on the market that's for sure. I've ridden in 920/921s and no doubt they are nice but I went the new route and don't regret at all.

3. Member
    I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago. I sold my Z518 Ranger and knew I wanted to go bigger. I was really looking at the 819/919, but the dealer had a 721 that I couldn’t turn down. It is way more boat for a small amount of money comparatively. Find a 721 with the options that you want and then compare prices. The 721 (with dual PPs, Helix 12/10, etc.) was only 4 grand more than the 919 in my case. When I took a look at them side by side, my mind was made up instantly.

4. Member
    I was limited on garage space. That was my only limitation. Wife would not allow me to move just to have a bigger boat cause we are in a new house (3 years old). With that said, I was able to order me one of the first 2019 19 PHX's. I loaded that boat out. I mean, I got just about every option you could upgrade to. I've been in a 20 PHX and the only difference is just a few inches on the bow and in the back deck. Visually, it looks the same and I have produced a video on that topic on my Youtube page (Big Jim Fishing). The only thing that I would change is two 12" Solix on the console instead of a 15" Solix and I plan on adding another 12" Solix on the bow with a 360 Mega imaging.

I run an 819 and it definitely fishes bigger than it is. I wouldn’t have a bit of issue buying the same size boat unless I just found a screaming deal on a 721 or something.

6. Member
    Really liking my 819.....went from a 21'10" boat to it and would do it again. Love the wider front deck.

I have an 8 year old 619 and it's all the boat I need. Plus anything bigger will not fit in the garage. The only reason i could see for getting a bigger boat is more front deck space so that 2 guys could fish up front. It is doable in my 619, but space gets a little tight with 2 guys up front.

8. Member
    Appreciate all of the help guys! I think I will weigh my options but if i want to go the new route and fit it in the garage i think a jammed out 819 is all i need!

9. Member
    The only issue I had with my 919 was getting the rods in and out of the rod box while the passenger console was in the boat, had to bend them a great deal to get them in or out. If I could have ran a single console boat I would still have mine! I have a 21 phx now and both are great rigs!

10. Member
    I run a 19PHX and as mentioned above... it was really about it fitting in the garage for me. Then when big_jim posted the video showing the difference between the 19 and the 20... I was really glad I stuck with the 19. Never fished a 20+ foot phoenix so I cant tell you how well it fishes compared to that but it handles these Northern California Big waters really well. I'm very happy with it so far. In my opinion you should either go 19' or 21'.
    2020 Phoenix 19PHX, Mercury 225 ProXS V8 fourstroke

11. Member
    The 19’er fish plenty good. I do not regret getting the 819. With that said I’m a firm believer in buying the biggest you can except in special circumstances. My garage was the limiting factor for me. Wallet was a close second. If i had more room i would have most likely gone with a new 721 or a used 920-921.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

You'll be able to out run most 250's and maneuver the docks better when you get there! Seriously, it all depends on your fishing, storing and hauling needs. For me, the 919 can do it all. She's a lil' get'r!