Marinco plug issues

I have had an ultrex on my boat since last year using a marinco plug. Batteries were about 6 years old and noticed end of last season and beginning of this season they weren’t lasting as long as before. They were 27 series and a couple weeks ago replaced with 31’s. Yesterday I fished the St.Lawrence River so was on the trolling motor pretty good and it lasted an 11 hour day with no drop in performance all day. Got home last night and went to charge the batteries and when I went to unplug the trolling motor (like I always do before charging) the plug won’t come apart. It doesn’t smell burnt at all but I’m pretty sure it got hot and is melted together. I plugged it in yesterday when I got to the river so I know it wasn’t like that before. I’m going to tear into it tonight but my question is did the 31 series batteries have anything to do with that or did it just so happen that I ran it harder than normal and the plugs time was just up and it needs replaced?? I’ve read that these plugs aren’t the best but I have never had this issue with it ever with any of the trolling motors before and I used to run 31’s in the boat before I had the 27’s. Is it possible I just had a poor connection in there and because I ran it hard in the current and the new batteries were so strong that it found the weak link and I just need to clean the connections once I get it apart??

2. Member
    The odds are you had a poor connection or a loose wire. Certainly not caused by going with 31's.

3. Member
    Agree with Bill. It started with the 6 year old batteries and it just so happen it was it's time.

4. Member
    I am not a boat mechanic and between mine and 2 friends,we all had loose wires on the plugs causing burning(blackenned wires and plugs) They need to be checked for tightness now and then. The bow has a lot more vibration and shock than most screw on connections can stand up to forever. When they get black replace them. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Member
    Yeah I obviously had a bad connection in there. Tore into it this morning and it’s so badly melted together I broke a screwdriver trying to pry them apart. On my way to the marina right now to get both new ends.

6. Member
    Had that happen at least once.;-) I have always kept a liberal amount of dilectric grease in the male and female ends of the plug. I check them at the beginning of the season. Since doing so I have not lost a plug since. I had one catch on fire. No bueno!

7. Member
    Inspect the wiring. You may have to cut some off. Don't use the part that turned black.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    Yeah I obviously had a bad connection in there. Tore into it this morning and it’s so badly melted together I broke a screwdriver trying to pry them apart. On my way to the marina right now to get both new ends.
    Don't use the plugs for disconnect, use a switchable breaker to cycle the power, constantly using any quick disconnect will loosen the pin fit causing a poor connection resulting in this, The plug should only be used to to make service quicker and easier, If you disconnect the plug every trip out you have to expect this problem and must replace them frequently
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Don't use the plugs for disconnect, use a switchable breaker to cycle the power, constantly using any quick disconnect will loosen the pin fit causing a poor connection resulting in this, The plug should only be used to to make service quicker and easier, If you disconnect the plug every trip out you have to expect this problem and must replace them frequently
    You know I never thought of that happening by unplugging it all the time but it makes sense. I owned motorguide trolling motors before this ultrex and they were notorious for the boards going bad and turning themselves on under the covers if they were left plugged in and burning themselves out. I replaced the Marinco plug with the minn Kota one now so hopefully it doesn’t give me anymore issues. In fact on the weekend I used it pretty hard when the compressor mounting bolts on my optimax broke off and I was stranded 5 miles from the launch��*♂️ Ran it on 8 continuous for almost the whole trip back to the ramp and not even the slightest bit of heat in the plug this time. If my dealer has a hard time getting me a compressor this week I might be spending lots of time on the trolling motor in the future����*♂️