Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ICAST 2020 in 2 weeks... what new stuff will be announced !!

It should be interesting this year.
    2017 Lund alaskan 1800 Side Console 90hp, Lvl 2. Merc mon
    Ultrex iPilot Link, Console Solix Mega 12SI, Bow Helix 12 SI/DI GPS bow, and humminbird 360 / SI on bow..

2. Member
    I think Covid may squash some of the new stuff for Icast. RnD shutdown, supply chain gone......... Introducing a “prototype” with no means to manufacture it and supply a finished product to sell in mass seems unlikely. Oh wait, I forgot about Perspective, Live Sight, Mega360........................................... ..............................................
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

3. Member
    My bet is another rip off of Livescope by Johnson Outdoors this time.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzebacksmb View Post
    lol, prob call it Down Periscope

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bronzebacksmb View Post
    I have used JO products for a long time and "rip off" isn't their deal if the past is any indication. If you want to talk "rip off" lets look back at the lawsuit lowrance had against garmin.

I'm hoping they come out with something so good it blasts LS out of the water. I'm sick of my $5500 worth of equipment being screwed by a software update.

6. Member
    I'm hoping for something from HB as well. Guess it would be asking for too much for Garmin to find a real fix for ALL of us with know issues. :)

Hopefully a Livescope that works correctly.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    I'm hoping for something from HB as well. Guess it would be asking for too much for Garmin to find a real fix for ALL of us with know issues. :)
    That fix will involve abandoning Perspective Mode as it is now. Pandoras Box was unfortunately opened and they’re not ready to close it yet. The obvious fix is separate Perspective/LS Systems or a Combined LS/Perspective System with new ducer and possibly a new box. Neither of those seem unlikely at this time.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    I have used JO products for a long time and "rip off" isn't their deal if the past is any indication. If you want to talk "rip off" lets look back at the lawsuit lowrance had against garmin.

I'm hoping they come out with something so good it blasts LS out of the water. I'm sick of my $5500 worth of equipment being screwed by a software update.
    Hey Pfizer, I can certainly understand your frustration with the Livescope software being messed up since the introduction of Perspective mode; however I want to give you something to think about before you jump ship. I’ve owned all the top units from Lowrance and Humminbird, please DO NOT think they don’t have problems, they do way more than Garmin. The only credit I will give is to Lowrance with the new Live Sight units, and those units only. A buddy of mine gave Lowrance one more shot and so far so good, I was impressed with the huge change from the Carbons. All other version all the way back to the first generation HDS units were awful. I won’t EVER run another Lowrance based on the number of units I owned and the countless calls to their customer service. They have horrible customer service, out of five stars I wouldn’t give them one. So I jumped ship and bought into Humminbird’s Mega imaging and purchased four 12” Solix Mega’s, that was just over $12k in units not to mention new mounts, all new accessories etc - Big chunk of change. Right out of the box nothing but glitchy software problems. Call after call, each time it was change this setting, do this, do that, I was even a beta tester for a few of their updates before they officially posted them. The only thing that kept me from loosing my mind at the time was they have good, not great, customer service and you talk to someone who speaks English. Solix first generation Humminbird released over a dozen updates to fix a handful of glitches that countless people were reporting. They would fix one issue that would create two more. All the updates stretched over the two year tenure and what do you know it was time for the second generation to be released. Did the Gen 2’s resolve the software settings - NOPE. Spending another $6k I purchased two of the Solix Mega Gen 2’s and had the help from some of the best out there, even others here on BBC, no luck. Every time I changed one thing it botched other settings. I kept all my units up to date, and even took them to Humminbird because I’m only 45 minutes away. Got them back saying they didn’t find anything wrong. I wasn’t leaving with that answer. I spoke to a tech, explained what was happening, “that will be fixed in the next software release.” Oh so in the mean time forget the fact that I have over $18k invested in your product, just suck it up in the mean time? Software released - Hot Garbage. They still have the same software issues from the first gen’s. Their Global setting issue is the biggest one. “Go in and turn all global settings off” that’s “supposed” to allow you to manually change everything, yup sure does until you change another setting or the unit does its own thing upon restart. Craziest was every time you update them it would over ride your previous stuff. I was just fed up with the glitches and definitely chasing updates in hopes to fix one thing that messed up another. When they work you can get some awesome pictures, but... Humminbird is now due for the Gen 3 Solix’s, maybe they will have the bugs fixed, I wasn’t sticking around to find out. There’s a lot more details but I’m already typing a book. Some of course will say I never had those problems and they may not have, but check out their forums and it’s all over. I was fed up to were I wasn’t enjoying fishing because every time I went out I spent more time messing with settings that it became very frustrating. Some will say “he doesn’t know what he’s doing” I would challenge anyone on any brand, I know how to read and use electronics with the best of them. I help / teach many locals to include the high school and college fishing teams, I’m very confident in my abilities.

Spending another $15k+ I converted to all 12” Garmin’s and LiveScope - WOW I’m enjoying fishing again, and when I change a setting it sticks and works. Garmin’s customer service is great, and they are well aware of the perspective issues. Easy answer is to remove the perspective software until they get it right, but think about the back lash that will bring from a marketing standpoint. I know what your thinking, “how many Livescope consumers have horribly operating units because of perspective mode.” I don’t disagree, I would vote to remove perspective software until it’s corrected. Garmin will not, but they are taking a lot of backlash from it and are working hard to make it all work. Having owned all, after speaking to them in lengths, it may take some time but Garmin will make it right.

I know this doesn’t fix your current headache; however I lived a multi-brand testing headache that was very costly. My Garmin’s are fantastic and again I’ve run the “best” of all three brands. The UHD produces equally as good of pictures the Solix Megas did. Mega vs. UHD it’s just a name, but both run at 1.2 MHz.

Very informative write-up..I have also had the big 3 but have all Garmin now completely Networked. The last update really helped the SI/ClearVu but am hoping for more improvement soon. I am a jig fisherman so I am not having some of the LS problems that some of my friends are..

If you have any images of SI/ClearVu, I would really like to see a few..I still like this technology..If you have images & prefer not to post please send them to me via PM.

Again, good write-up

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

11. Member
    The UHD produces equally as good of pictures the Solix Megas did. Mega vs. UHD it’s just a name, but both run at 1.2 MHz.
    Absolutely false.

Dead horse time......but Garmin's UHD is at the very bottom of ALL brands imaging quality in the mega range. If you're reading this and havent yet made up your mind on a brand for side and down imaging, understand that Garmin's imaging dosnt compare to Lowrance 3n1 or SS3D, Humminbird Mega, or Raymarine's Hypervision.

Sure, it will get the job done for identifying structure...barely. BUT NOT FISH. YOU WILL MISS SEEING FISH ON GARMINS SIDE AND DOWN IMAGING COMPARED TO THE OTHER BRANDS.

Sorry, not looking to bash Garmin as I have some. But misinformation based on fan-boi 'ism of ANY brand needs called out.

Chief, as bad as I hate to agree with you, I do. I have absolutely not seen any SI/DI images as clear as Royt's & Wayne P's Humminbird Mega units.Garmin has improved & I am hoping for more improvement because I am running all Garmins now..I am advancing in age and have made up my mind to shoot for October for improvement or I will jump ship for HB..I truly like the quality of the Garmin units better than HB but the images are not close "yet"..

Keeping fingers crossed for improvement by October...Time marches on..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

13. Member
    Im right there with you, Donny. I would love to settle on one brand and be satisfied.

Garmin is sooo close. My only issues being improved fish images, and Homeport improvement or at least recording playback on the unit ability.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Absolutely false.

Dead horse time......but Garmin's UHD is at the very bottom of ALL brands imaging quality in the mega range. If you're reading this and havent yet made up your mind on a brand for side and down imaging, understand that Garmin's imaging dosnt compare to Lowrance 3n1 or SS3D, Humminbird Mega, or Raymarine's Hypervision.

Sure, it will get the job done for identifying structure...barely. BUT NOT FISH. YOU WILL MISS SEEING FISH ON GARMINS SIDE AND DOWN IMAGING COMPARED TO THE OTHER BRANDS.

Sorry, not looking to bash Garmin as I have some. But misinformation based on fan-boi 'ism of ANY brand needs called out.
    "Fan-boi'ism" WOW always one in the crowd.... unreal. I won't get into any back and forth with anyone, but your reply is pathetic and certainly shows your lack of maturity. We could have easily had a professional conversation, or a professional disagreement but your opportunity has passed. Everything I posted is fact based on my experiences. Go back and read my post, I did shout out Lowrance for their Live Units. I also never said Humminbird was terrible, I spoke about the glitchy software, never said the image was bad. When and only when the Solix units worked they produced great images; however, it's no new news about the software issues. FOR ME comparing MEGA to UHD I see equally the same and can put you on fish with no problem. The greatest thing about my Garmin's is they always work, that was the simple point I was trying to make. I wasn't coming on here saying one was better than another. Remember everyone will have different experiences based on their set up and the type of water they fish. I wish you all the best and Semper Fi!

15. Member
    settle down there

Enjoy your Garmins.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Hey Pfizer, I can certainly understand your frustration with the Livescope software being messed up since the introduction of Perspective mode; however I want to give you something to think about before you jump ship. I’ve owned all the top units from Lowrance and Humminbird, please DO NOT think they don’t have problems, they do way more than Garmin. The only credit I will give is to Lowrance with the new Live Sight units, and those units only. A buddy of mine gave Lowrance one more shot and so far so good, I was impressed with the huge change from the Carbons. All other version all the way back to the first generation HDS units were awful. I won’t EVER run another Lowrance based on the number of units I owned and the countless calls to their customer service. They have horrible customer service, out of five stars I wouldn’t give them one. So I jumped ship and bought into Humminbird’s Mega imaging and purchased four 12” Solix Mega’s, that was just over $12k in units not to mention new mounts, all new accessories etc - Big chunk of change. Right out of the box nothing but glitchy software problems. Call after call, each time it was change this setting, do this, do that, I was even a beta tester for a few of their updates before they officially posted them. The only thing that kept me from loosing my mind at the time was they have good, not great, customer service and you talk to someone who speaks English. Solix first generation Humminbird released over a dozen updates to fix a handful of glitches that countless people were reporting. They would fix one issue that would create two more. All the updates stretched over the two year tenure and what do you know it was time for the second generation to be released. Did the Gen 2’s resolve the software settings - NOPE. Spending another $6k I purchased two of the Solix Mega Gen 2’s and had the help from some of the best out there, even others here on BBC, no luck. Every time I changed one thing it botched other settings. I kept all my units up to date, and even took them to Humminbird because I’m only 45 minutes away. Got them back saying they didn’t find anything wrong. I wasn’t leaving with that answer. I spoke to a tech, explained what was happening, “that will be fixed in the next software release.” Oh so in the mean time forget the fact that I have over $18k invested in your product, just suck it up in the mean time? Software released - Hot Garbage. They still have the same software issues from the first gen’s. Their Global setting issue is the biggest one. “Go in and turn all global settings off” that’s “supposed” to allow you to manually change everything, yup sure does until you change another setting or the unit does its own thing upon restart. Craziest was every time you update them it would over ride your previous stuff. I was just fed up with the glitches and definitely chasing updates in hopes to fix one thing that messed up another. When they work you can get some awesome pictures, but... Humminbird is now due for the Gen 3 Solix’s, maybe they will have the bugs fixed, I wasn’t sticking around to find out. There’s a lot more details but I’m already typing a book. Some of course will say I never had those problems and they may not have, but check out their forums and it’s all over. I was fed up to were I wasn’t enjoying fishing because every time I went out I spent more time messing with settings that it became very frustrating. Some will say “he doesn’t know what he’s doing” I would challenge anyone on any brand, I know how to read and use electronics with the best of them. I help / teach many locals to include the high school and college fishing teams, I’m very confident in my abilities.

Spending another $15k+ I converted to all 12” Garmin’s and LiveScope - WOW I’m enjoying fishing again, and when I change a setting it sticks and works. Garmin’s customer service is great, and they are well aware of the perspective issues. Easy answer is to remove the perspective software until they get it right, but think about the back lash that will bring from a marketing standpoint. I know what your thinking, “how many Livescope consumers have horribly operating units because of perspective mode.” I don’t disagree, I would vote to remove perspective software until it’s corrected. Garmin will not, but they are taking a lot of backlash from it and are working hard to make it all work. Having owned all, after speaking to them in lengths, it may take some time but Garmin will make it right.

I know this doesn’t fix your current headache; however I lived a multi-brand testing headache that was very costly. My Garmin’s are fantastic and again I’ve run the “best” of all three brands. The UHD produces equally as good of pictures the Solix Megas did. Mega vs. UHD it’s just a name, but both run at 1.2 MHz.
    Mate you are absolutely on the money and the garmin si and di is excellent I came from HB as well greatest thing I have done in my fishing life

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigdog72 View Post
    Mate you are absolutely on the money and the garmin si and di is excellent I came from HB as well greatest thing I have done in my fishing life
    Glad you're enjoying yours as much as I am.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post

I know this doesn’t fix your current headache; however I lived a multi-brand testing headache that was very costly. My Garmin’s are fantastThe UHD produces equally as good of pictures the Solix Megas did. Mega vs. UHD it’s just a name, but both run at 1.2 MHz.
    uhd is not even close to mega. Never has been. Garmin is at the bottom of the list with raymarine.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    uhd is not even close to mega. Never has been. Garmin is at the bottom of the list with raymarine.
    It’s a pity that all brands can’t share a common “language”.
    Imagine the possibilities if you could network a mega 360 transducer and Livescope to your Simrad MFD, with your Motorguide TM and Power Poles..

Dammit, a boy can dream

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast