Thread: deck lights

deck lights

Hey guys, probably not the right forum but just bought a 2020 F205 but need to add deck lights. I have ordered the factory ones from Falcon($5.50 a piece) and have been told to use a 3/4" hole saw, tape it so as not to chip gel coat. Question is do you use bi-metal or carbide teeth? Thanks in advance for the input.

2. Banned
    I would use bimetal, fine teeth. Run the hole saw in reverse at first to get through the gel coat.

3. Member
    Thank you Riccochet for your response.

4. Member
    Are you sure that's a ¾" hole? They look (on the site) darned close to the Oznium bolts. The 10mm Ozniums don't come close to a ¾" mounting hole. Don't remember right offhand, but they may use a 3/8" or right around that. And the 6mm are only the size of a pencil eraser, with the hole(s) being even smaller. Had I known how bright the 6mm were, I'd put them all the way around, rather than 10mm in the front and 6mm in the back.

As for getting the hole. If you're using a hole saw, make sure you have one with a pilot bit in the middle. Better option would be a straight small bit to start the hole, then a ¾" to finish. And yes... tape it first, then drill backwards to make your cut before drilling forwards.

Don't want to anger the gods, so you'll need to Google Oznium bolts.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

5. Member
    Thanks Dixie, in fairness they are in the mail to me and hopefully be here tomorrow for a weekend project. The helpful young lady i was speaking to from Falcon, she went and asked Opie who i recognize from some of the BLat video's and my dealer speaks very highly of. I might have misunderstood her but i asked her to find out what they use to drill these holes and i thought she said 3/4"(19mm) hole saw. I know hole saw for sure.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    Don't want to anger the gods, so you'll need to Google Oznium bolts.
    lol, right. God forbid you link to a product without having sifted through all 300 board sponsor sites to see if they sell it. Sheeeeit, they don't even have to sell it on their site, just be able to order it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trainspotter View Post
    Thanks Dixie, in fairness they are in the mail to me and hopefully be here tomorrow for a weekend project. The helpful young lady i was speaking to from Falcon, she went and asked Opie who i recognize from some of the BLat video's and my dealer speaks very highly of. I might have misunderstood her but i asked her to find out what they use to drill these holes and i thought she said 3/4"(19mm) hole saw. I know hole saw for sure.
    I would be skeered of a hole saw on gelcoat. The chances of it splitting are pretty well up there. If so, I'd do a LOT of reverse drilling before I went forward. Get it where it's cut down into the surface pretty good then go forward.
    I used a regular drill for mine.

The hardest part is getting the threaded locking rings screwed on from behind. I gave up after a while on the really tight areas and just used 3M 5200 black marine sealant. Actually I used it on all of them, but some have nothing but the sealant. Apply some strong tape (painters tape can work if you have some sort of bite) then let it sit for a couple days. MAKE SURE you test, test, and re-test all of them before installing. Might have a dead one out of the box. After the sealant dries I'd do the final wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    lol, right. God forbid you link to a product without having sifted through all 300 board sponsor sites to see if they sell it. Sheeeeit, they don't even have to sell it on their site, just be able to order it.
    Uhhhh huh.... and as the saying goes "therein lies the rub".

Anyone want to see photos of the 10mm and 6mm Ozniums, mssg me with an e-mail or phone # and I'll send you some photos. They are really nice! I did red around the deck, with blue in the trolling motor pedal recess, between the back seats, right next to the splash well, and 6" strips under both consoles. Run everything (including the NightFishion HD8 rub rail) to wireless relays that I control with main color matched push button kill switches, and a wireless key fob. The red LED's draw zero bugs at night. The blue ones almost none, but provide plenty enough light to see to retie, reconnect etc..
    Then I can shut them off and leave only the red ones on.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken